21st Century Muzzleloading Video Review

W

Wolfhound

Video review

This is a well-produced video with information for both the novice and the experienced shooter. Several tests were well thought-out. I particularly liked the "patch burn" tests and the blowback tests. The patch burn testing was particularly useful for showing what kind of usable flame is delivered to the respective powder charge. Of course the blowback tests were important for those mounting scopes. For those who don't use scopes, or the state where they live doesn't allow them, that section may not be as important to them-however, not many people want gas in their face, either.

I was also interested in the chronograph info. The differences between Pyrodex pellets and T7 pellets were something that I didn't know. After having spoken with Randy Wakeman and watching the video, I am now strongly considering buying a chronograph for load development. The bullet info was informative for a novice, although a well-experienced shooter might not get quite as much out of it. The powder info was interesting; particularly the performance differences between Pyrodex and T7. The accuracy of the various rifles was interesting as a general guideline, but the most revealing information was in the case of the Knight's Powerbelt ?fussiness.? If I were to buy one of the rifle models tested, I might get the same accuracy with the same load. I might also get slightly larger or smaller groups depending on the individual rifle or my particular prowess at the range.

The scope commentaries were interesting. I have a Millett ?Buck Gold,? and the quality is almost as good as my Burris ?Fullfield II.? I find that impressive for a scope that retails for 70- 80 dollars less. His commentaries on the various rifles were informative and useful depending on how discerning a shooter you are. The cleaning and maintenance info was also informative. Although I use different products the method is almost the same. The sighting in section was informative, especially for a beginning shooter. I bore-sight as well, but his method works very well also.

The only areas I personally would have liked more time spent on were in load development and blackpowder arm history. A "standard baseline load" was used in all the rifles to give the viewer an idea what to expect in ?out-of-the-box? accuracy. He did go into it slightly with the Knight Extreme and different weighted Powerbelts. I like history and although it was covered briefly, more detail could have been presented on the various lock types. However, this tape is not promoted as a ?history tape? in any way.

I thought this was a well thought-out video. I would have like to see more detail in some areas, as mentioned. Given the constrictions of just one tape, however, certain compromises obviously had to be made. Overall, I thought the video was well worth buying: especially if you are considering your first muzzleloader or a brand new one.

For purchasing info, contact Randy Wakeman at [email protected]. Though this tape has just been released, it is already available from various dealers such as Gamaliel Shooting Supply, by phone order or through their website at www.gamaliel.com.

Patrick D. White

Perry, Illinois

runningwolf.gif

A quick note about Gamaliel, they have only had the video for a couple days. It isn't currently on their website, but you can call them at: 1-800-356-6230 and order it over the phone.

runningwolf.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom