2 part question

A

AZbowhntr

I have a couple questions to ask. The first is, I am getting ready to reload for the first time. I have everything that I need to actually do the reloading but I am curious what everyone does to clean the used brass? I don't think I am ever going to reload enough to go out and buy a tumbler to clean it.

And the 2nd question is, I have a Browning Automatic shotgun that my grandfather bought when he was young. It is pre WWII so I can't date it exactly because all the records were lost during the war. But the forend stock has a hairline crack in it. I was wondering if anyone knows of a place in the valley that I can take it to have it repaired. Without ruining the value of the gun. Not that I would ever sell it but none the less. Thanks for any replies.

if you've spent all you need on reloading equipment, i'd go ahead and get a tumbler. it's about the only way i know of cleaning brass well. my dad used to take the real old dark brass that you find occasionally while you're hunting and put them in his pants pocket for a couple weeks. that's the only other way i know of.

before you spend a bunch of money on a new stock, go to a gunshow and look around for one. the big ones at the state fairgrounds should have something there that would work. shouldn't be too expensive either. if it's a hairline crack and the gun still shoots, i wouldn't worry too much about it.

FWIW cleaning brass is mostly cosmetic. I've shot extremely dark and well used brass to win at the nationals. I just don't like taking the time to tumble the average 8000 rounds I'd shoot in a year.

There is a liquid cleaner, it works pretty good. Not sure of the name or source though.

Use nothing containing ammonia though. Its extremely detrimental to brass.

Jeff

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-04 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]take the brass and put it in a pillow case with a bunch of old socks or rags then tie the pillow case in a knot and throw in the dryer with a few loads to dry remove from the pillow case and you have clean brass not as clean as a tumbler but close this is the method i use.

good luck
Geoff

A decent cheep way to clean brass is good old vinegar. It brightens up old brass fairly well and removes quite a bit of powder residue.
Be shure to de-prime your brass first.
Stir and soak your brass at least a few hours.
Flush out the brass with water extra well.
Dry brass with a blow dryer or shuch.
You can reuse the vinegar also.

I would try and find a tumbler though.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was trying to remember what my kids used to clean penny's. It was vinegar. If I start shooting a lot more I will try to find a used tumbler but in the mean time I will try your ideas.

AZbowhntr;

The crack in the stock forend is a common problem with that model of shotgun. It can repaired very easy with acra glass gel by a gunsmith. the trick is to color the gel to the proper walnut color to match your forend and glue the crack with the gel. By cleaning the overflow prior to it setting, you can have a repair that can not be seen as long as none of the wood is chipped out or missing.

RELH

if you clean brass with viganer, won't it smell sorta like sour kraut ever time ya shoot it?

I usually use vinager too... I think Midway sells a tumberler for about $50 or so. Check around you can usually find a used one for about $40 if you look.

I use to uses FLIZ brass polish to clean my brass when I was not reloading much. It only costs about 7.00 a bottel, you can clean a heck of a lot of brass with it. It will not take you long of cleaning your brass one at a time before you decide that a tumbler is well worth the investment.

400bull

I like to use walnut hulls.

But must confess, I don't tumble my brass much any more. I do think that it's a good practice though.

is it a browning a-5 if so cabelas has new stocks for that just got one my self.

RE: The Browning Shotgun question...
I would recomend that you post a question on www.trapshooters.com . It is a great place to find info on old brownings.

RE: using old brass...
I would only reload brass that has been shot in your gun. There are many reasons for this. One question I have is, what kind of action do you have?
If you are reloading for a semi-auto or a lever action, you should look into puschasing small base dies. Full length sizing every shell becomes mandatory with semi-autos and lever actions.
If you are loading for a bolt action, you can use standard dies and/or neck size only your brass.

When you work up a load, stick to one brand of brass - DO NOT mix brands of brass on max loads.

One of my tricks for keeping track of different bullet weight loads is to switch brands of brass for each respective load.

Have fun, Don
Everett, WA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom