.224 Valkyrie

Sallaberry

Very Active Member
Anybody shooting this round looks pretty cool. I don’t know if I’m overthinking this. I already have a .223, 22-250 and .243. I would be looking to top one of my lowers which this round. Talk me off the ledge or push me off it please.

I wouldn't waste my money on one. All those calibers you've listed are easy to get ammo for and will kill any predator you may be hunting with that type of round.
I really have no interest in most of these new calibers, especially the .22 calibers.

I don’t see the need unless you want to plink long range with what you already have. I hunt and have killed deer, pigs, antelope, and bighorn with an AR in 223 without issue out to 300 yards. If you want to push that 300 yards to 400 or 500 yards the Valkyrie might make sense over the 223, but if you have a 243 and 22-250 it seems to cover that niche. I have a 6mm arc for my son that he shoots in an AR for 500 yard and in hunting. It may be an option to consider as well.

You never need an excuse to buy a new rifle but you do have this one pretty well surrounded. I agree they look really cool and I don't know anyone that has one, including myself. So...

You never need an excuse to buy a new rifle but you do have this one pretty well surrounded. I agree they look really cool and I don't know anyone that has one, including myself. So...
Right that’s why I’m reaching out to see if anyone loves them. I bought a couple lowers and looking into topping the soon. It’s ballistics are pretty sweet. It wouldn’t be for hunting just target shooting. As stated above I have plenty of hunting calibers but always looking for more.

I don’t see the need unless you want to plink long range with what you already have. I hunt and have killed deer, pigs, antelope, and bighorn with an AR in 223 without issue out to 300 yards. If you want to push that 300 yards to 400 or 500 yards the Valkyrie might make sense over the 223, but if you have a 243 and 22-250 it seems to cover that niche. I have a 6mm arc for my son that he shoots in an AR for 500 yard and in hunting. It may be an option to consider as well.
So it looks like I’m going with a 6 fat rat.

I had a couple AR's before my boating accident but never got as immersed into them as many guys are. Cool rifles but they're not my daily drivers.

Yes, there are lots of cool things you can do with them but the same can be said of most rifles.

Okay, now I'm just showing my ignorance on the subject so carry on.

Zeke

My thought is for a .224 caliber center fire, a 223 is a must to have in a bolt and/or an AR. The next would be a 22-250 for the heavy bullets. I think of brass or ammo availability anymore. 224 Valkyrie seems like one that would have a lot of back order with it when you need or want to shoot it. The 223 is something I find at the range, have others give me, have thousands of my own, or is usually available at all times. It doesn’t get any better than that. I can’t see picking up Valkyrie brass at the range or anybody giving me their spent brass. 22-250 is common enough that you should always be fine and is just as cool as the Valkyrie in my opinion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom