2010 region W mule deer

M

massey_muley

I had a great time hunting with my best friend (andy) in unit 82 this year. I put us in for region w because it looked like there were good numbers of deer there and Andy wanted to kill ANY buck as it would be his first big game animal.

I felt more pressure to get him his first animal than i have felt in a while, and decided i would hold out for a nice buck.

We hunted our butts off all over the unit. A couple days in the big and little sandstone drainages, a couple days all around/on top of battle moutain, and all the way up to the edge of the unit on the cont. divide.

On the morning of day 3 I glassed up a band of does that had two small bucks in it. Long story short, after a gnarly mile and a half sprint down into little sandstone and up the other side, we were within 100 yards of the group. We eased over the rise and they busted out. Andy got set up and the "herd spike" as we would later name him, came out last. After quite a few shots and a lot of adrenaline Andy had his first big game animal down, the hard way. DIY.Public Land. It was one of my greatest hunting memories seeing how excited he got.

4937img_4180r.jpg

The next 3 days would be all about finding myself a mature buck. Like I said we hunted all over the unit and since the hunt that started 3 days later in 82 was the hardest to draw unit in Wyoming I was sure with plenty of miles of hiking and glassing from dusk til dawn I could have a chance at a decent buck.

Well we hunted until the last second of light on the last day and never saw a buck that was older than a first year buck. Saw a few decent ones hanging from other hunters but pretty disappointing.

I know it takes years to get to learn an area but dang I think we should have been able to turn up something.

I will never consider the money or time a waste though as it was awesome to see my friend kill his first deer. It may as well have been a 200 incher in his eyes!

Hope the rest of ya who hunted region w had better luck!

You had a more rewarding hunt and saw more country than most hunters who need a guide. IMO

I have spend a decent bit of time in that country, the deer have tons of cover, and they got hit hard by Winter a few years ago.

Ryan

Ryan,

I completely agree.
It was incredibly rewarding and the country was some of the prettiest ive ever seen.

Can't comment on the 07/08 winter since I lived in AZ at the time.

I also agree with you on the cover. I was really impressed by the habitat and the amount of edge and cover available.

EVERYTHING was perfect on this hunt besides the absence of mature bucks, but sometimes youre not in the right place at the right time!

Sounds like you needed a little luck is all. My hunting partner is the kinda guy that can hunt the worst area, just walk over a hill and there'll be the biggest buck in the unit staring at him. He did pay his dues in spades and is known by many to be a awesome hunter but the guy IS very lucky too and sometimes it just takes a little luck making the difference between a big ol buck in the rig or going home empty.

Sounds like you have a great attitude! If you continue to get out and get after them, i'm sure you'll do well! Congrats on your hunt!!

Joey

Sounds like you gave it your best, you can't do anymore than that. Of course a 180+ mulie would of been great but you have a lifetime of memories. Better luck next time.

7 Mag

Hunted that unit two years in a row, 06 & 07. We went the second week of the season in 06 and the best we could muster was a couple of small 3pts. We had better success in 07 with all six of us getting a 3 or 4 pt. My nephew was tops with a 23 inch 4x4. Saw tons of people and that was the biggest buck we saw taken. sounds like the 07-08 winter took its toll on the herd but that area is not very good for big bucks imo. Would love to have a speedgoat tag for that area though. Your friend will be hooked know and can only improve on his first harvest. Thanks for sharing a story of hunting hard with friends and not just killing a monster. Good luck on future hunts.

OP

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom