200" CA Mule deer??

B

BomberBlackies

What hunting unit, in your opinion, would you have a decent chance at a 200" gross scoring mule deer? When are where was the last 200" deer shot in CA?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-09 AT 08:47AM (MST)[p]There may be a few out there. I drew x5b this season which over the years been a prime mule deer area in California. After hunting x5b this year and seeing some good bucks, I doubt if there are 200+ there. It took 6 points to draw. So now if I try another area that takes more points it may be 10+ or more years. So any one hunter's chances to harvest a 200+ deer in about the same odds as winning the lottery.

A decent chance at a 200" gross mule deer? Honestly, there are none. A 200" deer in CA is a very rare thing. One pops up once in a while, but not very often. Better start looking out of state, if your goal is 200".

Don P.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-09 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]200+" Nooo Problem!! i shot a dozen of them. At least, ah, that's what they looked like before i shot them. When i walked up to them they were a tad smaller ;-)

I'm a optimist. i think there's half a dozen 200" bucks that will get a year older and a year wiser. They're living scattered out in the X-zones between Alturas and a bit south of Tahoe. 5b is as good as any to hold one or two but i spent a year working out Loyalton way and saw some dandy bucks between there and Boca.

Rick, do you have a governors tag holder hunting with you?

Joey

There have been like 3.......since gold was discovered in this state. Probably had a few in the 40's and 50's, but not lately.

California has a lot of great things, but high scoring, antlered, big game ain't one of them.

Mountain lions have been killing them, unobstructed, for 40 years. Any 200" deer in this state will be old, crippled, slow and easy for a cat to take down.

Hell, our state flag has a Grizzly Bear on it and I doubt there is anyone alive that has ever seen one in the wild..... in this state....or any state it borders, for that matter.

How everybody forgets so quick just two seasons ago some guy got a buck that grossed just over 200 and it was a big 4x4 with very little junk,it was taken in x-1 or x-2.I do remember seeing pics on this site about it and also a magazine.

>There have been like 3.......since gold
>was discovered in this state.
>Probably had a few in
>the 40's and 50's, but
>not lately.

Yes they are few and you may die trying, but every once in a while one pops up.

Remember this one?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/ca.jpg[/IMG]

And from last year.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/cabt.jpg[/IMG]

Howabout those 300" Muleys?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/q3-1.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/q1.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/q2.jpg[/IMG]

Santa Rosa Island puts 200" muleys out just about yearly, but that is a different story.

{Quote:]
>Hell, our state flag has a
>Grizzly Bear on it and
>I doubt there is anyone
>alive that has ever seen
>one in the wild..... in
>this state....or any state it
>borders, for that matter.

Not alive, but here is a genuine California Grizzly skull that my late brother in law unearthed while excavating the foundation of my house.
One of the largest Ca. Grizzlies on record.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/gr5.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/gr1.jpg[/IMG]

I didn't mean to say that there weren't any at all, but the question was "a decent chance".

When you add up all the hours spent in the field, all the deer tags bought, all the deer taken and all the bucks entered into contests, a 200" buck is rare.......I've seen more true albino deer in the wild, than 200" bucks in print, over the past 10 years.

Albino deer show up about 1 in 400,000.

Even if you add in all the reported sightings,,,,,the ones that don't come under the "once upon a time" heading, there are few even in the parks.

We have looked at about 10 trophy bucks down out of the mountains, after the migration this winter, in excess of 30", but making them 200" is going to be a stretch.

For the most part, those deer will never see a hunter. They live well back into the parks and unless we get real early snow and extreme cold temps in the back country, they never come out into a huntable area.

A Golden Opportunity hunter is their only problem, as far as humans go.

I am going to buy a real good video camera this year with maximum telephoto capability, so I can get some pictures worth posting. Any advice on that camera venue would be appreciated.

By the way.....that bear skull find is absolutely way outstanding!

HH,

I remember your post about that skull a while back...I forgot did you ever measure that thing? What an awesome find...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Two seasons ago, a buddy drew one of the X zones and killed a 5x3 buck that grossed 200 1/4". It was 32 1/2" wide and very heavy, looked like a Utah or Arizona buck. They are very few and far between, but there are some out there.

Few and far between.....although we had one show up at the CBH banquet last night....new archery state record NT......it will be short lived though, as we just completed two additional committee measurements on bucks that net well over 200" NT. So there are a few around.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Bohntr did the buck that just made the new archery NT come from d-6 if it was I saw pics of it at the sportsmens warehouse in rocklin.The guy also had a pic of a typical that said it was #2 in the state taken in d-6 also by the same hunter.

I saw those two bucks (same hunter) but photos only.....the buck that came last night was a beautiful mounted buck in full velvet.

BOHNTR )))---------->

PEEZ is right... better start looking out of state. Although your best chances would probably be up North along the CA/NV border.

For Cali, I would tell someone to just stick to a characteristic that they like. Whether that is width, mass, extras, or whatever. Our bucks just don't have the frames to get them to the 200" mark.

Nickman is correct by pointing out that the lion problem doesn't help the matter. However, if auction and late season tags didn't exist, there may still be a few around.

When you throw guys into the mix that are willing to pay anything to kill the biggest buck, and they have the opportunity to hunt during the rut with numerous guides combing the country, what do you expect?

I heard stories of a 220 inch nontypical coming from d-3 this year A friend of mine said he saw pics of it I will do a little searching around for it.But here is a pic of a buck that could have been close if he just would of had decent eye guards and a little more tine length.
4974757b66cfc507.jpg

D-3 and they said that its not a back yard buck,which we have a lot of in this unit.

There was a monster taken out of cali this year but it has been kept real low so far. You will see it in a magizine smomewhere this year. I dont have a pic so dont ask but it will be the best buck since the burney buck i dont know how many years ago. It has been scored by 2 offical B&C scorers. It came out of a d zone, i think it was like 34 wide and was a 12x13 or something close to that. A young man shot it and it came off private ground but right next to public. It grosses in the mid 270s. I talked with the guy who scored it and he said he about fell over when he saw the head. It was shot in 08. The family that has it called muley crazy to have it put in there magize and Hatch told them to go have it officaly scored because he did not belive it himself when they told him where it was from. The guy who scored it saw pics from the feild and every thing to back up there story. I cant wait to see the pics of the beast. I think it will blow guys minds when they see it.

That's great!
I love seeing California produce quality trophies, whether it be fish or game.
Cali is bashed about so hard by everyone and most don't know how good some aspects of this state are.
Can't wait to see it.
Just got my Muley Crazy magazine yesterday and it wasn't in there, so we'll have to wait.
HH

When i moved to Lassen county 20 years ago, a couple of different old timers told me that in the 50s and early 60s, 40 inch bucks were more common than 30"ers are now. And it's gone way down hill in the last 20 years too.

Not to saw every 40" buck scores 200 gross but who wouldn't put a 40" buck on their wall??

these days with mountain lions, encroachment on wintering grounds and better hunting equipment (optics, rifles, etc) it's a miracle a buck lives to grow 4 points on each side.

Great Bucks that have been posted. I love to see some of the bigger bucks that come from Calif. because it fuels the passion that I still have a chance even though I stay in state and can't make it out of state.

Kurt-www.shootitimages.com

About 1950 my dad & great uncle were driving around the base of Shaffer Mt. towards Ball's Canyon. They came onto a jeep that had a buck on each fender. The antlers of these 2 bucks over lapped in the middle of the radiator. The one he remembers the best was about a 36" forked horn. There was a refuge out by Observation Mt. back then. They opened it up one year and some real big bucks were taken out there. I remember that big non-typical taken out towards Burney around the mid-1980's.That was a huge buck.I will try to post up a picture of a buck my great uncle took in 53. Not a big rack but a big hooved & bodied buck. I think it was taken off the Paul Bunyan Road. They also took some good ones off Bald Mt back then.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/497e77944f02bdf9

Murphy, I heard about the first year Observation was opened too. Wonder how that burn is now???

And the area behind Pete's valley gave up a 31"er in about "91" Friend of mine's dad took it. My friend said they jumped 6 bucks in a lil draw on the flat. 2 were over 30", 4 of them were quality. Figured they got pushed off of Shaffer. Another friend thats been deer huntin for 30+ years in almost every Western state saw his biggest buck ever there while chukar huntin in Nov sometime in the early 90's.

>Murphy, I heard about the first
>year Observation was opened too.
> Wonder how that burn
>is now???
>
>And the area behind Pete's valley
>gave up a 31"er in
>about "91" Friend of
>mine's dad took it.
>My friend said they jumped
>6 bucks in a lil
>draw on the flat.
>2 were over 30", 4
>of them were quality.
>Figured they got pushed off
>of Shaffer. Another friend
>thats been deer huntin for
>30+ years in almost every
>Western state saw his biggest
>buck ever there while chukar
>huntin in Nov sometime in
>the early 90's.

CA Elk Slayer and Murphy.....Are you both referring to the Schaffer Mountain south of Canby? I own some property in that area but haven't owned it long so I'm still learning about the general area. I'm not familiar with Pete's Valley or Balls Canyon, where are these places in relation to the peak? Any other stories/photos from Schaffer?

Let's keep this going!

I believe there's still more big deer taken in Cali than some give credit for. Every year i hear of and see smokers that are taken by publicity shy hunters only to be put on the wall and never surface again. I pulled these off a website, know nothing other than what was stated.

Here is a buck taken in placer Co. huge mass, 212
4991d239062a29d4.jpg

Here is another toad Kali buck, not sure of the score but who could not want this buck. 2004 D-6
4991d2bb09fbea40.jpg

Joey

GASP...............

Holy smokes those are pigs. That top one is a true beast!!

Thanks for posting.

Matt
"Opportunity is missed by most people
because its dressed in overalls
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom