23 Youth Elk

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
My son drew his first big game tag at 13. We have a lot to look forward to this October and as an avid elk hunter myself, taking my son into the elk woods for the first time is going to be a pretty awesome adventure! We.are on the search for a rifle that will have enough elk knockdown power yet still be manageable to shoot. I anticipate we will be shooting throughout the summer as to be sure he comfortable handling the firearm in a lot of different shooting positions. We are looking at the .270 and 7mm-08 options for him. He's a skinny frame but "tough" and growing like a weed right now.

As far as the 23 hunt, he should be able to handle a 3-4 miles a day of hiking. It's tough to say cause Im sure not much of that ground is flat in 23. I also don't want to burn him out the first day and I know this unit is rough country.

Hopefully the elk will start to calm down as the 2nd archery season pressure will be gone for two weeks before the youth hunt. Bulls still should be firing off assuming we can locate some.

Anyone have any experiences to share about 23 that would be interesting and helpful at the same time. Less interested in the size of the bulls, again, this will be his first elk hunt. I want to keep it fun, we can and will work hard as that's gonna be a requirement in 23 I'm sure, and enjoy this first of many elk hunts with my son to come. I have 4 boys, he's the oldest :).

Thanks!!

Both will do the job if you hit an elk in the kill zone . My kids when they were that age were using a 308 and my 13 year old niece will be using that same 308 this November . Best of luck to your son this fall.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-18 AT 10:29AM (MST)[p]Lots of elk in the north half of the unit, more scattered and on private in the south half.

Elk will be talking good you should have no problem finding elk. Quality is good some big bulls come out of that area, but this isn't shaping up like a good antler growth year. The northern parts south of Luna have the most elk but almost the most hunting pressure. Its thick which makes it harder to hunt but if they are talking the thick cover will help. You should have no problem finding a mature bull to chase, but getting a shot in the thick stuff can be a problem.

Cartridge choice wont matter both you listed will work fine. Just take the one your kids shoots the best with a good bullet

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-18 AT 10:42AM (MST)[p]Thanks! That's quality info and much appreciated. Antler growth is like moon phase, not much we can do about it, just take what we can get and make the most of it.

We went the .270 and gonna hand load some Barnes ?X? 130?s. Any pics of the country or stories of the hunt?

Any 23 archery vouchers for sale out there? Would consider this option prior to my sons hunt as a scouting/hunting trip.

Anyone with a unit 23 NM elk tag. Here’s your lucky day wanna see monster bulls in a unit everyone calls a hard hunt. Want to see them off the highway? Instructions, waypoint, and areas of interest below. Most honest piece of honey hole elk country you’ll read today.

The bull pictured, no joke was killed right by the highway. Everyday countless people drive by and think nothing of it. Right off highway 180w and the mangas road is where you’ll find these beasts. They spend a lot of time in both 24 and 23 bouncing in and out of private. Look on any imaging system and you see the depressions east of agua alto water tank and there erosion dams the elk go all about these low desert ridges from the Tyrone mine to blacksmith canyon. You’ll find them repeatedly in up the deep draw near Fleming canyon. The 24 side is hard to hunt them unless their in one of the checkerboard areas of public but the 23 side is easy. Park off the highway where the little piece of Forrest touches 180 or go around and walk in from the saddle rock side. Big bulls dominate this area.

Here’s an onx way point to get you in the right area.

32.77611, -108.48253
86A8F282-2CE5-446F-B75F-EE91B7439995.png

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom