19 NR Points for ELK

Billinsd

I'm 57 and getting a hip replacement in March. I'm still in pretty good shape. I can shoot a bow, muzzy, and rifle. I'd like a good opportunity at a 300 plus bull. Several opportunities in a hunt would be nice. I'll also hire a guide. I'd rather do a rifle, or muzzy hunt than archery. I'd like to dump my points in the next 5 or 6 years. Is it worth it to wait another 5 or 6 years?

Thanks! I got 19 points in NV, 18 in Utah, and 17 in Az for elk. I don't want to draw two or three for the same fall. I'm planning what order I want to do this also.

Right now it's a matter of where to apply to hunt elk next fall?

Billinsd
Are you aware of how the draw systems work in each of those states?

Have you been on each of the states
website and looked at the drawing statistics?

Thanks, yes, I know pretty much how the draws work in each state. Yes, I've been looking at statistics too. After looking at Arizona and Utah, I'm thinking I want to dump my points in Utah next year and get points in AZ and NV. I only want to actually apply for one elk hunt in Az, Nv, or Utah each year. I think I'll start with Utah next year, because I'll probably draw a hunt I'll really like. The next step up in quality I won't likely draw in my lifetime. Az I'm about 3 or 4 years away from a great hunt, I'd like. I'm not sure where I am in Nv right now with 19pts? Can I wait 5 more years for better unit or does it matter?

It’s good that you are doing research and understanding how the draw systems work.
As you know unlike Utah and Arizona Nevada does not have bonus tags that go to the highest point holders.
Nevada’s draw system is totally random however they do square your points that gives you an increased advantage over applicants with fewer points than you have. In reality drawing a tag in Nevada is kind of like getting struck by lightning you never know when it might happen. I would suggest always applying for a hunt in Nevada just in case you happen to get lucky. The more times you apply the better your chances of drawing. Another thing I would suggest since you’re considering hiring a guide is to call a few of them in the Ely area and get on board with them. They usually book up very fast even a year or two in advance so you need to stay on it.
Also if something crazy did happen and you were lucky enough to draw two tags in the same year you could always return one of them if you couldn’t make the hunt.

Just about any unit in Nevada you have a great shot at a 300 the problem is now 072-074 has too many hunters it’s hard to complete with the guides in the area. 072 black powder with a guide would give you a chance at 350ish bulls in the rut. It will be some better odds and definitely better hunting than rifle hunts later in the year.

It’s good that you are doing research and understanding how the draw systems work.
As you know unlike Utah and Arizona Nevada does not have bonus tags that go to the highest point holders.
Nevada’s draw system is totally random however they do square your points that gives you an increased advantage over applicants with fewer points than you have. In reality drawing a tag in Nevada is kind of like getting struck by lightning you never know when it might happen. I would suggest always applying for a hunt in Nevada just in case you happen to get lucky. The more times you apply the better your chances of drawing. Another thing I would suggest since you’re considering hiring a guide is to call a few of them in the Ely area and get on board with them. They usually book up very fast even a year or two in advance so you need to stay on it.
Also if something crazy did happen and you were lucky enough to draw two tags in the same year you could always return one of them if you couldn’t make the hunt.

Although in Utah, they changed it this year. You can NOT return your tag unless medical or military reason.

Robiland, just wondering where you read this information? I just looked at new regs and can’t find what your saying. I do see that you need to turn it in at least 30 days prior to start of season or you forfeit your points, but not reading what you stated above.

Robiland, just wondering where you read this information? I just looked at new regs and can’t find what your saying. I do see that you need to turn it in at least 30 days prior to start of season or you forfeit your points, but not reading what you stated above.
This new rule is also mentioned on the Utah forum in the 17 points topic. I also would like to see where it is in writing.

Just about any unit in Nevada you have a great shot at a 300 the problem is now 072-074 has too many hunters it’s hard to complete with the guides in the area. 072 black powder with a guide would give you a chance at 350ish bulls in the rut. It will be some better odds and definitely better hunting than rifle hunts later in the year.
Hard to compete with guides?

Get up earlier, walk a bit further, be in position. If you see guides in the area, you know there are good animals. I don't care if a guide has watched an animal all year. It's not theirs just because they've tracked it for the year.

Ok bud it’s hard to complete with fresh horses if you haven’t hunted in there in last 3 seasons go check it out. I had the tag in 2013 when they gave out 125 early and 125 late. Had the late tag killed my bull the third day 2.5 miles in the wilderness. Was at the trailhead at 4:30am every morning. Don’t know if an hour and half before light is early enough. Go check it out with 225 early and 225 late it’s a zoo not worth competing with in my opinion.

As far as Utah goes it is my understanding you can turn tag back in up to 30 days before the season starts. You will get your points back but will NOT gain a point for that year.

I am pretty sure that’s the way the tag return policy has always been in Utah. Not sure where some of those guys are getting the new role change from.
Guess we need to get the topic going on the Utah forum

F51D3624-65EB-470E-99F4-4A84CE454A74.png

I used to put in for 072 but the last few years there have just been too many people in there...guides and non guides. The way they have broken the seasons all up combined with the number of tags they give out makes it really tough. Last time I was in there two year’s ago I was over 6 miles in the wilderness and there were people on horses everywhere. I would avoid that unit if I were you. I think 61/71 has gone downhill in the last few years also. The elk numbers seem to have dropped. There are big bulls in both units but I just like to avoid the crowds.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom