20+ years ?

Packout

Very Active Member
So I was out aimless wandering when I found this one. It was on the North side of the tree, under the limb, and deep in the dirt. You can see the rocks on top of the limb. I'd wager it has been there an easy 20 years, and I think I'll go back in another 10 and see if it is still there. Thought it was a neat ATL photo.

CDay013.jpg

CDay015a.jpg

Circuscurtains047.jpg

Not bad for 4 hours and 10 minutes of hiking. My son is holding his first brownie, a wacky spike. I wonder how may he walked past??

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

I allways leave those old "earth bones" too. It is facinating to come bace years later to see how they have changed.
Your boy probably did not miss any--- he was obviously looking very carefully to find that little one!

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

Thats a great haul!!! That shed in the tree is cool too. I hope that thing is still there in 10 years. Thanks for the pics!

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

RE: 20 years ?

Here is one I found recently, been there a few years. Its amazing and always makes we wonder how long those bones can really last. Headbones.

DSCF0634.jpg

ALMOST SOIL!
DSCF0642.jpg

You'd probably be very surprised how old some of the antlers are.Here in the dry climate of Wyoming I know that I've found some that are 100 years old. The lichen covered ones especially(I think it takes lichen at least 50 years to grow) I remember a post a couple years back of somebody finding an Elk shed back East(prairie state) and it was documented that no Elk had been around for over 150 years?

Anyone ever been in the Current Creek Cafe up past Strawberry and seen that ram skull stuck in the tree that they have dated clear back in the 1800's?

headbones-
That swamp donkey paddle is WAY old!!

Great pix guys!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Those are some ancient sheds headbones. I agree with you guys on how long they can last. Put a shed in a dry area on the north side of a tree or rock and I think 50 years is very doable.

Longun- I found a large 4 point shed in Wyoming a few years back which had fallen vertically into a sage. The shed was covered, both sides, from burr to tips with lichen. Even though it was in very good condition we thought that antler had laid there since the turn of the century to grow that much lichen.

www.sagebasin.com

Cool pic!

Hey Slam - that Cafe ain't there anymore! Been gone for a few years!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Dang Roy....where have i been???
(apparently not at Current Creek Cafe having pancakes!!)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-27-08 AT 05:15PM (MST)[p]Seen this one posted on another site.

Yelum
483c95c025b4bc97.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-28-08 AT 07:21PM (MST)[p]I'd rather he not get those mature experienced sheds, which hide and lay low. With the bright red I can see him from a half-mile and he can still pick-up the uneducated yearlings. We'll get him camoed up next year, I'd hate to ruin him on mature sheds the first year. Who am I kidding? I don't even wear camo while shooting state record animals with my bow; he just wants to be like his old man.

Larry, that one has been there awhile, probably longer than our ages combined.

www.sagebasin.com

antlersswarovskis013.jpg

Here is one I found last year with lichen on it. You can't see the lichen, but you can see where it was and the type of climate. I just guessed it was there for 10 years, but 50 does sound better!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom