257 roberts

Ruger is still chambering it. I've kind of been kicking around the idea of getting one in an Ultra light M77.

I would reconsider getting a 257 Roberts. loading your own ammo is required, almost impossible to find any ammo in most stores. I have heard complaints from custom builders that it requires more finess to get top accuracy out of this caliber, where the 25-06 has a rep for outstanding accuracy. The 25-06 is ahead of the 257 in velocity, flat shooting. Comparing the 257 to the 25-06 in performance is like comparing the 308 to the 30-06, there is no real comparsion. My 2 cents and no 257 lover will ever change my opinion of the two calibers.

RELH

???
I have 'an have had 257's fer years!
Present gun is a Ruger MkII, no accuracy complaints from me!
Ya... the 25-06 is far superior in everyyyyadda yadda yadda....
So enjoy yer 25 awt an live 'an let live!
Variety is good!
I roll my own, so off the shelf is not an issue, but I saw quite a variety on the shelves of SW just yesterday fer the Roberts.
'Ole Ned new what was up.

I have a Roberts in a Rem M700 Mt. Rifle and I wound not trade it for anything. I use Hornady ammo and she shoots 5/8"(3 shots)
everytime I shoot it. I wish I could find another 1 or 2 also everything I shoot with it just falls over dead.

Just my .02 cents,Jon

I love my 257 Roberts. It is the most accurate of my big game rifles. I've taken cow elk and deer with it. Sure the 25-06 has more of everything, including recoil and a longer action. So what? The 257 is lots of fun to hunt with. Wish I could endores the M77s with as much enthusiasm.

Jon;

My 25-06 is a consistant 1/2 to 3/4 inch grouper day in, day out. I have chalked up over 30 one shot kills on deer & antelope with about 10 of then in excess of 400 yards to 600 yards. I have not put a Shilen match grade barrel on it, it still has the factory barrel. If you do find another 1 or 2 Roberts that will shoot 5/8" groups, you better grab it quick, because there is not that many in that caliber that will shoot that good. I am basing this on personal experience, and the experience of other rifle builders and what they encountered with the 257 Roberts.
On the average, the leader in "out of the box" rifle calibers for accuracy in non magnum are the 25-06, 30-06, & 308, and in magnums it will be the 300 Win. Mag. and 338 mag. A lot of guys will be surprised about the 338 mag being in there. It has shown to have such inherent accuracy, that the British military snipers use it and love it for reaching out there and touching someone.
I knew my first post on the 257 would bring howls from guys who have and love that caliber, but it does not enjoy the rep for having inherent accuracy. Just because a few will shoot good, does not mean that is the case for the average rifle.
I picked the 25-06 several years after it became a factory round, no longer a wildcat, after doing a lot of research on it's reputation. I was looking for a 25 or 27 caliber to fill out my rifle battery for deer & antelope. I was considering the 257 Roberts also, but after the research decided to go with the round that had the best rep for what I was looking for in a non-mag deer & antelope caliber. I even passed up the 270 for the 25-06. Boy! RLH is going to give me Hades for that admission. Now I have gone and ticked off the Jack O'Conner boys and will catch it now.

RELH

Pre64;

I agree on the M77, if you gave me a Ruger M77, I would dump it the next day for anything I could get out of it. Might as well tick off the Ruger fans along with the 257, 270 boys. I can take the heat.

RELH

If remington made a model 7 in 257 I would be first in line to get one. I have always liked that round, you just can't find it chambered in any rifles.

Wholly Cow!
I'm gonna drive out to that big 'ole salty lake I live by tonight 'an chuck that nasty 'ole Ruger Roberts out as far as I can!
Git RID of that piece before it contaminates all the udder riffles in the safe! Oh....wait!! Better load up all the other 77's (stinky old mauser-actioned AFFORDABLE AMERICAN made POS'es that they are...), toss them to! ;<}
What, eggsactly is wrong with Ruger?
I do not have a Ruger or Roberts tatoo, butt own both, with mucho pleasure and enjoyment.
And guess what? Everything the .25 awt can do, the Roberts will do too.
Maybee not as fast, with a little less energy at 800 yards, but how dead is dead?
Accuacy problems??? Who? When? Where?
The big plus (to me, anyway), is that not everyone and their kids 'an their kid's freinds, has a Roberts!
As I said, it's all about variety! If you lock yor mind on one caliber or one make of rifle, I am here to tell ya, you are missing out, BIG time!
HTH! Go with the Roberts! You will not bee dissapointed!
If you want to pep it up after a while, any competent gunmith
can toss 'an "Ackley Improved" stamp on the barrel, thatt'll give any 'ole awt-6 a run fer it's money!

>The big plus (to me, anyway),
>is that not everyone and
>their kids 'an their kid's
>freinds, has a Roberts!
>As I said, it's all about
>variety!

I wish I'd said that. I love the looks I sometimes get when I say I'm shooting the Roberts.

"Is that like a .257 WSSM?".....ah......no.

There was a period when Ruger was putting out some shoddy work. I believe that the barrels were made by Wilson sporting goods. "WILSON!!!" (tom hanks reference) Anyway, a good shooter was rare. They have had some trouble overcoming that reputation. From what I hear the quality has returned but accuracy is still hit and miss, pun intended.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-06 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-06 AT 02:08?PM (MST)

Ole Uncle Ned got it wright.( some guys just really like guys named NED )neck down a case and load a smaller bullet on it,WOW I've just made a new caliber that my 95 year old grandma can shoot with out her falling out of her wheele chair--Way to go NED-oh and little Rosey.."Johnny by birth name"..his wrist is much to limp to hold up a MAN'S rifle..besides we like to see the bullet as it leaves the barrel,kinda like to watch it all the way to the target..you know out to the 80 yard mark..Heck my mother-in-law can run faster than a Roberts can shoot.BUT if you have to have one, find a nice old Remington mdl 722 chambered in 257 Roberts,that way when you get left settin on the porch because you can't run with the big dogs, you can rebarrel it to a useable caliber 25-284..(for you that "Roll your own")!..If you want a trick gun that will shoot around corners,by all means get a Ruger...barrels are Ford Jack handle rejects..I just heared that somewere.Now you Know I'm an expert on the subject becuse I own a 257 Roberts and have shot it about 15-20 times and I have only wounded 2 pieces of paper that I had to do more than three follow up shots on to bring it down.:RIMROCK

There are names fer pee-pole like you!
'An I know fer a FACT that yer mother-in-law would do the 100 yard mark at 2900 fps if you tied some pork-chops to the target!
A 722?? I always said you could tell a guy that owned a 722 by the "popeye" type right arm developed from work'n that "bolt". I thought those 'ol antiquated relics(sorry fer the big words- you'll hafta look 'em up!) had long since turned to redish powder...
'An I guess if ya don't knock over 3 rows of shooters at the range with the blast from the brake on yer 340(hay! the weight of yer MoInLw!!)Weatherbeep yer jus' not a real man, eh?
Sheesh....

I have an old M77 in 6mm that starts walking around the target after about the fifth shot you take, I'm shure a bedding job would fix that. It shure does knock over prarie goats, though.
I have NO complaints about the MkII, it's more accurat than I can shoot it.

I just love to hear the rants and raves from guys who discuss their favorite rifle with passion instead of hard facts. Anyone that is getting the velocity of a 25-06 in a 257 is a guy who is loading his ammo too damn hot for safety. Recoil between the two is almost impossible to detect at the shoulder.
the 257 was great in it's day when Ned Roberts wildcatted it, so was the 30-30 around 1900 when it became a factory round.
As for Ruger M77 and it's accuracy, just walk into any big sporting goods store and purchase 10 Rugers, 10 Rem. M-700, 10 Winchester M-70, 10 savage 110, 10 Weatherby vanguards, their cheap model and take them to the range. After firing all of them for grouping at 100 or 200 yards, you will find the Ruger in dead last place for accuracy after averaging the group scores.
do the same with several 257's and 25-06 and the 257 will be put to shame when the groups are average from several factory guns. Belive me, or not believe me, just do not let your passion make you stupid and put money on the outcome.

RELH

whillikers fellers all i said was''257 roberts''...thanks for the incite...twas a transcontinental rant clocking about 2800f.p.s. i reckon...hunting season is another day closer...

RELH,Good plan but I've just came up a few bucks shy for the last 10 rifle to buy..How's about a loan? :) :RIMROCK

Ha!
Favorite caliber?? No... they all are!
Favorite rifle?? he he he... the safe is full of Remingtons!!
Smatering of Browndogs & 1 Winchopper, that had to go back to Winchester, I might add! But I don't hate Wins...
I dooo like Ruger, 'an I hate to hear people dis 'em on hearsay.
Talk about rant 'an rave?
I'd of thought the .25 awt was the greatest thing since Winchester '73!
Do you own any Rugers?
Probably not because someone said "they're not accurate"!
Well I can say;
The MKII's I own do not have accuracy problems.
They are great rifles!
They didn't cost $700+!
.257 R is a fun, different, very capable caliber!
I've got passion fer riffles.
I've got passion fer variety.
I've got passion fer being a bit different.
Try, sometime, something other than a .25-06!
You might get a rude awakening.

Mr RELH
#1 My Roberts has a factory barrel,no other gunsmith work,a 99$ Bushnell and with FACTORY ammo it shoots that good never I had a need to "roll my own" with this rifle.

#2 Hornady,Federal,and Nosler all have FACTORY loads that EQUAL any 25-06 load! Look it up for yourself if you like.

#3 If I really want to reach out and touch something or shoot real groups I grab my other pet , my Rem .300WM (at least I know you like that caliber)

#4 If you love your 25-06 thats ok its just that some of us like to use a caliber with some CLASS!

Just my .02 cents, Jon

RimRock 338;

I could loan you the money, but when you complete the rifle buying, I plan to make a large wager with you prior to the testing. when the Ruger comes in dead last, I want you to have sufficent funds to pay me my winnings.

elkabong; I am not basing my complaints for the inaccuracy of ruger M77 rifles on hearsay. there has been many tests already conducted that have shown the Ruger rifle to be lacking in the dept. of accuracy when compared to other standard factory brands. Tear your ruger apart and take a good look at the recoil lug and it's difference from all others, part of the problem lays in that lug and it inability to be bedded the way it should. Plus the barrels ruger uses are not that great.
During my time working as a gunsmith and law enforcement armour and firearms trainer, I would receive and fully read any where from 30- 60 publications every month that pertained to firearms, ballistics, and gunsmithing. alot of these publications you guys have never seen or even heard of. They contained a wealth of information that was based on actual testing, not hearsay BS this is one reason why I have never owned a Ruger M-77, because they are inferior to alot of other rifles in several aspects, accuracy being the main one. Some of you guys feel that the Ruger is accurate enought for you, good for you, but that does not mean it will meet my requirements for accuracy. I am not a ruger hater either, even if Bill Ruger was a sellout to the anti-gun crowd. I do own a Ruger 10-22, won it in a pistol match, it now has a trigger job and match bull barrel and will group 5 shots into less then 1/2 inch at 50 yards. My squirrel rifle. I also own a Ruger Mark II semi-auto pistol that is a tack driver and a Ruger single six with both cylinders for a plinking gun.
Coyote13;
If there is now factory loads in 257 Roberts that equal the velocity of the 25-06, common sense ballistics should tell you that they are being loaded to a higher presssure level. Load the 25-06 to the same preassure level and the roberts is again losing the race to get to point "X". This same higher pressure level is detrimental to case life for the guy who reloads his ammo. The old case of giving up one thing to gain another thing, I prefer to have both with the 25-06 and the accuracy to boot!!!
Guys, do not get me wrong, if a person wants a Ruger, or a 257 Roberts, go out and buy one. That is part of being a "gunnut" or a hunter that desires a battery of guns for different hunting pleasures. Just because you happen to like a paticular caliber or rifle brand, do not try to BS me or others because of your passion for that gun or caliber and make it into something it is not, if I know better, I will call you every time just for the sake of a good argument. Another thing you guys need to remember, Ruger was the leader in making guns out of investment castings, this allowed him to make a cheaper priced gun when compared to forged machine parts. He cut corners there, now you need to figure out, did he cut corners elsewhere to produce a cheaper rifle that you guys will buy just based on cheap price only. Remember the old saying "You get what you pay for". If your budget only allows you to buy a Ford, do not try to pass it off as a Mercedes.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-06 AT 12:10PM (MST)[p]This is getting stupid. The 25-06 is not better than the 257 Roberts. It is a different round in a different class. The 25-06 will shoot the same bullet about 200 fps faster. For those on the velocity bandwagon this is the priority. The cost of the velocity is recoil and action length. In terms of accuracy, the Robert's most limiting factors are rifle and ammunition selection (if you don't reload). Both are relatively limited.

For the record, I shoot 115 gr. partitions at 2750 fps in my Roberts. I'm sure I could get some more speed out of it, but I don't want to. This combination seems to be particularly effective (IMO).

Beyond ballistics, this cartridge has a nuance that is lost on many. A few posters here have talked about class, or variety. This is an intangible quality that is very difficult to convey. Lets just say you won't be able to pick up a Roberts at Wal-Mart. Its also a great round to start your kids on.

If you are looking for a very effective deer rifle out to maybe 300 yards with neglible recoil on a compact action then the Roberts fits the bill nicely. If you are after the latest and greatest WWSSMM round, you probably won't like it. Keep your eyes open at a gun show.

RELH,
Now... don't try 'an muddy up a good argument with a lot of facts 'an proof!
:<}
I will do some research on this.
All I am saying is, I have had fairly good luck with Ruger, minor problems with one out of 4, (rifles, that is).
Acceptable accuracy for me, accuracy depends on the shooter, I know I am jus' not the greatest bench shooter, so a 5-shot-one-hole group is out of the question, even if I had an Anschutz or BP...
That could be why I am happy with a 1/2 or 3/4 group.(or 1"!)
Please edjamacate me... what did 'ole Bill do to sell out?
Obviously not on a S&W scale, I would hope?
HTH!
Pandora's box??
Hey, at least we care, huh?

Rim... eat my shorts. eh?? :<}

'Bong

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-06 AT 10:00PM (MST)[p]ELKabong;

Do you remember back when the great cry and hue was over assault rifles and large capacity mags? Well old Bill Ruger himself made a decision to cave in to the anti's and stated his company will no longer sell large capacity Mini-14 mags to the citizens of this country. Only law enforcement or military will be able to get them. To this day, when you buy a Ruger mini-14, you only get a 5 shot mag. If you want a 20 round mag, you have to get it from after market supplers. This has always made me wonder if California took this into consideration when they passed the Assault Weapons bill and they did not include the Ruger Mini-14 on the lists of assault weapons, but the AR-15, AK-47, and other semi-auto rifles similar to the mini-14 were on the list. I still wonder of old anti gun Roos cut Bill Ruger a favor for kissing their anti gun butts.

RELH

A few years ago Remington chambered the 700 ADL synthetic for the "Bob" and some are still available new in the box. Also you can get a Model 7 Remington from the custom shop. Its not cheap but it looks oooo so good. Ruger still chambers the model 77 but many have a similar opinion that I share that they are junk. The No 1B can be had in the "Bob" but I haven't seen a new one in a long time. There are numerous used guns in this caliber including the Browing A-Bolt. There has been a number of posts comparing the Roberts with the 06. If you hand load (which I've done with this caliber for over 25 years) you can approach the stated ballistic of the 06 of about 3050 fps with a 115 gr bullet. Of course if you handload you can also get a bunch more from the 06. I've never heard any custom gun maker say " the Roberts is finicky or hard to build a rifle thats accurate". The late Townsend Whelen said " the .257 Roberts is perhaps the most useful cartridge for hunting in North America". That speaks volumes about this cartridge. If you handload the "Bob" it is capable of good power and accuracy but if you buy over the counter you best stick with the 06. There is plenty of good ammo available for the 06 and lots of new rifles.

thanks to ewveryone for the response...talking about rifles is a form of hunting also i reckon...this is a great website i.e. huntin camp...thanks to brian and everyone else who originated monster muleys

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-06 AT 12:36PM (MST)[p]Happytohunt;

You are welcome. As you can see from the replys, picking a certain caliber or make of gun can become a "heated" discussion between persons of different ideas on what makes a good caliber or hunting rifle. The bottom line is weight all the advice and form your own opinion on what will be the best caliber or gun FOR YOU. Just because I like the 25-06, does not mean that it will be the best for you and your hunting requirements. Just try and not buy a gun that later you wish you went another way and that gun sits around not being used or resold for a lower amount then you paid for it.
buying a new gun can be a fun experience if you do your research like you did here by asking a question, and narrowing your picks down to several makes or calibers and making your final decision base on what you want and what feels comfortable for you. It is like chasing a certain girl, the chase can be as much fun and exciting as catching her does.
my wife has threaten to use Hoppe's #9, instead of perfume in order to get me to stroke and caress her as much as I do my guns.

RELH

<buying a new gun can be a fun experience if you do your <research like you did here by asking a question, and narrowing <your picks down to several makes or calibers and making your <final decision base on what you want and what feels <comfortable for you. It is like chasing a certain girl, the <chase can be as much fun and exciting as catching her does.
<my wife has threaten to use Hoppe's #9, instead of perfume in <order to get me to stroke and caress her as much as I do my <guns.

<RELH

LOL!!
Hoppe's.... The danger would be accidentally locking her in the safe!
Yes, what RELH said!
Half the fun is doing the research on what ya want, then tracking one down! Whatever you decide on.
Happy hunting!

My view of the .257 Roberts? I'm buying the next two or three I find if I can afford them. Great caliber for women, children and old men. Since I'm getting to be an old man and hoping to teach my grandchildren to shoot/hunt I need more than the one I now have:)

Phantom Hunter

I have a Ruger 77 ultra light in 257 with a leupold 1.5x5 scope. We shoot 100 gr sierras with a load of 3031 for right at 3100 fps, 20" barrel and good accuracy. (1.25"-3 shots at 100) My wife uses it exclusively, and my daughter shot her first buck with it. Probly accounted for somewhere between 20 and 30 whitetails on our place here in Texas, never had to trail one up. In our opinion, cannot go wrong with one for whitetails.

> Great caliber for women,
>children and old men.

Wool... they are fair on women 'an chidren, cause of the light skin, butt 'an old guy can be perty tuff, I personaly wouldn't go after an old fart wit' nothen short of a .375, loaded with solids...

;<}

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom