2033 Paunsagaunt rifle

Hans

Being from Salt Lake I very rarely have been off of I-15 south of Salina. With that being said after 25 years I drew the Paunsagaunt rifle deer tag. I made a trip down to the Bryce Canyon area and was told that I need to be further south west to find any decent bucks come October. I haven't an idea even where to begin, I would appreciate any advise to realize my dream of harvesting a deer that I can brag to my 15 ear old grandson. Thank you in advance.

I pretty sure you mean 2023.

Lots of information on this forum of your hunt in question. Do a search and read all the threads and you will have a great deal of information and some good starting points. Never hunted this unit myself.

Should be a blast and should be able to find a great buck.

It's going to be my wife and I and am hoping to make more memories. As to date the funnest hunt was her cow elk hunt. In 3' of snow and lots of fun. She made a tremendous shot of 430 and dumped her. The kill was great but b means did it match the quality time together.

I pretty sure you mean 2023.

Lots of information on this forum of your hunt in question. Do a search and read all the threads and you will have a great deal of information and some good starting points. Never hunted this unit myself.

Should be a blast and should be able to find a great buck.
Lmao, yes 2023.

If its just you and your wif :) :)e, may I make a suggestion.? Use any time you have to buzz down there this summer and go check out the bucks on top of the unit, where they are during the Archery season. If you can make a few trips down, it'll benefit you come Oct. Find the lower area where the deer will be in Oct, then scout out the roads, campsites, etc. Literally make it a hunt of a lifetime. Enjoy the time with your wife, an area you haven't experienced, and if you kill a nice buck in October, its the cherry on top. I hope you take us along with pics and such.

If its just you and your wif :) :)e, may I make a suggestion.? Use any time you have to buzz down there this summer and go check out the bucks on top of the unit, where they are during the Archery season. If you can make a few trips down, it'll benefit you come Oct. Find the lower area where the deer will be in Oct, then scout out the roads, campsites, etc. Literally make it a hunt of a lifetime. Enjoy the time with your wife, an area you haven't experienced, and if you kill a nice buck in October, its the cherry on top. I hope you take us along with pics and such.
I surely will and thank you

Click on the magnifying glass icon. A Search screen will pop up. Type in Paunsaugunt and click on the Search button.

There are five pages of posts that will come up, answering a huge amount of your questions.

Good luck on your hunt.
Thank you

Just drive around opening day until you a sight like this, except they'll be holding rifles instead of fishing poles. Then you'll know that's where the migration is currently at ?
steelhead-fishing-Erie-Pennsylvania-1543445293.jpg

Wife and I are heading down to Kanab over the 24th to do a little scouting. Anyone have suggestions on what canyons I should look at. Wanting to take some pictures for the grandkids because they can't come with us. In pictures I'm thinking landscape

Get familiar with the Skutumpah road, specifically the chained areas around Carly knoll. That's where the majority of the deer, and people, were last year. Also get familiar with the roads below the whites, near Nephis pasture, John R flat, etc. Lots of roads in that area, definitely want a SxS or 4 wheel drive with the tires aired down for the sand.

…….definitely want a SxS or 4 wheel drive with the tires aired down for the sand.
As hot and dry as it has been for the last 3 weeks, take 257’s advice. Let the air out of your tires. That dry sand will not be a pretty picture………

Get familiar with the Skutumpah road, specifically the chained areas around Carly knoll. That's where the majority of the deer, and people, were last year. Also get familiar with the roads below the whites, near Nephis pasture, John R flat, etc. Lots of roads in that area, definitely want a SxS or 4 wheel drive with the tires aired down for the sand.
Thank you 257

Don't forget to look south of the highway to the AZ border. We saw good bucks there a couple years ago. Just a warning, you'll seldom see the same buck twice.

Deer moo at Elk Ridge. There has been plenty written about where to find Pauns. deer on this blog. Just remember they do not moo on your hunt. They have been road hunted and scouted so much, unless the weather cooperates you will see them a very little in the early morning and late evening - - - Or you can just spotlight with the guides. Then again just shoot a small three or four point. You will see plenty of them .:)

Most Hunters Don't Have A Clue What Goes On When The Light Goes Out!

This Was Quite A Few Years Ago!

I Decided To Stay Up All Night Parked Oh A Vantage Point on SJ!

And I Was Only Looking at a Small Fraction Of Landscape!

I Counted 17 LIGHTERS That Night!

Yes!

It Was Deer Season!

No Different Than Trail Cams!

Locating a Shooter Is A Big Advantage!

I Don't Hear Anybody PISSING & MOANING About LIGHTERS?

But Them Dreaded SmokePole Scopes.................!

Deer moo at Elk Ridge. There has been plenty written about where to find Pauns. deer on this blog. Just remember they do not moo on your hunt. They have been road hunted and scouted so much, unless the weather cooperates you will see them a very little in the early morning and late evening - - - Or you can just spotlight with the guides. Then again just shoot a small three or four point. You will see plenty of them .:)

Call Wade Heaton. He makes more as a county commissioner than guiding deer so I'm sure he'd be glad to help?

Being from Salt Lake I very rarely have been off of I-15 south of Salina. With that being said after 25 years I drew the Paunsagaunt rifle deer tag. I made a trip down to the Bryce Canyon area and was told that I need to be further south west to find any decent bucks come October. I haven't an idea even where to begin, I would appreciate any advise to realize my dream of harvesting a deer that I can brag to my 15 ear old grandson. Thank you in advance.
my dad drew a muzzleloader tag so we will be hunting right before you. I highly doubt we will be hunting the unit again anytime soon so I'll be happy to share any tips and information after our hunt. I will private message you.

Down here in Kanab trying to get an idea of what this area is like. We went up Johnson cyn to Skutupah and a little bit around. Trying to figure out where I need focus for my October rifle deer hunt on the Paunsagaunt

Down here in Kanab trying to get an idea of what this area is like. We went up Johnson cyn to Skutupah and a little bit around. Trying to figure out where I need focus for my October rifle deer hunt on the Paunsagaunt
There are some great glassing spots on Timber mountain. You are on top of the whites, looking down towards the reds. Accessible from the Skut road.

Just above the cliffs on opener early.. when you stop seeing bucks get below them.. even better you can go below 89 to heading towards the ditch and just glass all day..
Jester

How do I get up on the Whites? I drove Skutumpa unil I ran into deer springs ranch and turned around. I didn't want to upset anyone

Very nice. Congratulations on a beauty. I hope to see something similar on my rifle hunt on the Paunsagaunt

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom