2020 Suggestions

upmuley

Sitting on 14 points and I am looking to burn them in 2020. Have another friend with the same points who would likely join me on the hunt. Because I live a good distance away and run a business I have no time to try to do this hunt DIY as I have done previously in the West. Anyone willing to share suggestions on outfitters/units? Via PM is great or post here. I appreciate any suggestions in advance.

I would no longer consider the NW units around Craig, Meeker and Rifle. They got absolutely hammered and the deer were already struggling. I hope you find an option but with the recent tag increases and the new season structures, you are looking at a pretty grim hunt.

Assuming deer of course!!!

>I would no longer consider the
>NW units around Craig, Meeker
>and Rifle. They got absolutely
>hammered and the deer were
>already struggling. I hope you
>find an option but with
>the recent tag increases and
>the new season structures, you
>are looking at a pretty
>grim hunt.
>
>Assuming deer of course!!!

Kind of what I was thinking. Looking to cash them in though and just hunt the Eastern Plains going forward.

+1 guided eastern plains- with those points and a guide you will very likely see some good ones... the mountains are hit or miss these days with bucks unless it's 4th season action, and even then it can be pretty tough...

>What size of bucks are you
>guys looking to kill?

I'd like a realistic shot at a 180. I know this caliber of animal is not behind every tree no matter where you go and have come home empty handed enough when I set a certain goal to understand that is definitely a possibility.

14 points is an insane amount of points to burn on the plains... yes there's giant bucks but use those points on a mountain buck while you can. I would talk to Lazy F bar in Gunnison. Probably look into units 55 or 66. Deer numbers are a fraction of what they used to be but it only takes one and the genetics are there.
Coloradoboy

>14 points is an insane amount
>of points to burn on
>the plains... yes there's giant
>bucks but use those points
>on a mountain buck while
>you can. I would talk
>to Lazy F bar in
>Gunnison. Probably look into units
>55 or 66. Deer numbers
>are a fraction of what
>they used to be but
>it only takes one and
>the genetics are there.
>Coloradoboy

I'd agree. I elk hunt 55 and have saw some really good deer there

I think point creep is going to get really squirrely in 2020 and 2021 with everyone trying to ditch the points for late season dates and to catch the last bus to partake in what could possibly be the straw that breaks the camels back as far as Colorado?s mule deer are concerned. If the weather hits, the 3rd season could get real ugly the next couple years and 4th will be there to clean up whatever?s still alive in the name of CWD and tag revenue.

Coloradoboy

>14 points is an insane amount
>of points to burn on
>the plains... yes there's giant
>bucks but use those points
>on a mountain buck while
>you can. I would talk
>to Lazy F bar in
>Gunnison. Probably look into units
>55 or 66. Deer numbers
>are a fraction of what
>they used to be but
>it only takes one and
>the genetics are there.
>Coloradoboy

That is exactly my quandary. Too many to use on the Plains but I am not sure I have enough to get a decent 3rd season because as stated I think 2020 and 2021 will see a lot of people cashing in points to apply.

Upmuley following your thread here as in almost the same scenario as you. Sitting on 14 with a buddy and wanting to burn next year as well.

Make sure you look at the new season structure dates if your considering muzz or whatnot.

Personally I don't want a fourth season but looking maybe more towards second. 66 has been on our radar forever it seems!!

Good luck with your decision and keep in touch if you want

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom