260 Remington

P

Prism

So I've about got myself talked into a 260 for my next rifle.

Anybody out there shooting one?

It looks almost too good to be true on paper and on the ballistics program.

Yep. Caliber rocks and is under-rated. Do a search, we chewed the fat on the .260 in the past.

+1 M1Fan. it has a ton of good things going for it and the ballistics don't lie. If you handload it has a great upside to it. If you only shoot factory loads they are pretty scarce. Jim Carmichael was the one of the main reasons this cartridge wound up in Remingtons production lineup and it's a good one. The man knows a thing or two about guns and is one of the few gunwriters that can shoot to the accuracy potential of any firearm. All the hoopla about shortmags and Ultras kind of left it in their wake being a slo poke and all. But hey you don't have to be the fastest to be accurate and this cartridge has that going for it in spades.

Its almost as good as its parent case :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Prism,
My brother and i have a couple 260 Rems. It is a super round. I have been shooting it for a couple years. Great caliber. I have loaded the hornady 129 sst and they are real thumpers. 5 deer in five shots for my brother and I. None of those deer even took a step. i can't praise them enough. If i could i would purchase another one in a heart beat. I have a rem model 7 and my bro has a model 700 lss. They both flat out shoot. I would recommned this caliber to anyone. Its a good starter or even a great round for an adult. Lots great reloading data and slugs to choose from. It seems to shoot every pill i have thrown down the barrel.

The 129's were not shooting good enough accuracy wise for me. What powder were you using?

That little 100 gr. HSP is an eye opener.

Better buy 2,because your gonna be shooting it all the time.
It recoils like a 243 & kills like a 300 mag.
I shoot 130 bergers or TSX's.

I dont have a 260, but i do have a 6,5x55..my recommendation is to top it off with a 139 Scenar..wicked combo.

For the 120 weight range i have been using IMR 4064 max load. This has been quite accurate. For the 129's i have been using a charge of R19. This load is under max. Every gun shoots different. My next try will be IMR 4350. I am going to load up some 120 TTSX, 100 partitions and some 130 accubonds. i will let you know how they work out. R19 is one of favorite. It has been working great in the 260, 270 win and 270 WSM. Have fun shooting.

I'm loading mine with Win 243 brass,H4350 powder & 130 VLD Bergers,with fed 210 primers.2830 fps.
Also 120 tsx bullets,4350,fed 210 prmrs for 3000 fps.
RS

So far the little 260 has proved to be one of the most accurate and pleasant rounds to shoot that I've ever messed with. It shoots everything I feed it-most of it in itsy bitsy little groups. Was hoping to get it out to stretch it's legs a bit tomorrow, but it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate.

It's a heavy barrel custom. I like the caliber so much I'll probably end up with another in a lighter version down the road.

6.5's are magic, no matter the cartridge. Give the 130 Accubond a whirl, they shoot great in my 6.5x55.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-10 AT 09:53AM (MST)[p]Gotcha, you're saying it's a Ti takeoff, not that the stock is made of titanium.

Any of you 6.5 fans have any experience with the new savage in 6.5x284? What kind groups are they capable of?

Should have some first hand experience here in a few weeks. I haven't personally owned a savage in a few years and I'm excited to try the 6.5x284 out this fall.

I know I'm only goin to gain a few hundred fps and barrel life isn't the greatest, but it'll be easier than packin the current 260 I'm in love with. What a great little caliber the 260 is. It rings the steel pretty hard out to 900 so far.

I love mine in a model 7

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

I have a chance to pick up a .260 in a very nicely accurized Remington 1st generation Ti from the original owner. It is truly a sweet rifle that I'd like to own, and I only have one simple concern.

I would likely want to take this gem on one of the sheep/goat hunts that I have been building points so long for, and wonder what kind of killing distance I will be able to get out of it for these type critters.

I have been told that it is a good 300 yard deer gun, but I believe it can be loaded with the right bullet to extend that range for a consciensous shooter willing to wait for the right shot.

I have other lightweight rifles that can do the job, but would like to know what you guys think... can I make this little bugger work for me out to 500 yards? Have you experimented with the heavier bullets? I like Accubonds a lot... will the 130 or 140 do what I need? or should I attempt to go heavier?

Thanks for your imput, gentlemen.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-11 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]>I have a chance to pick
>up a .260 in a
>very nicely accurized Remington 1st
>generation Ti from the original
>owner. It is truly a
>sweet rifle that I'd like
>to own, and I only
>have one simple concern.
>
>I would likely want to take
>this gem on one of
>the sheep/goat hunts that I
>have been building points so
>long for, and wonder what
>kind of killing distance I
>will be able to get
>out of it for these
>type critters.
>
>I have been told that it
>is a good 300 yard
>deer gun, but I believe
>it can be loaded with
>the right bullet to extend
>that range for a consciensous
>shooter willing to wait for
>the right shot.
>
>I have other lightweight rifles that
>can do the job, but
>would like to know what
>you guys think... can I
>make this little bugger work
>for me out to 500
>yards? Have you experimented with
>the heavier bullets? I like
>Accubonds a lot... will the
>130 or 140 do what
>I need? or should I
>attempt to go heavier?
>
>Thanks for your imput, gentlemen.

If you're a handloader you can find bullets from .55-.61 BC..load them from 2800-2900 fps and you have a hell of a long range capable rifle as good or better downrange than a 300 WinMag

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-11 AT 05:47PM (MST)[p]If you decide you don't want that rifle let me know.

Great caliber.

Bucksnort -

I'm looking at a .615 BC on the 139 grain Lapua Scenar & .612 on the 140 Berger.

The Barnes TTSX was also recommended with it's .443 BC in the 120 grain. It should be more of a terminal performer, I think.

Prism -

I will certainly keep you informed Sir, but it is going to be hard for me to pass up, even though it is expensive!

I've had good luck with 130gr and 140gr accubonds. Shot a lot of 140gr bergers and 142gr smk on steel. For hunting I'd probably stick with the accubonds.

I think it's a better than average longrange medium game caliber. It's a great balance of an accurate easy to load for caliber, low recoil, high bc bullets, and just fun to shoot.

I believe Camp Perry was won last year with a 260 and Lapua is now making brass for them.

fine cartridge ! using a 140 grain accubond out past 250 yards or so is going to just punch a .264 hole with little to no expansion IMHO.... whats wrong with the 120 nosler bt ? buddy shoots it in his .260 and everything goes down hard with very little to no tracking. a 140 grainer will be sitting about a 1/4" from the primer unless you are shooting a singleshot or long action bolt. and for speeds? 2600? 2500? thats almost .30-30 velocity regardless of b.c. superiority

Mine may get some bighorn sheep blood on it this winter. I have a tag in CA and want to pack this over my 7mm RM but the 7mm shoots a lot better. Thinking about calling Berger to see what they say. Anyone else think the .260 is worthy of a once in a lifetime sheep hunt?

I lost out on the little Ti, as the fellow wouldn't budge on his elevated asking price but eventually sold it to someone else. I just honestly couldn't go that much on that small caliber...

It's worthy of your hunt, man. I feel I did learn enough to determine that much during my research on the cartridge. It seems that sheep aren't that difficult to kill, and the .260 loaded up right has done it and will continue to. It's efficient, but it ain't no 7MM Mag! That is one of my favorite calibers and just another reason I couldn't go all out for the .260. I just don't have the experience with the smaller stuff like I do the 7MM and 300 Magnums. I don't mind the recoil and/or slightly heavier weight and I know the extended range energy the big guns bring to the game.

I did pick up another first gen Ti in .270 to compliment my other one in 30.06. They are both in great shape and I got them both for what the accurized .260 woulda cost me. Haven't even shot the '06 but the .270 puts 140 gr Hornady Superformance SST factory stuff into nice tight groups. I prefer it over the .260.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom