243 Win for mule deer

R

Rem308

I am using a 243 with 95 grain Ballistic tips for antelope.Does anyone use this for muledeer ?What success have you had.Thinking of using it next year.Very accurate rifle and bullet/load.

my buddy's wife shoots that combo. I'm normally not a fan of BT's for hunting, but we have recovered several slugs from deer, well it works!

Me thinks if you had a dollar for every mule deer killed with a .243 you'd be a happy guy! BT have been improved and they are being used on quite a few hunting shows to demonstrate their lethality. For muleys I think an accubond, partition or any other premium bullet would be a little better but it's just insurance, core lokt's have killed thousands of them. My wife has shot a lot of muleys with a .243 out to 350 yards and we haven't had any issues with the caliber or the fact it works. But throw it out there in a hunting camp and sit back and watch the debate. It's a cartridge that will do the job with proper shot placement but on marginal shots there are cartridges better designed for the job.

Just wanted to suggest the 260 rem. There is very little recoil and you can shoot a 120 to 140 grain bullet which help with those not so perfect shots. I took my 27 inch 5x5 mule with my wifes model 7 REM 260 and he didn't go 50 yards until he slide nose first threw the snow. Used 120 Nosler BT

My dad used a 243 for years. Killed more deer than any gun I've ever seen. I also killed my first buck with it. I would go 100gr. partition.

My 10 year old son has killed 2 whitetail does and my 13 year old son has killed a doe and a buck with their .243 shooting 100 grain Nosler partitions this year. All of the shots were between 75-100 yards, complete pass thru's. The buck ran 20 yards before dropping over and the does all went straight down. Needless to say we love our .243 with the 100 grain NP's.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom