222 info , for a youth

brokenneck

Hey all, I'm on a mission!
A friend of my wife and mine has a 9 year old son who doesn't have a dad. well he has a dad, but the worthless pile doesn't have anything to do with his son and hasn't even visited him since he was 4 years old.

This boy is a VERY GOOD KID! He works hard in school and is very respectful!
He always loves coming to my house and taking about wanting to go hunting when he gets older.it's all he talks about!

Well I did some wheeling and dealing and traded/bought him a Edmonton model 788 .222 for his birthday coming up and I'm going to mentor him on a doe hunt next year.
'222 isn't very common in stores so I will need to reload for it, but that will be a great learning experience for him too and he will love helping.
After looking into it more,I see is a really nice round and will be a great starter rifle for him.
Does anyone have any recommendations on bullets and loads that have worked well for you? I'm really excited about it because I know he will be EXSTATIC over it!

I also put a post on the classifieds looking for some stuff for the gun.
I'm looking for dies and brass.
I also need to replace the scope since the old man I bought it from says" it holds zero as long as you don't move the zoom" lol
Thanks for any input.

Kudos to you for being that boy's mentor. I have never used a .222, but if you are going to use it on deer. You will need a tougher constructed bullet so it does not blow up like a light constructed varmit bullet might do.
I am sure some of the guys on here will be able to steer you to a good bullet selection that will fit your needs. If you have a place to shoot jack rabbits, might be a good hunt to get that boy started on his shooting skills with that rifle & caliber.

RELH

Find you a tough bullet to load and load it as hot as possible. I started out with a 222 (still own it) and killed several deer with it. That said, I would jump him up to a 22-250 or a 243 as soon as he can handle it because the 222 is very limited as a deer rifle. Keep you shots to less than 100 yards and you should be OK on a broadside double lung shot.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Great Caliber for it's Use!

I'd definitely get Him something Bigger for Big Game Hunting!

I Know!

I Know!

When the Bullet is Placed Just Right you can probably Kill them with a Pellet Gun!

Just Sayin!

I'd work him up to a Bigger Caliber for Big Game!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

>
>Great Caliber for it's Use!
>
>I'd definitely get Him something Bigger
>for Big Game Hunting!
>
>I Know!
>
>I Know!
>
>When the Bullet is Placed Just
>Right you can probably Kill
>them with a Pellet Gun!
>
>
>Just Sayin!
>
>I'd work him up to a
>Bigger Caliber for Big Game!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red
>Hot Barrel & My Dead
>Cold Hands I Shall go
>down Fighting for American Pride
>& Rights!
>I Know I'm Out Numbered by
>Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll
>Throw Their Hands in the
>air & I know I
>can't Lick the U.S. Military
>by Myself when they Turn
>on us but I'll make
>
>you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a
>Situation where I Hope to
>Hell All Americans become True
>Americans once again & Stand
>up for their Rights!

A agree with you, but I also know it will do the job fine. Years ago I liked a whitetail deer with a 222(it wasn't mine just a barrowed one on a hunt) and I used a 223 a few times on a doe hunt .after reading my reading book, the 222 is only 125fps slower than the 223.
But when it's all said and done I would like him to have a 260 rem or a 7mm08 . But to be honest, it's not like I have money burning a hole in my pocket and I just want to make sure he gets started now and if we keep it just for target practice and DOE only hunts, he should be fine

Elkassassins right all the way around. I got a friend that regularly shoots antelope with 1. Yer doin a good thing, just get him to the range so he has the ability to hit where he aims out to 100yds. By the way he uses factory rem core lockts, I know that doest help u much as a handloader, but if u can find them they work.

I've reloaded for and used the 222 Rem for over 40 years. I currently own 2, both Sako rifles.
Barnes and Nosler make heavier constructed bullets that will will work OK for deer at reasonable ranges (150-200). Don't get bullets that are too heavy since that rifle probably doesn't have a fast-twist to stabilize them. I wouldn't probably go over 60 grs. I've used Re-7 and IMR4198 with 50 and 55 grain bullets.
Bullet placement will be the KEY with such a small cartridge.
Good luck! You're doing a good thing here!!!!
Zeke

>I've reloaded for and used the
>222 Rem for over 40
>years. I currently own 2,
>both Sako rifles.
>Barnes and Nosler make heavier constructed
>bullets that will will work
>OK for deer at reasonable
>ranges (150-200). Don't get bullets
>that are too heavy since
>that rifle probably doesn't have
>a fast-twist to stabilize them.
>I wouldn't probably go over
>60 grs. I've used Re-7
>and IMR4198 with 50 and
>55 grain bullets.
>Bullet placement will be the KEY
>with such a small cartridge.
>
>Good luck! You're doing a good
>thing here!!!!
>Zeke

+1 what Zeke said.

I have a 222 in a 722 Remington. Love that gun. My favorite gun to shoot. But I have never used it on anything bigger than coyotes. It is by far the easiest gun to shoot that I own. Everyone who has ever shot it loved it.

Zeke is right on about the slow twist. Its probably 1 in 12. 4198 has been a standard powder for that rifle. I've used it with great success on 40, 45, 50, 55 grainers. VERY accurate. I would also agree on 60 grain bullets but I have never loaded or shot them through this gun. I like smaller, faster stuff for varmints like magpies, squirrels and jack rabbits.

I also agree with elkass (oh no!). Get him into a little bigger gun asap for deer.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Good job for taking an interest in this boy you probably will become very important to him. As stated above I really think the 222 is too light for big game. I have several kids that are shooting my kid rifle right now one 10 years old the other 11 it's a 243 and they get along well with the recoil. It's old and scratched, I picked it up for $125.00 it shoots well you need one like that IMO if you're going to take this boy deer hunting.

I shoot a222 also you can find factor loads if you look but I had to start using copper bullets for I live in the great state of Kali. my rifle is Winchester model 70 in 222 with a 1 and 12 twist after many tries at reloading copper fro this gun we came up with this combo barns 36 gram bullets Winchester powder 3748 wt.24.o casing win. also it really shot bergers bullets well also just my thought on it.cowboy57

JUDAS!

Took about 15 years for NVB to agree with me!:D

>>I've reloaded for and used the
>>222 Rem for over 40
>>years. I currently own 2,
>>both Sako rifles.
>>Barnes and Nosler make heavier constructed
>>bullets that will will work
>>OK for deer at reasonable
>>ranges (150-200). Don't get bullets
>>that are too heavy since
>>that rifle probably doesn't have
>>a fast-twist to stabilize them.
>>I wouldn't probably go over
>>60 grs. I've used Re-7
>>and IMR4198 with 50 and
>>55 grain bullets.
>>Bullet placement will be the KEY
>>with such a small cartridge.
>>
>>Good luck! You're doing a good
>>thing here!!!!
>>Zeke
>
>
>
>+1 what Zeke said.
>
>I have a 222 in a
>722 Remington. Love that gun.
>My favorite gun to shoot.
>But I have never used
>it on anything bigger than
>coyotes. It is by far
>the easiest gun to shoot
>that I own. Everyone who
>has ever shot it loved
>it.
>
>Zeke is right on about the
>slow twist. Its probably 1
>in 12. 4198 has been
>a standard powder for that
>rifle. I've used it with
>great success on 40, 45,
>50, 55 grainers. VERY accurate.
>I would also agree on
>60 grain bullets but I
>have never loaded or shot
>them through this gun. I
>like smaller, faster stuff for
>varmints like magpies, squirrels and
>jack rabbits.
>
>I also agree with elkass (oh
>no!). Get him into a
>little bigger gun asap for
>deer.
>
>
>[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I
>just stir it.[/font]

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

The 222 will kill deer. I currently own 2 and it is my favorite cartridge to shoot. I have killed countless deer, coyotes, prairie dogs and rabbits.

For deer I shoot Remington 50 grain corelokt bullets. Seems like I was loading IMR 4198. Between 19.5 and 20 grains.

Between my father and I, we own five 222's. My favorite load is 26.o grains BLC(2), 50 grain bullet, Federal 205 primer. The only bullet I can think of I'd recommend for deer is the 50 grain TSX from Barnes. If you go much larger, in weight, with a solid copper bullet, they are too long for the slow twist if the 222. I believe Remignton used a 1:14 twist in the 788. I've tried 55 grain TSX, and they were not stable, and grouped poorly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom