2004 CARIBOU HUNT

L

lionhound

just scheduled a 2004 caribou hunt on august 1 with four w air outfitters. do it yourself hunt. has anybody else done this. thanks to everyone who helped me find this service.

A buddy and I did a self-guided Alaska drop hunt for caribou in 2001 and had a great time. Planning the trip was a lot of the fun, too. You have a lot of things to consider, since you can't bring everything with you, and you will likely have weight restrictions to deal with on your flight in. We hunted in the second half of September, so we were hunting hard-horned animals, while yours will be in velvet. We hunted in a 2-caribou area, and if you are, be sure to buy a 2nd tag. It makes it a lot more fun to still have a tag in your pocket when you have your first bull on the ground. Hopefully you'll see hundreds of caribou every day like we did. It can still be hard to find quality bulls, though.

I have heard that the Mulchatna herd in Alaska is now a one bull area due to low numbers and less than average trophy quality.
That is a shame as I had a great unguided hunt there in '98
WARNING!!!!!!It is hard to hunt Alaska only once!

We did a drop-off hunt with 4w-Air in 92.He is a good pilot and his wife packs a great grub box.The flight through Lake Clark pass is awesome!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom