2006 CA Blacktail Hybrid (non-typical)

BOHNTR

Long Time Member
I took my 12 year old son up to local mountains this morning, hoping to get him close enough (25 yards) to a deer with his bow. Since he has an either sex tag, he was willing to cast an arrow at any legal deer, including a doe.

After hiking most of the morning, we walked right up on two does, that ran down a canyon. Knowing the trail I was on wound down the canyon towards where they ran, I took him down the trail to see if we could intercept them. As I got near the funnel they usually travel, I peeked over the edge of the small canyon and immediately spotted a NICE buck looking up at me from the bottom. I got Cody into position and ranged the buck. When I told him it was 50 yards, he whispered, "Too far for me Dad, you take the shot." I was pretty darn proud of him for making that choice....obviously he didn't see the rack on this thing. :)

After sticking the buck well, I was trying to keep an eye on him as he tore through the trees. I lost sight of him for a bit when Cody yelled, "He's down Dad!" After waiting about 20 minutes, Cody tracked the buck and found him piled up in the bottom of the canyon. When I approached the buck, I was completely astonished. I knew he was a huge blacktail Hybrid, but not a true non-typical to boot!

After boning the buck out and caping him, I shouldered the HEAVY pack for a TOUGH hike straight up. Man is dry and dusty out there.......and HOT.

This is the best Hybrid from CA I've arrowed with almost 30 years of chasing them with stick-n-string. I ran a tape on him and he'll score about 136 1/8" (non-typical) NET. He'll gross 143". He's an 8x5 (counting eye-guards) with great mass. If the score holds up, he'll be #4 in the state. For those who hunt these deer, you know what kind of buck this is. I'm on cloud nine and so is my son. We're going back tomorrow for him......I told him the rest of the season is his, as I'm now his guide! :) Hope you enjoy the photos

Hybrid_Non-typical_005.jpg

Hybrid_Non-typical_012.jpg

Back View:

Hybrid_Non-typical_021.jpg

Side View:

Hybrid_Non-typical_025.jpg

Packing him out:

Hybrid_Non-typical_028.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-06 AT 08:49PM (MST)[p]Smokin buck Roy!!!!Your one of So.Cal's best!!!!

That is a dandy buck Roy.Hope the score holds up. What a great job your doing with the young one also. I am sure he is the best hunting partner you have. Keep up the good work and good luck to your boy in the morning. He is already showing that your wisdom is rubbing off on him by passing the shot to you. Very good.

man thats great... your buck looks like an buddys from a rifle hunt within a 50 mi rad of Grass Valley!
rm

Roy,

AWESOME BUCK! Congrats on a great buck and for sharing such a great hunt with your boy! Way to get er done!

TUFF

Looks like we were both doing the same thing this season!
I was fortunate to take a real good blacktail with my bow and very fortunate indeed to watch my 13 year old son take his first buck ever with a bow.
You are doing it right my friend.
Some kinda feelin to have your son at your side and especially when everything falls into place,
Bowhunting rules!
HH

Roy,

congratulations on the buck. I'm sure the enjoyment of the hunt had as much to do with your son's presence. On a light note, it's a good thing the buck wasn't at 25 yards or your son would spend the rest of his days hunting for bucks that would most likely be smaller than his first.

Dan

That a great buck and great story too, I hope your son scores on one this season. Good luck to him.

Dont sell yourself short!
We tend to "make our own luck"...

You had to put yourself in the position for this event to happen.
It's not you were driving down the highway when you spotted him, right?

WAY TO GO!!! OUTSTANDING BUCK!!!

And to experience it's harvvest with your son...PRICELESS!

Wonderful hunt BOHNTR. You have my respect and admiration. Congratulations on a tremendous buck!

Steve

Beautiful buck I really like the extra points, bet your boy will never forget that hunt, congrats

Congrats roy on a wonderful trophy, good luck with your son the rest of the season

Thats awesome Roy! Congratulations on the hunt! I can guarantee that the memories made on this hunt will have an impact on your son for the rest of his life!

Drum

WOW, Congrats BOHTNR! You got it all with this one, a gnarly ole nontypical, your son right there by your side, and one for the record books! It doesn't get much better, very nice.

RockyMtnOyster

Nice buck! Congratulations Bohntr! Nice pics and a good story. What a fortunate young man to be learning from you. Enjoy!!

Congrats Roy. It amazes me how you do this year in and year out with stick and string. I think skill and hard work might have as much to do with it as luck :).

I've been pretty fortunate to have met some real good people, chat and visit some. Roy your amazing!For literally years now myself and friends have looked over numerous pictures and read some great stories of yours, from internet to magazines.To be able to look at this just like in a recent EBJ and so many others and tell friends and family that I talk to you online is kinda of a hero type deal.In our hunting world where we eat sleep and totally live it , its guys that are always willing to help and share , like you have always done so and never in a negative manner. ROY you are truely one of a kind, my dad says it seems like the mold was broken when it comes to real good people , like yourself and then you strike again.Congrats on another great trophy, and more than that , thanks for always coming here and sharing with us...Larry

Larry:

Wow, what a nice thing to say. Thank you. As most of you know, I've been on this board since 1999 and have met some VERY good sportsmen throughout my tenure here. It's always been a pleasure to share stories and success photos along with the many unsuccessful adventures. We've got a good bunch of folks here in the archery section of MM land. Thanks again for the kind words folks and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

BOHNTR )))--------->

Roy,
There ain't nothing lucky about your success. Skills! Way to pass on the thrill to your boy. He'll remember that day forever. Fine job. As a frustrated So Cal bowhunter, I'm incredibly jealous. Awesome buck! I sure hope you can make room for him on your wall.

No doubt Roy....some of us work all year just so we can pay the bills....you obviously work all year just so you can pay your taxidermist! :) Another exceptional trophy for sure. What a beautiful hybrid, and to have your son with you...wow. Thanks for sharing some of the pictures and story, I'm always wondering what you'll put up next. Congratulations to ya.

Roy-I've read several times that your from So. Cal. Where about in So. Cal? The reason I'm asking is because I'm in So Cal and I know that buck didnt come from anywhere South of Paso Robles. Are you North of Paso? By the way- that buck is a dandy!

"I'm in So Cal and I know that buck didnt come from anywhere South of Paso Robles. Are you North of Paso."

Wiszard:

I'm from Southern California.....and so is the buck. :)

BOHNTR )))----------->

My gosh that is the most awesome Hybrid! What mountain range in Southern California? In any case a BIG Congrats, I hope you can find some more wall space!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom