201 Declining?

Muleyears

I've talked to a couple guys saying they had a tough hunt in 201 this year. Is the unit declining, or are they just struggling because they didn't spend the time needed to find a decent bull?

I know wolves have moved in over the last few years, maybe that has changed some habits. Just curious....

Don't think 201 is in decline, elk were most likely somewhere else in the unit. Saw some stud bulls in there 2 years ago .

I don’t have years of looking at bulls In 201 to compare, but I did go on a guided hunt last year there. From private to public land we saw many bulls- of the bulls taken there was a 370s, a 360s, a 350s, and a couple in the 330-340 range. Most of the bulls we saw were in the 300-320 range. I saw the log book from the guides barn of all the bulls they have harvested over the last 15+ years, and that was the range of bulls harvested over that period as well- with a rare couple in the 380-390 range. For the guides, the goal was a 350 bull. Hope this helps.
Cheers- Dave

I would say all the NW units are down over the last 20 years. Simply put the CPW has cut the herd size in 1/2 maybe more and kept the same numbers of licenses for bulls. So if the overall elk herd is down but tags stay the same, then the quality will suffer.

It is interesting. I know of at least 2 bulls killed 40 plus miles north in WY that were a lot further south and in Colorado last year. What changed? Was it the wolves that shifted their pattern? Dry summer?

I would feel like there are still great bulls there, but if the wolves have been in the unit they have definitely taken a few elk...

I would say all the NW units are down over the last 20 years. Simply put the CPW has cut the herd size in 1/2 maybe more and kept the same numbers of licenses for bulls. So if the overall elk herd is down but tags stay the same, then the quality will suffer.

It is interesting. I know of at least 2 bulls killed 40 plus miles north in WY that were a lot further south and in Colorado last year. What changed? Was it the wolves that shifted their pattern? Dry summer?

I would feel like there are still great bulls there, but if the wolves have been in the unit they have definitely taken a few elk...
I’d say it’s the transient nature of elk in the high desert of SW WY/NW CO.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom