26 years and still counting!!!

steelheader

once again no bull elk tag!! the last time I drew was when I was 15. I must be on the black list. I could have drawn 2 utah bull tags by now, in a premo unit. And its not like I put in for the best units, 50 - 12 years, 37-4 years,51 the last 10 years. does anyone have better luck I can put in with next year?????? best of luck, scott.

Same boat. Never have a drawn a bull tag in 37.. been putting in for 10 years.. some people have all the luck.

Only elk tag in this state was unlimited so never pulled a limited entry tag elk tag, antelope comes in with one in lifetime. Oh well archery attempt again.

Get your hunt on!!
tixs,lodging,for you
cruises,trips for her!
songdogtravel.com

after putting in every year for deer elk and antelope for the last 27 years, not to mention all the money i wasted on super tags..
i drew my first tag of any kind this year, an antelope tag..
SO I CAN FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!
it just chapp's my hyde to see folks draw the same hunts 2-3-4
and more times in less time than that..
there is no doubt in my mind that the idaho draw system is not on the level..
i know a guy that has hunted unit 40 elk for the last 7 years in a row some how he was getting landowner tags then last year he won a super hunt and now this year he drew it on the regular
draw..

I seem to go in spurts in the Draw game. Seems like I will draw a couple of good tags in a row, then go for a while and not draw any. Hope so any way, because I drew a dang good elk tag this year. So I hope I still got the mo-jo for next year.

I have no reason to believe that Idaho is anything but fair.. Your buddy obviously bought the landowner tags or was up to something fishy. Why could he not draw a super tag? and A regular tag? Sombody has to draw them right? might as well have been him as anybody else.

My Wife is almost always good in the draws (she drew and elk and a deer this year), but she puts in for hunts with decent odds and could care less if she draws or not.

In my opinion as least as far as Idaho goes, too many people think they have a right to hunt limited entry unit(s). They are set up that way for a reason. It is a lotery to see who gets a crack at hunting something special. If not then you DO have the right to go hunt any general unit(s).

As far a people saying they are wasting their money on the license... Well not exactly. You do have a license for Idaho and have the option to use it to the fullest extent, and I bet it actually helps your odds in the draw because some number of people are discuraged from applying for LE hunts for that reason alone. Imagine how many more people would apply for any specific hunt if it only cost a postage stamp to apply? talk a bout a long shot at a tag then. I wonder how many folks try their luck at all the "points" states or buy a point only and come on up to Idaho with their "wasted" license and hunt an OTC unit for a bull of any size. Not just spikes or cows. Heck if you want to you can come up on an OTC hunt in Spetember with any weapon! If you are an Archery hunter you can hunt almost any unit in the state with an OTC Tag from Aug 30 to Sept 30! and sometimes again for a few weeks in Dec. That sound pretty fair to me.

any way wish you luck in the next draw.

In the last 12 years I have drawn 7 tags, but here is the key none of those have been preimum tags. Most of those hunts have been middle of the road for trophy quality with odds that were better than terrible. I guess my point is, fair hunts have fair odds while the best hunts in the state...are just dang tuff to draw.

I have lousy luck too, but my best friend gets whatever he requests....almost every year. I actually have a cutomer who drew a goat tag at age 12; sheep age 13 and moose the following year.....3 for 3. That was a while back, but it didn't keep me from asking him to drop my application in the mail this year.......didn't work, but seemed worth a shot.

Steelheader,
I did a little research and here are the results.
Draw odds for the units you put in for for last years draw:
unit 50-16.4%
37-19.5%
51 early 9.1%, late 30%
So you are one unlucky dog, those are some reasomable odds. But cheer up you can still hunt OTC. And when you do finally draw a tag, just think how good it will feel!
In the last 10 years I have drawn 2 cow tags, 2 buck tags, 1 antelope tag, and 1 bull tag. I put in for hunts with reasonable odds of drawing and I hunt hard when I do draw a tag. Not that you are, but it cracks me up when people put in for hunts with 3-2% chance of drawing a tag, year after year. Then gripe that they never draw a tag. That just means that you have a 97-98% chance of not drawing that tag! The dude that is getting an antelered elk tag every year is definitely not drawing them because In Idaho you can only draw an antlered elk or deer tag every other year. Hang in there your luck is bound to change.
Its fair chase, or its foul!

thanks for the research idabigbuck. those odds have got a little worse over the years, and I dont see them getting any better. my son who just turned 15 drew a bull tag, and at 12 drew a 45 rifle buck tag, maybe I should put in together. I always put in by our self so we can better the odds of pulling a tag, works for him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom