327 Mendocino antlerless 2
328 Mendocino bull 2
329 Bear Valley antlerless 1
330 Bear Valley bull 1
331 Lake Pillsbury antlerless 2
332 Lake Pillsbury bull 2
333 Alameda bull 1
334 Santa Clara bull 1

The table did not come through that well so hopefully you can figure it out. Should be on our web page soon as well

All thse extra hunts should spread out the max point holders.
Increasing your odds for a tag.
Pick the right hunt, there might be a sleeper or 2 out there.

I see a couple of new hunts.

Brian
xvvgp.jpg

"All thse extra hunts should spread out the max point holders."

+1, that's a good thing! Some will not be awarded just from the max points pool, like those with just 1 bull, but yes, it should help our odds!

joey

I have the dates for all those hunts and they should be posted on our web site soon. These were approved by the Commission yesterday, so it is a go. The more hunts the better your odds as far as I am concerned. It should spread people out. I changed several hunts from either-sex to bull and antlerless. I feel this should help as well. It goes from one hunt to two and there are people who do not care about antlers, it allows them better draw odds and in turn better draw odds for others in their hunts. Good luck to all!! Be aware some of the new hunts the elk are pretty much on private property and unless you know someone who owns property I would think twice before applying. But even with that if some people apply it will help the odds on other hunts.

Again, good luck

Joe

Wow. Thanks. That is good to know. California just may become a real elk hunting state. Afterall, we are the only state to boast three species of elk.

JR

Joe where can I find what was approved by the commission? The San Luis obispo bear hunt is what I was interested in?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-10 AT 06:35AM (MST)[p]be real! forget the points.......Elk and Antlope tags in Ca are pure luck! not much speading of the 4 or 6 thounds max pts folks! sigle tags goes into gen draws...and half of all others also! so its not like 300 plus max pts go away!

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Not sure where to view the DFG commission info, but the SLO bear hunt is postponed again this year. They said it was because they could not reply to all the anti-letters in a timely manner before the ruling.

Stop Global Whining

Andy- If you want a SLO bear so bad go shoot the sign at the base of the grade on the South bound side coming from Santa Margarita! I sh!t a brick the first time I saw that sign. Not sure if you've seen it but it's got a Momma bear followed by two cubs. I tripped out! I think it's been there a couple of years.

Steve

Yea Steve I have seen the sign.. its just plain stupid. They have bear warning signs for what? Cuz there are so many bears they now cross the grade? My buddies dad was working the night crew paving the grade. He said they would see bears all the time. Another friends grandma smashed the whole front of her Chevy last year near atascadero on the 101 hitting a bear. I don't understand the commission at all. Guess ill just have to shoot one in sb county.

It is my understanding that the Department pulled the bear changes. There were a few problems, one of which was the Department received something like 8,000 comments. I do not work on bears but the Commission asked that the Department refile in May to try again. Not sure if that is just going to be a portion of the regs or all the changes.

California will never by like other states with the number of elk tags, we just have to many people to achieve those type of numbers. Our elk are increasing and will continue to do so for awhile but again being CA as they expand conflict and damage happens. That is the not so fun part of the job.

Max point holders are dropping out faster than the number of tags. I was watching it over a couple years and it was something around 600 less people a year with max points. So some people are forgetting to apply, giving up, moving out of state, or dying. I did not check on the numbers last year but I suspect they would be similar. I believe even some of the single tags are drawn with max point holders, not because they have max points but because they were lucky (again, would have to double check that).

Good luck

Joe

Thanks for all the info joe. What is your website? Or could you post the dates of the Fort Hunter Liggett Muzzy hunt for me. Thanks

There is a group of elk just north of 20 and east of Potter Valley rd (mixed in that area and in Potter Valley). Plus there is another group up around Covelo. Pretty much on private property. Hope that helps.

Joe

What about the Lake Pillsbury hunt. I often times see them around the lake bed. Is this a huntable area, or are they going to be on private property/inaccesable areas too.

There is a good amount of public property at Lake Pillsbury and they elk use in on a regular basis.

Joe

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom