2018 Elk help

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Hello everyone,

Need some help determining what elk hunt to apply for next year. I am a non resident and will have 21 points going into next years draw. This summer I am planning to take my yearly, week long family camping trip in whatever unit I decide on. This will give me some time to scout the area.

The 3 units I am looking at are Mt. Emily, Walla Walla, and Wenaha. This will be a DIY hunt most likely by myself, or maybe with one friend. Since this will be a OIL hunt for me, I am determined to get the best quality bull possible. Due to temperatures (and most likely being solo), I am leaning away from an archery hunt, unless there is strong reasons to archery hunt one of these units.

What is everyone's take on these 3 units for a solo hunter. What is everyone's take on best unit to find a trophy bull, and pros and cons of each unit.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Bill

Congrats man, you have made it! Must feel like getting out of prison! Twenty one years is a very long time to wait. I bet you have already made up your mind and are most likely going to pick the Weneha rifle hunt but I'll throw in my observations. As a NR you can't draw the Walla Walla rifle tag ever. Not gonna happen. The outfitters buy up the NR tag before it even hits the shelf, so you can scratch that one off the list.

And if your going solo you should not bow hunt. Not having a caller is going to hurt you and besides, it sounds like you don't want to bow hunt anyway. With the rifle hunt you can glass bulls and pick the one you want, whereas when you call them in you're only getting to look at one. You can only reasonable hope to call one bull a day..of course you'll see more, but unless you get really pumped up by screaming elk you should not do the bow hunt. It sounds like you want the biggest bull possible and the fun part is secondary, so it's best to leave these bow hunts to the real stick and string guys.

Another problem with those archery hunts is all spike tags they put out. Don't get me wrong, the rifle hunt has them too, but a lot of the archery spike guys aren't there to kill a spike, they are there to call in some monster bulls for the fun of it. So you are gonna be dealing with lots of other folks calling. A lot of them are locals and will have the peak of the rut timed perfect. Not something you want to deal with after 21 years.

A lot of guys on the edge of drawing put in for the spike tag the year before, second choice of course }> , and go over to learn the unit. It's not too late for you to do that, you got till the 31st to modify your app. Sounds like the perfect family vacation lol.

I would look hard mt Emily. They just killed a 439 out of there and a 373. I heard there were two 400+ models that came out there last year. Weneha also produces the goods as you know. You're gonna have a hard time getting away from other guys even with the wilderness. Be prepared to follow a long trail of horse manure.

So from your original six hunts I've narrowed it down to two for ya. They are both incredible hunts and you can't lose either way. I would personally pick mt Emily just because it so damn pretty in there. But it's up to you..

LAST EDITED ON May-28-17 AT 00:26AM (MST)[p]The public NR Walla Walla rifle tag is available every other year and will be drawn by a NR again in 2018 (even years, outfitter odd years). You have the points to draw that hunt if you choose. You'll do just fine on a bowhunt calling yourself, been doing it for 40 years.
I would not burn 21 points on that hunt.

With 21 points it's a no brainer, Wenaha #2 or Mt Emily if you want a little easier hunt. both are the best hunts in OR it's a matter of opinion which is best. I wouldn't slow up at any others.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>Congrats man, you have made it!
>Must feel like getting out
>of prison! Twenty one years
>is a very long time
>to wait. I bet you
>have already made up your
>mind and are most likely
>going to pick the Weneha
>rifle hunt but I'll throw
>in my observations. As a
>NR you can't draw the
>Walla Walla rifle tag ever.
>Not gonna happen. The outfitters
>buy up the NR tag
>before it even hits the
>shelf, so you can scratch
>that one off the list.
>
>
>And if your going solo you
>should not bow hunt. Not
>having a caller is going
>to hurt you and besides,
>it sounds like you don't
>want to bow hunt anyway.
>With the rifle hunt you
>can glass bulls and pick
>the one you want, whereas
>when you call them in
>you're only getting to look
>at one. You can only
>reasonable hope to call one
>bull a day..of course you'll
>see more, but unless you
>get really pumped up by
>screaming elk you should not
>do the bow hunt. It
>sounds like you want the
>biggest bull possible and the
>fun part is secondary, so
>it's best to leave these
>bow hunts to the real
>stick and string guys.
>
>Another problem with those archery hunts
>is all spike tags they
>put out. Don't get me
>wrong, the rifle hunt has
>them too, but a lot
>of the archery spike guys
>aren't there to kill a
>spike, they are there to
>call in some monster bulls
>for the fun of it.
>So you are gonna be
>dealing with lots of other
>folks calling. A lot of
>them are locals and will
>have the peak of the
>rut timed perfect. Not something
>you want to deal with
>after 21 years.
>
>A lot of guys on the edge of drawing put in for the spike tag the year before, second choice of course }> , and go over to learn the unit. It's not too late for you to do that, you got till the 31st to modify your app. Sounds like the perfect family vacation lol.
>
>I would look hard mt Emily.
>They just killed a 439
>out of there and a
>373. I heard there were
>two 400+ models that came
>out there last year. Weneha
>also produces the goods as
>you know. You're gonna have
>a hard time getting away
>from other guys even with
>the wilderness. Be prepared to
>follow a long trail of
>horse manure.
>
>So from your original six hunts
>I've narrowed it down to
>two for ya. They are
>both incredible hunts and you
>can't lose either way. I
>would personally pick mt Emily
>just because it so damn
>pretty in there. But it's
>up to you..

Very solid advice here.

Hope u draw! If your figuring comes frm "O"tag draws...doesn't gurantee anything... u can never figure those sittin on points...I should have drawn an Antelope tag, twice now but got out pointed by point only folks..I realy hope u draw and IMO draw the Wenaha! Bh1

Thanks everyone,
Decided it will be a rifle hunt on either Mt. Emily or Walla Walla. Waiting on maps and will then plan a summer trip soon to check the area out.

Thanks again
Bill

you really cant go wrong with any of the 3 units. i have bowhunted the wenaha and walla walla. you mentioned you might be hunting solo. just wondering if you have plans for packing out an elk solo. Mt emily and Walla Walla both are steep and deep, with Wenaha having some easier country.
just a thought. best of luck in the draw.

Tell you what...if you want to archery hunt one of the big 3, I'll come & be your caller. I know a couple other guys that would do the same, because we know just how awesome this unit really is! I wouldn't BS about offering this if I couldn't call and you waiting this long! If it was me, without a doubt I go for Walla Walla archery hunt!

just me 2 cents...and offering to help! PM me and we can chat more.

muleyman

Got 21 points myself, but had to go PP this year with some major work commitments this fall. I didn't want to risk not having enough time after waiting so long. Especially when it sounds like the units are pretty good right now. Probably going Wenaha archery.

I suspect you could probably get some local help from La Grande with the Emily tag. There are lots of guys here that live to connect with someone who has that tag each year... If they already have a buddy hunting next year, you will be out of luck, however.

Post here and on Ifish.net and get some help. I don't think it will be overly difficult to find folks willing.

>
>With 21 points it's a no
>brainer, Wenaha #2
>or Mt Emily if you
>want a little easier hunt.
> both are the best
>hunts in OR it's
>a matter of opinion which
>is best. I wouldn't
>slow up at any others.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay Thirsty My Friends

I like Walla Walla better than Emily.

But you better put your big boy pants on to hunt there, the country isn't easy..

Many guys have seen this already, but here's my bull from last year if you haven't...It was mentioned already, but lots of guys will be willing to share info if you draw. I would lean towards Mt. Emily, I left you several bigger bulls to choose from :)

North American Hunting Competition
https://northamericanhuntingcompetition.com/

Back
Top Bottom