2011 Idaho Archery bear - big white patch

elkboy32

Hi everyone, I thought I would share pictures of my 2011 Idaho archery black bear. Last year, I arrowed my first bear, a beautiful blonde phase boar that measured 5'6". My goal this year was a black phased boar with a white chest patch. I started baiting around the 20th of April, but with a cold, snowy spring, things were slow. By the end of May, I had only 5 bears spread between my 3 different sites. Finally, this boar showed up with a hot sow. I noticed what I thought was a small white patch on his chest, and he became my target bear. One week later, I sat the stand. The first night was a no-show. My trail cam showed the pair showed up an hour after shooting light. The next night I did a honey burn, and 30 minutes before dark, he came walking down the trail. I couldn't tell if it was the bear with the white patch for about 15 minutes, but he finally stood up to lick some grease off a tree and I saw his big, white chest. I waited for a good shot, and he presented me with a broadside shot at 8 yards. A second, unneeded arrow put him down 20 yards from my treestand. The next morning, my father-in-law and myself packed him out (pajama pants are super comfortable for packing out!) He is currently at the taxedermist getting a half mount showing off his big, white chest. Talking to bear biologist and taxedermist, they say it is one of the biggest white patches they have ever seen. I am stoked on the 5'6" bear with a 17 7/16 inch skull.

6850248393_671515795204_40301523_35352464_2834081_n.jpg

7097254253_671516084624_40301523_35352481_8317182_n.jpg

3897249473_671517042704_40301523_35352516_5389684_n.jpg

That is a great story and awesome bear . I got one in Idaho last year with a big white patch myself . I remember what a cool feeling it was when that bear came walking in . Make sure to keep us posted when the mount is done . I would love to see it .
2083cool.jpg

Beautiful bears. That white throat patch is quite impressive and will definitely make your trophies stand out once mounted. Thanks for sharing.

Eldorado

And I will also keep in mind the idea of using my PJ's for some game packing . They look pretty dang comfy . LOL . I just need to figure out how to rig my little short barrel .44 up with no belt loopes .

On a side note a few years ago my bear huntin partner decided to leave his bear on the mountain over night . It was a pretty good sized bear even when it was gutted it weighed a bunch . We go back the next morning with pack frames and that bear was no where in the same area . We find some drag marks and we guess a big ol monster bear carried / dragged his bear up hill about 120 yards . The dead bear had been nibbled on a little bit in the gutted out area , so there was minimal hide damage .

So from that time on we get our bears out of there as soon as possible , and have packed several bears at 2am . Thats where that little .44 gives me a little sense of security .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom