2023 Memories and Adventures

Muley_73

Very Active Member
2023 ended up being one of the whirlwind years with more memories and adventures with family and friends than I deserve. I figured I'd post of quick summary as I do enjoy the pictures and stories shared on this site.

2023 actually kicked off in January as my brother drew Barbary tag in Texas and I was able to make a quick trip with him. I love the terrain and chasing free range Barbary Sheep, the increase in popularity the last few years has been kind of bummer as draw odds and prices seem to be skyrocketing. Here are a few pics of that hunt.
IMG_5935.jpeg
IMG_5937.jpeg
IMG_5924.jpeg

This is the post I would post about the Utah General deer hunt....Here are the highlights.......................................................... ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................end of hunt.

My son did have a little better luck on the Idaho General hunt with a solid 4x4 to start the mule deer season off.
IMG_1638.jpeg
IMG_1656.jpeg

Last edited:
Onto CO for 3rd Season Mule Deer. My son and I both burned a few points this year and had high hopes going in. The warm weather and lack of rut made it a different hunt than we had expected. Garrett had done his homework with a ton of escouting and we pounded it hard and finished with incredible memories and one of the best hunts we have ever had together. 2 great bucks were a cherry on top!

A few of the bucks that got a pass...
IMG_0646.jpeg
IMG_0645.jpeg
IMG_0644.jpeg
IMG_0643.jpeg

After an entire night of talking plans for the morning we finally headed to bed. Laying in the bottom bunk I could see the glow of Garretts phone from the top bunk..."how badasss that we got to video that buck and hunt him in the morning. I couldn't have agreed more.

Luck was with me the next morning as the buck popped out 184 yards from me 5 mins into legal shooting light. I waited for Garrett to get off the hill he was set up on before walking up on him. As we stood there together looking at him Garrett had a giant smile. All he said was "This is the moment we have been chasing together for 20 years". Definitely a moment I will cherish with him for 20 and hopefully 40 more!
IMG_9801.jpeg
IMG_9728.jpeg
IMG_9741.jpeg
IMG_9733.jpeg
IMG_9681.jpeg
IMG_9683.jpeg

IMG_9955.jpeg
IMG_9964.jpeg

I am not quite sure what it is with coues deer but they make my pulse pick up and my heart thump. I am like a teenager again and its hard for me to stay off the trigger when I see a buck that is 3 years old or above...part of me hopes that continues. After a day of glasses some smaller bucks and does and 3 black bears, day two put this buck in my BTX and it was go time.
IMG_0652.jpeg
IMG_0651.jpeg
IMG_0653.jpeg
IMG_0074.jpeg
IMG_0073.jpeg
IMG_0158.jpeg

Back home for a week and head back to NM. Had the privilege to go harvest a buffalo with the Taos Pueblo Tribe. A really unique experience with some good people. The wildlife program they have set up is amazing and I was blessed to be able to harvest such a special animal with them.
IMG_0277.jpeg
IMG_3876.jpeg
IMG_0382.jpeg
IMG_0385.jpeg
IMG_3964.jpeg
IMG_0278.jpeg
IMG_3969.jpeg
IMG_0302.jpeg
IMG_0314.jpeg
IMG_0383.jpeg

Kody-

Congrats on an awesome year! I love all the extras and character on your CO buck. How fun to share a hunt like that with your son. What caliber is that lever action rifle you used for your buffalo hunt?

Hawkeye

Kody-

Congrats on an awesome year! I love all the extras and character on your CO buck. How fun to share a hunt like that with your son. What caliber is that lever action rifle you used for your buffalo hunt?

Hawkeye
Hawkeye
Thanks, lots of good family memories for sure. Rifle is a 32 Winchester Special…gift from my Dad to my wife, but she let me borrow it for the buff.

Back home for a week and head back to NM. Had the privilege to go harvest a buffalo with the Taos Pueblo Tribe. A really unique experience with some good people. The wildlife program they have set up is amazing and I was blessed to be able to harvest such a special animal with them.
View attachment 129915View attachment 129916View attachment 129917View attachment 129918View attachment 129919View attachment 129920View attachment 129921View attachment 129922View attachment 129923View attachment 129924

I love that you used that gun. Cool way to do it

What a season! Congrats! It looks like your family has perfected the long arm 😂

Thanks for sharing!

What a season! Congrats! It looks like your family has perfected the long arm 😂

Thanks for sharing!
It’s like when Barry Bonds started juicing ….you have to level the playing field to protect your own legacy!!! Lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom