2016 WY Pronghorn Growth

Togwotee

Long Time Member
I have max points and I'm thinking of trying to draw a pronghorn tag this year. any idea how the horn growth is going to be this year ? I know some years are better than others.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

As said above been getting lots of moisture. Just got done pouring rain. And currently 35 degrees. Last week had lots of rain to

It's a crapshoot. Thought last year would produce banner growth, but it didn't really pan out here in SW Wy. At least that's what I noticed. You just never know.

Go hunt.

I dont understand how drought affects horn growth. I see stomper animals in super dry years. In wet years I see good animals and weak looking antler growth. The dry years I always seem to get a good massive bull elk.

the antelope area I hunt produces some bad genetics. Usaully weak cutters and when I say weak they hardly even grow out an inch.

I see the same goats every year and usaully mass and length gets added to the buck but not the cutters.

So just my 2 cents.

http://azantelope.org/Facts___Research/Horn_Growth_Study/horn_growth_study.html

I'm also close to drawing a good tag in WY. I'm really interested in what makes a good horn growth year.

This study from NM shows precipitation reduces horn growth. There is also some speculation that cold winter temperatures can reduce horn growth and that is why antelope in northern states generally do not produce bucks as big as AZ and NM. There was some severe cold in part of WY last winter. A significant amount of the horn growth occurs during the winter. Could this be just an average or below average year for horn growth?

Also very interesting is that antelope reach maximum horn size at just three or four years old and then decline.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about it for a while! I burned my 9 non resident points last year and shot a nice Booner in 57. One of the funnest hunts I've been on. My buddy shot a 76 inch goat after 7 days of looking over 100's of bucks. Good luck to everyone. I can't wait to do it again!

I'm glad I don't have to worry about it for a while. My buddy and I burned our 9 non resident points in 57 last year! We had a blast and took home a 76 incher and a 80 incher. Good luck in the draw!

Posts 6 & 8 are both right, all the talk about moisture last year and great growth was unfounded.

You can tell what an antelope is going to be right now in my country. They will still add some length through the middle of summer, although Eli Grimmett says they grow later than that; he may be right in some states, but when I follow a big buck until season opens I sure don't see growth after July. I'm seeing average growth this year which means B&C bucks will be taken in Wyoming.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom