2007 NV Buck

BattleBorn

Well, I finally got a moment to post these pics and write up a little story of my Nevada harvest this year. I glassed this guy bedded down in the early afternoon under the trees on the edge of a little bowl. A good look thru the spotting scope, as he was a good 1200 yards plus away, convinced me he was a bit nicer than a few good bucks I had already passed on.

With the wind blowing in my face I put the sneak on him, making my way to a rocky point about 400 yards from him. After glassing him some more and putting the spotting scope on him again, I attempted to position myself on the rocks for a solid fatal shot with my faithful 270. Unfortunately, my attempts resulted in comical failure as the formation of rocks I perched myself on gave me no comfortable and solid position to take an ethical shot from. At that yardage, if I wasn?t comfortable I wasn?t going to take the shot.

I put the pack back on and headed across a ravine that would take me up to the opposite side of the bowl from where he was bedded. Busted!!!! At the bottom of the ravine a small group of alerted doe?s made their way out of the cedars in front of me, and where else would they go but up into the bowl. I found exactly what I expected when I got to the edge of the bowl, a small patch of earth in the light snow cover where he had been bedded. Glassing the trees along the edge of the bowl for a good half hour produced no sign of life nor did it make me feel any better about my error in allowing his sentries to get between me and him.

I made my way to where he had been spending a leisure afternoon under the trees and determined he had made his way back into the trees. I worked my way one silent step at time thru the trees until I began to see an old burned out ravine on the other side. Spotting a couple of doe, I made my way out of sight around the opposite side of where I had spotted them. Cresting over slowly, the deer began to come into view one by one. Amongst the does was a small four point and the buck I was pursuing, having an evening graze on the grasses beneath their hooves.

Now 300 yards from him I was able to set up for a solid shot, utilizing a burned out tree for support. One squeeze, one bang, one jump, one lifeless buck, all equaled one happy hunter.

Enjoy the pics.

4745ecc4137cd8d4.jpg

4745ecee1439b272.jpg

4745ed1114cd12a1.jpg

4745ed31154007b2.jpg

Thanks for the words fella's! I'm real happy with him and he's going to look real nice on the wall.

Timber - All the pics are of the same buck

>Congrats on a great buck! Which
>unit were you hunting?

Area 7 / Unit 072 - It's the only area myself, my dad, and our partners have been putting in for and hunting the past 20 plus years. Good deer country which means hard hunting. Just the way I like it!

Wow, Great bucks! I had that tag this year, saw 70+ bucks but only 2 of that caliber. Could'nt seal the deal. Hope to draw again someday. Thanks for sharing.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom