2009 elk trip

hntnfsh67

Was starting to research where to use my 5 elk points for next year. Not enough points to get anywhere near a top unit but still want to get out there and hunt. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to start my search? I am not looking at a specific species i.e. rocky mnt vs. Roosie but rather a unit that has a decent 30%+ success rate, not huge numbers of other hunters and can be had for 5pnts.

Not afraid to get off the road and hit the hills. If needed can afford a packer to get me in farther and the meat out quicker.
thanks for any and all suggestions. Please PM me if you would rather not post your reply.

Thanks again and good luck to those still in the field.

Matt
"Opportunity is missed by most people
because its dressed in overalls
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-08 AT 06:42PM (MST)[p]buy an Oregon tag guide. It has all the info in table form at your fingertips.

whoops, a NR???

30% and 5 points might be hard to find.

I figured it was a long shot. But you never know until you ask. I have downloaded all the stats from the ODW site and have been looking hard at the data but was hoping for some direction. I prefer to hunt elk with a bow but rifle hunts are an option too.
thanks for the feedback.

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Thanks elk,

Have you ever hunted that unit?

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

The Ochoco unit is my back yard, it's the best limited entry bow unit you're going to draw with those points. while bigger bulls can be taken you're hunting bull up to 300 for the most part. plenty of public land but in bow season for whatever reason the road closures aren't in effect, so access is pretty good other than a few small roadless areas and a couple wilderness areas which seem to attract more hunters than the easy accesss areas.

I's say it's a good hunt by Oregon standards , there are better tags but as a NR you're years away with 5 points.

IMO I wouldn't use 5 pts. to get the archery tag. I would apply for the 1st season rifle hunt. The archery Ochoco tag only takes 1 or 2 pts. to draw. Also only 3-4 more pts. and you could have a few premium hunts in your back pocket. Look up the draw odds on the main page and weigh your options.

Scrillz

Back
Top Bottom