1st bear bait

WC

Well after a weekend of ALOT of work I got my first two bear baits set up. They include popcorn, dog food, maple syrup, oats, bird seed, dried fruit, bear crack, and a months worth of table scraps. We set the baits and the next day returned to see that absolutely nothing had happened. I must admit I was a bit disappointed. So today we checked it again and nothing has touched it except a few birds and some chipmunks that think they hit the mother load. I am having mixed thoughts about my stink bait. I put raw hamburger and some eggs in a quart jar with a little water and allowed it to sit in the heat of my garage for days. Well when I poured it all over the trees in the surrounding area it almost made me puke. But the next day when I returned the mixture was pretty much dried up and not as smelly as I hoped. I dont have access to carp or beavers. Any suggestions for a cheap stink bait.( I think my wife will kill me if I spend any more money) How long does it usually take before you guys see action on a new site?

I am by no means an expert but when I set baits I wait at least 7-10 days before going back in to check on it. This gives bears time to find it and establish a routine and comfort level coming into the bait without being pushed off. Since I don't like smelling stink bait I use old cooking grease from the local restaurants. I take an old pot and a small butane burner and heat it up next to the bait site and then spread it onto the trees next to the bait. Any wind will pick up that scent and carry it a long way. Nothing like the smell of french fries to get them coming.

I set two baits in Utah and had one hit less than 24 hours. The second bait had no action for over a week. I think you need to look into finding some carp for stink bait. If all I used were donuts for bait I would be doing fine. Thats been all the bears preference. I don't think the bear crack has had much if any effect on my bait site. Use some anise oil or any other strong sent to help them find your bait.
robspics287.jpg

Elkoholic.gif

robspics2922.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom