25-06ai or 257 weatherby

muzz

Long Time Member
Which one would you go with. And I reload so it's not a big deal.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

If using a 26" or longer barrel I'd personally go with the Weatherby, shorter than that the AI due to powder burn efficiency. Contrary to what some claim, the AI CAN'T match the Weatherby when loaded to equal pressures, but it will get close enough that the critters won't know the difference. Go with what trips your trigger.

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

I handload for the .257 AI. While I like the ballistics compared to the .257 Roberts, I find loading for the AI to be more trouble than it is really worth. Cases must me loaded Roberts and fire-formed to the AI, then loaded AI. In order to prolong case life cases must be annealed first. It is much simpler to load for calibers which do not require fire-forming IMHO.

If I had to choose between them two it would be the WYB. Only cause you don't have to mess with cases. However both great gommer guns. I mean great guns. I think they are over kill. I have had a wyb and now have 2 25-06 rems. If money is no object then WYB because you have to bye the cases or loaded ammo to get the cases.
I like the 25-06 rem cheaper to load and brass is everywhere.
Just my 2 bits. It will burn the barrel out. What ever trips your trigger you will love the results of the .25s Lets go shoot Chad

Rutnbuck

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-14 AT 08:30PM (MST)[p]you don't need two 25-06's so sell me one.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

What bullet would you guys shoot? I just bought a remington 700 in 257 wby and was thinking 110 accubond. Thoughts? Sorry to hijack your post muzz.

Its all good here. 110 to 120 grain bullets is what im thinkin if I get one.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Lol No such thing as having two many guns. You can never have to many. One is a varmint gun tricked out and one is a sporter. I am thinking about getting one more a B78 in a Browning a falling block single shot. But I can't find one.

Rutnbuck

I am with Muzz on the 110 and 120s I lean towards the 120s unless chasing yotes. Then the 100s in HP's. I don't do the lighter bullets. To fussy in the wind at long range and they drop of to fast. I just do spritzer soft points or hpbt never had a problem. Far as accubonds just another gommer bullet as far as I am concerned.

Rutnbuck

.25-06AI is a lot of messing around for not much gain. But if a guy likes that sort of thing good for him.

Semper Fi

The only thing I have to add is the weatherby shoulder can be a b1TCH TO LOAD. i HAVE A 270 Weatherby and I have to ream the inside of the necks or the TSX bullets will hang up and the shoulder will collapse. My rifle wont shoot anything other than a TSX under 1". Everything else is like 2" to 3" groups. I would go with a 257 roberts if it were me. Ron

>The only thing I have to
>add is the weatherby shoulder
>can be a b1TCH TO
>LOAD. i HAVE A 270
>Weatherby and I have to
>ream the inside of the
>necks or the TSX bullets
>will hang up and the
>shoulder will collapse. My rifle
>wont shoot anything other than
>a TSX under 1". Everything
>else is like 2" to
>3" groups. I would go
>with a 257 roberts if
>it were me. Ron
>

I've loaded lots of different bullets for my .257, never once had a problem with and shoulder issues. This is the first I've heard of this being a Weatherby problem

2a0fcsk.gif

>The only thing I have to
>add is the weatherby shoulder
>can be a b1TCH TO
>LOAD. i HAVE A 270
>Weatherby and I have to
>ream the inside of the
>necks or the TSX bullets
>will hang up and the
>shoulder will collapse. My rifle
>wont shoot anything other than
>a TSX under 1". Everything
>else is like 2" to
>3" groups. I would go
>with a 257 roberts if
>it were me. Ron
>

I would look at the brass and your sizing die for these issues. Almost sounds like a doughnut issue or to way to much neck tension.

It is actually a TSX issue. The ribs on the bullet will grab the neck. I ream the necks and hit them with the deburring tool and they are fine. A slick sided bullet won't do this but it does show that the weatherby shoulder is crap. Ron

I know a little bit about these cartridges so might as well give my thoughts and opinions on the subject. Before getting into the AI cartridges VS. the Weatherby though, i'd like to express how much faith i have in the good ol 25-06 in it's own right. Few of us actually shoot at game over 500 yds away. I have but i don't like to and hope that i don't ever have to again. 400 yds is a very long shot on game. 500 yards is Waaaaay out there and, IMO, out of the realm of most guys personal abilities, most, and shouldn't be taken but by those who have earned the right, put in the time, effort, and knowledge, to do so.

So, how much do you gain with the Ai version over the plain 25-06? is it worth it? You have to first answer me this, is there a difference to you between the 257 Roberts and the 25-06? How about the 270 Winchester vs the 270WSM? The 30-06 vs the 300 Win mag? Each of these cartridge example groups have about 100-200 FPS difference between them shooting the same bullet. If you might favor one over the other because it can do "more", then you might be a fan of the AI line of cartridges because they basically do the same thing, more.

As far as the added difficulties in reloading for the Ackley IMP cartridges, i have found them to be easy as pie. When i need brass, i shoot factory parent cartridges thru my rifle and wa-la, i then have Ai cases ready to reload. I've not had to annul (sp?) to this point.

Factory 25-06 ammo runs out at about 3000 fps in the heavier bullets. Factory Weatherby cartridges run out around 3400 FPS. I seen loadings posted here and there of the 25-06Ai using the heavier bullets running about 3200 fps.

So, you have choices. You can shoot good high BC .257 bullets at 3000, 3200, or 3400 FPS thru the gun chambered of choice. If that matters to you for what you want to do, there you go, pick your poison, they will all kill, they are all very deadly on game. If i were to make up a 25-06 AI, i'd order up a barrel with a faster twist than what comes from the Factory. Seems to me, the twist on factory 25-06's limits velocity some, the faster twist would no doubt help in handling the heavier longer bullets one might choose to hunt game with. That's my $.02

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I asked myself this same question a few years ago and decided on the 257 Wby. I have had good success with 115 gr Bergers.

>The .257 Weatherby Mag. was Roy
>Weatherby's favorite cartridge,just saying!!

And for a dang good legitimate reason.....it's nothing short of spectacular!! :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom