2003 AK Blacktail Hunt!!

A

AAAhunter

Had a great trip to Afognak Island, Alaska. Flew out of Kodiak with SeaHawk Air. Great, cold, sucessful hunt!! Cant wait to go back sometime! :)

9113.jpg

9169.jpg

9170.jpg

9168.jpg

That first buck is a toad. Great pics. Someday I'd like to make it up there for Sitkas. What time of year did you go and how did you stay (tent/boat/cabin)??

Thanks for posting

3rd week of November. Stayed in Pillar Lake Public use cabin, like $35 a night. Basic cabin with wood stove. Fly in to freshwater lake. Ocean nearby:)

Austin,

Congrats to you on a great hunt and posting the pictures of you and I'm guessing your dad.
How many Deer were you allowed to take on the hunt? Back about 10 years ago, my step-brother said the limit on Strawberry Island was like 6 per year, but have no idea what it is now, just curious.

Brian

Our limit for non residents was 3 bucks. We had two deer tags each, however we saw only 5 deer total!! they mostly were in the trees. These were the only two bucks, so it was the best we could do. right place, right time....

Good job! That first buck is really nice! Those little sitka bastards sure are neat. I shot a few off of Prince of Wales Island. Being use to big blacktails, the first time I saw one I thought it was a dog. They sure are a hell of a lot of fun to hunt. We hunted for them by boat. We glassed the hills while we were fishing. There is nothing better than coming back to camp with a couple of bucks, salmon and halibut. Except, when you are all done cleaning and taking care of the bastards.
Eric
075313.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

Awesome pics!!! Ilove Ak, I've been up there fishing a few times but haven't hunted there....yet. How long were the shots? looks like great shot placement on that first buck. Congrats on a neat hunt.

I am hopeing to get up there next season and do some sitka bow hunting. congrats

My shot on the first buck (the big one) was ~210 yards. One shot .30-06. Dead before he hit the ground :) My dads was one shot .300 Ultra Mag (exit hole amazing) running through the trees @ 30 yards. :)

Congrats on your success! Way to go! Those are some great pics. I've been seriously thinking about making a trip to the Queen Charlottes and hunting those little guys. The bag limit is 15.

Those are some of the best pic's I have seen, very well set up and photographed, great bucks too.

Did you see a lot? From the stories I read they respond to calls well and see a hundred in a day is not uncommon if up high and glassing.

Great pics and sounds like you had a great trip. I went up to Kodiak a couple years ago and really had a great time. We didnt get into any monster bucks like that one you shot but had a great time. p.s. cb send me an email at [email protected] if you want me to tell you about the boat I stayed on and the trip.......... Allen Taylor......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom