2014 Archery Mule Deer Report

DWV015

Great hunt out in New Mexico! Unfortunately I did not draw a tag, but went out there as a guide of sorts, since I know the area better than the others. Regardless, it is just great to be out there. One deer down out of three hunters, but solid shot opportunities for the other two. Saw several bucks each day, one day we even saw 80+ does. The buck that was taken, was, well, a story you couldn't make up. The wind was whipping in the hills that day, likely 40+ mph. As they drove up the ridge the buck was feeding solo, upwind, and because of the strong winds he never heard the truck. Daylight was getting short so any move that they made had to be done quickly. A short stalk up the ridge, using the minimal cedars as cover, found them at 42 yards as the sun began fading behind the hills. He quickly drew his bow and placed his 40 yard pin directly behind the buck's shoulder and let it fly, only he didn't consider the gusty crosswind. The arrow could obviously be seen drifting to the left..... and the rest is history, struck him right below the base of his left antler in the head, dropped him in his tracks. Better lucky than good sometimes I guess! Did have a couple of other solid stalks for the other two hunters, one spanned over 4 1/2 hours and covered 2 miles of New Mexico countryside. Using two way radios and optics we got one of the guys within 35 yards where he came to full draw only to have his arrow deflect slightly off of a tree near the quartering away 9 point. The third hunter was able to head off a huge buck crossing the road behind us on the last evening only to have the wind once again carry his arrow off course near the monster buck (guessed him at 170 P&Y) perched at the top of the hill. It was an incredible hunt with great friends, definitely not skipping this draw next year.
Hopefully this works......here a few photos I was able to capture during the trip.

2207image.jpg

5626image.jpg

6803image.jpg

9934image.jpg

1464image.jpg

I

Earholing was an expression we used in football! I see it also applies to bowhunting! Nice deer.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom