2011 Antelope Doe Hunt

ElkSniper

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-11 AT 11:19PM (MST)[p]Our antelope hunting adventures of 2011 comes to an end after last weekends very fun doe antelope hunt. We filled 8 out of 8 doe tags last weekend between our friends and family. I only have pictures of 5 out of 8 does harvested due to we had to kind of split up to get all 8. The bucks we saw must have got the memo that it was a doe hunt because they were a tease.

THE STORIES??

My uncle Brian and George were up first because they had the smallest/hardest ranch to hunt. Not much of a story on his antelope other than him almost getting stepped on by a buch of cows before he made a great 300 yard shot with his .243.
37912011_doe_hunt_003.jpg

Next was my uncle Brian. We had been trying to get him an antelope in this ranch the whole day and it just wasn?t working out. It was pretty funny because there was this cow elk roaming with the group of antelope that we were after. She would go everywhere the antelope went. The antelope kept leaving that elk in the dust. Every time they would stop the elk would bed down because of exhaustion trying to keep up with the group. It was pretty funny.
2622011_doe_hunt_005.jpg

We went back to camp to eat lunch and then head back out. By this time 2 of our friends have already tagged out on a different ranch. (Which I don't have pictures of). After a few congrats we were back out chasing these antelope. We had entered the small ranch and we could not locate a single antelope. Finally after a half hour of glassing we spotted a lone doe bedded down. Perfect! My dad and Brian go for the stalk and she busted them right away. She got up, ran a little and just looked at them HEAD ON. Normally when antelope look at you head on they are curious on what you are. I'm sure all of you guys heard of flagging an antelope. So that's what they did because they were pretty much busted. My dad was waving his cap back an fourth trying to keep the antelope from running off. My dad even started acting like he was fixing the fence. Ha Ha. Sure enough they walked within shooting distance. Brian makes a great one shot kill at 260 yards. As we were watching from a distance I yell ?Woo Hoo?. My little bro yells ?Woo Hoo My Turn?. Now it was finally Santiago?s turn to harvest an antelope doe.
4502011_doe_hunt_021.jpg

Santiago was very excited to be the one behind the rifle. As we were driving down the road we spotted a small group of antelope. The group had about 3 does and 2 bucks. The antelope rut was on. The more mature buck was chasing the immature buck and the does around which allowed my little bro and my dad to get within shooting distance. Santiago takes a shot at about 273 yards. Santiago had just harvested his second doe antelope.
11732011_doe_hunt_044.jpg

It was now Roberto?s turn to get one. We have a ?ZEBU? cow decoy that we wanted to give a try. It worked like a charm! At times it was hard to pick out Roberto with the cow decoy as he mixed in the real cows as he got close to the herd of antelope. Roberto got within range in no time. He took his shot and dropped his doe antelope. He wanted a small one for steaks.
97622011_doe_hunt_084.jpg

It was now Jose?s turn. Hunting these antelope is a lot easier when they are by themselves. One set eyes looking at every move you make is a lot better than 20. Antelope also make each other nervous when they are together. It was already getting kind of late in the day when we spotted this doe. She was all alone. Jose made a great shot and bagged his doe antelope. His was the last antelope harvested.
41612011_doe_hunt_089.jpg

Here are some more pics of the hunt.
Just after Santiago dropped his doe
22802011_doe_hunt_027.jpg

Taking a break to rehydrate
74642011_doe_hunt_026.jpg

Few deer
18902011_doe_hunt_067.jpg

1352011_doe_hunt_070.jpg

25622011_doe_hunt_071.jpg

Like I said these bucks must have got the memo that it was a doe hunt.
7722011_doe_hunt_029.jpg

11252011_doe_hunt_052.jpg

32292011_doe_hunt_055.jpg

69922011_doe_hunt_058.jpg

It was pretty funny. This buck was bedded down facing us then got up turned around and bed down facing away from us. I guess he didn't want us looking at him.

1222011_doe_hunt_080.jpg

75042011_doe_hunt_081.jpg

39232011_doe_hunt_082.jpg

It was a very fun weekend. I can't believe that the antelope hunts are all over. They just came and went. Now it's time to chase those bulls. Can?t wait!

Till Next time

ElkSniper

Lil Kiko...Very nice write up.I've been waiting for the famous play by play. As always it was fun, beautiful country. Can't wait to eat them steaks. To answer JFBNORTHERNHUNTER: We were around the Des Moines area.

good story. ha ha that big buck is sticking his tounge at you guys in that pic. saying you cant get me. congrats to all the hunters.

where is des moines?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-11 AT 05:51PM (MST)[p]Brian...

It sure was a good one! Im pretty sad that antelope season is over for us. Too fun. Im going to miss it till next year.

Thanks guys for all the replys!

ElkSniper..... Congrats to you and your CREW, once again great storys and pics!!! keep slaying'em.

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom