Saratoga Area Questions

WITUfan

My Dad and I are headed to unit 13 in October to chase some elk. I have a few questions about the area if anyone would give me some advice/recommendations.

We will mostly camp, but might spend a few nights in Saratoga or Encampment. Any recommendations? Are there any particularly good places to camp in 13 or is it mostly just pick a spot beside the road. We plan to set up a base camp and drive to various locations to hopefully find elk.

Taxidermy - I am hoping to find somewhere nearby that does Euro mounts with a fast turnaround time in case Dad gets extremely lucky (I have a cow tag). Would be nice to get it done and bring it home rather than leave it and pay for shipping. Anyone know of a place?

Processor - we generally do all our own meat, but might need to at least store one if the trip runs long. Any recommendations on a processor? Or, just as important to me, anyone to avoid?

I thought it would be good to try and get some first hand knowledge on here if anyone has advice.

Thank you!

Not trying to bust your bubble, but want to give an honest opinion. Extremely over hunted/crowed and will be a zoo.

Plenty of places to camp, just do a Google earth search and find a spot. Not many places where you can get a euro mount down in a few days unless you triple the price. Best of luck.....

Merrill Meats doesn't do wild game anymore. Hanson Wild Game Processing in Encampment may be a option but last year during archery they where not taking so had to run to North Park in Walden Colorado. There's places to camp, carry a saw or you may not get out until someone comes along with one. Last year we had to cut some trees for a guy that could not get out after a couple fell across the road.

You may find someone to do a euro for you in Laramie if not Saratoga.
No meat processing in Laramie though.

Koyoty Sports in Saratoga has a taxidermy shop. Would be worth a call to see about euros and timing. Merrill Meats used to do a quick skull cleaning so you could take the skull with you (sad to hear they are not doing meat anymore as they were quick and top notch for sure).

https://www.koyotysports.com/

Hunted an adjacent unit for deer. Shot a nice buck and went to a taxidermist in Saratoga to ask about the exact same thing. Euro mount. Thay looked at me really weird and avoided the subject and tgen said people dont really do that here. I went back and looked at the regs and it says you can't even take a skull out of the field. Had to cap my deer, clean it, and take it home. Guess I should have read the regs better. Must see in Saratoga are the free town hot springs!

Pretty sure no where in the regs it says you can not take your skull, it just has to be cleaned of meat and tissue to cross state lines - mainly.
Yes euros get done in Saratoga and elsewhere, that taxi was just lazy sounds like.

The regs used to only say "skull cap". I emailed Nesvik about the lack of a clean skull (no eyes or brain) for euro mount and the clean skull designation was added the following year (2019 chapter 2 regs).

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom