2009 Quotas?

Well once again my first choice area got the shaft on the NR side dropped our quota but raised the resident rifle quota.

I guess I just have to wait for the person that hates NR muzzle loaders to change positions so we can get our tags back. Oh wait they will give us Archery tags to make up the numbers wouldn't want a NR to actually kill anything.

Yea I am pissed again but I will still apply. Just don't like getting screwed when it used to be pretty fair.

Off soap box.

Good luck to everyone.

DMC, which area did you apply for where this happened? Tags are allocated among various weapons groups and resident vs nonresident by a formula and it would seem odd that a NR muzz allocation would go down while the resident goes up. Maybe there is a reason that can be explained to make you less pissed. Really, I am not trying to add to your pain or start an argument or defend the system but maybe someone on here can help.

Ok It won't be hard to figure out but since things have changed since 06 and NR are getting 3.3% I will post some info I will keep it simple and just post Muzzle tags Res/NR.

2000 131 15
2001 145 16
2002 25 3
2003 41 5
2004 68 8
2005 69 9
2006* 118 4
2007 148 5
2008 118 4
2009 118 4

Now if ya think I am just complaining look at other areas over the same time frame. You will see it is pretty obvious.

Rant off Smilie.

Well, I have been studying and obviously things have changed in how the projected harvest and tags are allocated among the various groups since I was more closely involved. Perhaps someone like Alex or Bearman, if they see this, can shed some light. There was a time when nonresident quotas were a straight percentage and only hunt 1235 tags affected nonresident percentages. But there sis now a more complex formula used that is outlined here in policy P24, page 20-22. Maybe I'm just dumb today but I honestly can't explain it.

Thanks for the info. Taking a quick look and giving the abridged verion I would think tag numbers would stay pretty consistant from a percentage basis do to demand staying pretty much constant to increasing and harvest rates staying pretty consistant across weapons. Deer population is obviously the biggest factor. Thus why the dramatic change in
percentage in 06.

Again thanks for the info and being that it is consistant I will have to make changes in my draw choices. I just saw something that looks fishy.

My only guess on that is that the policy P24 is dated May 13, 2006. Maybe before that it was a straight percentage.

There was also 48 "guide welfare" tags issued for the area I think you are referring too. Although I believe all these tags are any weapon, they may be affecting the muzzy quota as well.

Another great example of how the Guide Welfare tags take away from the average guy.

I still think some games are being played with this units muzzy hunt since it takes the brunt on any tag changes from the recomends but as I stated I don't expect it to change for some time.

Again thanks for the info and Good luck in your draws.

I'm a little late looking at this thread, sorry.

NVBighorn; the 06' Policy 24 is what happened after Taulman's suit. It needs some tweaking in some parts.

DMCHunter; IF I'm looking at the right area you are talking about. This year muzzleloader Resident/NonResident is 121/6 and last year was 118/4; the ALW was split with a total of 947/59 and 976/61. I will give you that on this unit the NR percentage is not the same as the total NR quota. Without digging furter to find out what the Restricted Guided Hunt Unit Quota is I can only speculate that is why. It is worth looking at harder.

I know on sheep they try hard to keep the percentage per unit versus the total allocation because of the limited number of tags for Resident/NonResident.

Good luck on the draw only a few more days to wait,

Alex

LAST EDITED ON May-22-09 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]I like to complain but I need to eat a little crow here or my man card will be pulled.

I jumped the gun and read this yrs numbers as what was proposed and then screwed up and thought that last yrs were this yrs numbers. My bad.

This yrs numbers are better than last yrs and the percentage is low but better.

Again thanks for the info and good luck in the draws.

I hate crows they suck as a bird and they suck when ya gotta eat them.

Crow don't taste too bad with a little pepper, least that is how I eat mine.

I wasn't sure I was looking at the right area. I wish we had higher resident and non resident tags to give out but as you know you can't give what you don't have.

Keep us posted on what you draw.

Alex

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom