25, 26, 35 deer

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
I've got a hunt booked that I believe is sort of in the corner of these three units for Nov 20 - Nov 24. Anyone else been to this area during this time that could offer some expectations or suggestions for me to get ready for the hunt? I'm thinking it's going to be a pretty dang good hunt; especially with those dates. This will be my 2nd time to CO for deer; hopefully I'll be successful this time!

I've already checked references, etc - I'm just basically trying to kill some time and talk with those that have been to the area.

Thanks

They kill some really nice bucks on Burns Hole, and the timing of your hunt is about as good as it gets. The area took a bit of a beating from the 07-08 winter. But if you get a bit of snow, combined with the rut, you will likely have a terrific hunt.

there have been some dandys taken up there. timing is great just when the snow gets to deep you really gotta hunt the lower country if there arent as much snow get up high. and if there is no snow well your usually screwed and completely gotta rely on luck. just my $.02 and thats all from experience ive lived in eagle my whole life
$MAVERICK$

No they havent built it back up the cabins are still there cause they didnt burn but they got tents and stuff set up for it and they still party there alot. HAHA i think they will rebuild it eventually but since it was about 3 years ago they obviously arent in to big of a hurry

$MAVERICK$

Ya they throw some good party's there. i stayed in the cabins and the yurts out back for a few years while hunting, one year at the haloween party it just about turned into a brawl between hunters and granola crunchers! but it turned out to be just a few random fist fights! fun times.

This buck is from that area, taken in Oct 2007 right before the big winterkill. Saw a lot of smaller bucks, none bigger(on the hoof). There were two together of this size, but the other one was a 4x3. Did see some other hunters with bigger bucks they had killed, maybe 2-3 that were in the 26-27" range, this one was 25" wide. I hunted down low as you can see, not 1/4 mile from the Colorado river.

sideviewdownsized.jpg

correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that 25 and 26 were mostly the flattops wilderness, and if so that are would be tough to get into in november.

It should be titled 35/36/45. Basically eagle county with the exception of unit 44 which is a trophy unit which is hard to draw. A lot of tags and hunters but a few nice buck get taken.

>It should be titled 35/36/45. Basically
>eagle county with the exception
>of unit 44 which is
>a trophy unit which is
>hard to draw. A lot
>of tags and hunters but
>a few nice buck get
>taken.

He had the units correct for what he was talking about.

Yes - I still am talking about 25, 26 and 35. I don't know where 35,36,45 came from. I'll be headed to some private ground that I belive is in the corners of 25, 26 and 35.

alkl those units are combined 25,26,35, and 36 are all combined units so you can hunt any of them with the one tag a lot of are to cover.
and 25 and 26 are flattops or west side of the colorado river 35 and 36 are east of the river.

$MAVERICK$

>alkl those units are combined 25,26,35,
>and 36 are all combined
>units so you can hunt
>any of them with the
>one tag a lot of
>are to cover.

Wrong.

I saw a huge buck on a ranch in Unit 26 a couple of years ago while driving south on Rt 131. Initially I mistook it for an elk. If you have access on one of those ranches, Im jealous.

No for sure where you're talking about or exactly where I'm going, but I'm going on some RFW property with Bull Basin Outfitters Nov 20-24. Should be a fun hunt.

I was lucky enough to tag along on that hunt with a friend last year, saw at least one 170 buck each day and 3-4 160's. Lots of deer to look over if you get the weather. It's a great tag, good luck.

>Nice deer. Were you on
>public or private ground?

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I was on public land with a lot of other hunters.

Get there early each morning to check in, they spread out the hunters and send each to a different part of the ranch each morning. I think the property they had listed as King Edwards was the best.

I believe the RFW area with Bull Basin Outfitters is the Burns Hole. We've done late cow hunts in Unit 26 on other private ground in late Dec and Jan and always seem some really nice deer...some 30"+. I've wanted to deer hunt there but haven't been able to draw as I didn't want to burn my points. Good luck.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom