2010 Landowner Deer Vouchers

shelbys

Hello Colorado hunters.

I am looking for some advice on what I should expect to pay for landowner vouchers in the better deer units in Colorado.

More specifically, I am looking at 3rd season in the western units such as 10, 21, 30, 61, 201. (This is not an all inclusive list of what the good units are, just throwing a few out there)

I know nearly every unit in Colorado has big bucks on it, however, I am interested in knowing which are the units with good public access or units where landowners sell vouchers for private ranches.

After reading about all the problems many of you have had with brokers, I'd prefer to buy directly from a landowner if you can point me in the right direction.

Landowners apply in a draw and really don't know what they have until we do, especially in tough draw units like you listed. So, if you don't want to deal with a middleman broker, got to just start watching the adds and such around then. If you can still find some old ads, you could call and see if you can get some landowner to apply for you. Brokers usually have a good idea what they will get as they contact and deal with all landowners they can...but you will pay for te convenience.

From what I've seen over the last few years, and with the late 3rd season dates next year you probly should expect to shell out $6000+ in units 10,21 & 30. Unless of course you are able to deal directly with a landowner who gives you a bit of a "direct buy discount".
Not saying $6000 is worth it or not but that seems to be about the going rate.

Thanks guys, nice to know what the "going rate" is. Now I have a benchmark for reference when I look to buy a tag next year.

I'm not willing to pay $6,000 for a mule deer hunt, unless somebody had a 200 inch buck tied to a tree for me ;)

I may consider paying that for a hunt on the Henry Mountains one day, but the price down there is probably double $6,000. (Yes I realize the Henries are in Utah, I was just comparing for example).

I think you would be slightly higher than double on the Henries LO tag..... Considering the tag sold at the expo for like $70,000.

Those tags cost more than $6,000. I think I saw a tag pimp asking $8,000 for unit 10 3rd, $10,000 for unit 21 3rd, and about $6,000 for unit 30 3rd.

And they were still advertising less than a month before the season. I hope they ate some of em. Wonder what a $8,000.00 deer tag tastes like?????? Teryaki or A1 on that?????

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-09 AT 03:07PM (MST)[p]I know of one landowner that had a 3rd season 30 voucher and had it sold $5000, but the buyer backed out at the last minute. Best offer up to a week before the hunt was $2500 so he gave it to his boy as a birthday present instead of selling it.

>Those tags cost more than $6,000.
> I think I saw
>a tag pimp asking $8,000
>for unit 10 3rd, $10,000
>for unit 21 3rd, and
>about $6,000 for unit 30
>3rd.
Hillbilly there may have been some higher asking prices out there, but where you say "I think I saw", I know I saw a unit 21 3rd season tag for $6500. So anyone looking for a voucher should shop around as there are several different places (and prices) out there.

Moosey, I did notice tags pop up for much less as the seasons drew near. I am hoping this year causes a price correction in landowner tags.

Just got back from a 10 day trip in the Rangely area and things look pretty down (unit 10) compared to when I hunted it in '05 3rd season. Just my opinion but I wouldn't pay $1000 for that tag today. There are still some really big bucks but overall the hunt has changed dramatically.

hunter1975, Givin it to his son raises him in my book.

I don't think there will be a correction in their initial askin price. A neighbor got $5,000.00 2 years ago so they'll ask the same, or more. When they don't sell the price will come down.

In "07" a local told me that less than than 2 weeks before 3rd season a LO tag was advertised for $650.00 for a tag that usually goes for $1,500.00. But most of us want to know we are goin huntin more than 2 weeks before the season.

I guess I could schedule the vacation, wait til Oct 1 and have him search for a tag for me. And go chukar huntin if he don't come through.

I know someone who bought a henries landowner tag last year, and it cost him $30,000.00 so if you can find one for under $15,000.00 I would just sale it and use the prophets to go on 3 other deer hunts. As for colorado , all the better areas are over priced, I think a guy would be better off to look at lesser areas where they get some good private access with the tags, you could get just as good of a hunt for half the price.

Unfortunately, no matter what those tags go for, they will not necessarily lead to a "good hunt"......at least by my definition.

All one is paying for is the opportunity to hunt a private area with the "potential" to shoot a quality animal.....in some cases, an animal that has lived all year, in the close company with humans and domestic animals.

A pheasant club with fur?

What makes that a "good Hunt"...or a "quality experience"? In many areas of private land, you can stop along side the road and feed apples to the deer and elk.

We go to Colorado just about every year, onto public land around Kremmling, and have a great time.

There are lots of guys just like us in the camp areas, great stories, lots of giggles and grins and the business people there are GREAT!

We almost always fill our tags....mostly meat bucks, a few trophy deer occasionally, but we definately always have a "good hunt".

We went 3 for 3 this year, even though deer numbers were WAY down from years past. I cannot wait for next season!

If you did buy a unit 21 third season tag, you would be impressed with both quality and quantity of bucks there. I agree with many on here that there are great bucks all over Colorado, however, you have both quantity and quality in unit 21. I hunted it just this year third season and pulled the trigger early in the hunt--I can't complain as I killed my biggest buck yet. I really should have given it more time, however I just wanted a nice buck and that's what I killed. Now, the money is a realative thing to folks around here. Myself, as a middle school science teacher, i'd never be able to drop thousands of dollars on a hunt but maybe Shelby's can? I agree with Nickman too; you can have a tremendous hunt with friends and family every year in CO and still kill some good bucks. If you do decide on 21, drop me a line and i'll point you in the right direction. Lots of public access, and lots of great bucks!

bldrbuck,
I plan on hunting unit 21 second season next year,any info you have would be vary much appreciated.I have never been in unit 21, hunted 22 a few times.please PM message to me.
CBH

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom