.204, 22-250, .223, or .243

nvhunter

looking to get a new coyote gun, the 7mag is just a bit too much on them. Looking at these 4 calibers, which one do you reccomend?
Personaly im kinda stuck between teh .223 and .243

If it is going to be soley a varmit-coyote gun, I would go with the 223. Flat shooting and ammo is easy to find at very reasonable prices.

If it may end up doing double duty as a deer-antelope rifle for you or another menber of the family, go with the 243.

RELH

I have a 22-250 and absolutely love it. I have shot tons of squirrels and lots of coyotes with it. I have even shot a few wild pigs with it and it worked awesome. With todays super high quality bullets, you could also use it for deer and speed goats out to a few hundred yards. Just my opinion. If you go with the 22-250 try 38 grains of H380 behind a 55 Grain Sierra for squirrels and song dogs. That load is poison outta my Winchester Stealth II.

I'm a fan of the .204. It is flatter than the .223, and the ballistics are awesome. I wacked one at 300+ last year and it tipped over dead... Its a fun gun. And WAY accurate.

CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

.243 especially if you plan to reload. I am getting great results using the new Superfomance powder. 3800 fps using a 70gr Sierra Matchking very accurate. Deadly on coyotes, but rough on pelts.

i love the 22-250. i got mine set up for long range.

but i think the .243 is a good route to. you can use it from small game to big game. the where the 22-250 is legal for deer in some states.. i say no to the .223 cause it dont shoot as far as i want it to. just my personal opinion

All those you mentioned are great yote burners! .223 is my favorite for many reasons, but my dad has a .204 that is lights out on dogs, it doesn't buck the wind the way the .22-250 or .243 but that little .204 hammers em.If you shoot a bunch but don't reload the .22-250 and .243 can get costly compared to the .223, but hornady and federal also makes some great loads for these ....Best of luck...

If it a coyote gun only I would stick with the 220 swift.
Allround coyote,goat,deer 243 hands down.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I use a 22 Hornet, 222remmag and a 243Win for coyotes, all are useful in their own right. However, if I had to pick just one, it would be the 243Win.

You can shoot a 55gr 6mm bullet to around 4,000fps, something very few 22's can do. Then, when the winds pick up, or the ranges get long, I can use a 100 or 105gr bullet, and fold them up nicely at 400yds+.

Thanks guys for all the replys and advice. I really think i am stuck on the .243 for the versatality. Thanks again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom