.264 Win Mag vs. .257 Wby Mag

myj

The barrel on my .264 is shot out. I'm wondering whether to replace the barrel with the same caliber or go for the .257 Wby Mag. I use this rifle strictly for deer and antelope. What would you do?

Sixes if you ask me. They are both hard to find factory loads for, so its pretty much a handloaders deal for both. If you were hunting Elk also, I would say the .264 has an edge with 140 gr bullets, for Deer/Antelope, I really like the 115 in the .257. Totally personal preference.....

I have and love both of them. truth is the .264 can do anything the .257 can and more, the only plus I see for the .257 is a better bullet selection.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-06 AT 11:01AM (MST)[p]Both are fine cartridges but I'll throw another alternative at you why not consider the .270WBY mag. since you have to rebarrel. There are factory loadings for it outside WBY and it is a great cartridge as well. Just a little food for thought. If you are a hand loader it shouldn't matter but if you buy your ammo Federal Premium & others are a lot cheaper than Weatherby usually. It's also much easier to find when you need it in a pinch. Just another alternative for you to consider and then you really have a good bullet selection. Recoil is about the same and it doesn't give up much to either one ballistic's wise, in fact, you may gain a little in some instances.

Boskee,
You make an excellent point.
It would really be exactely what he
is looking for. It would split the
difference and be one heck of a round.
The 7mm Weathery would also make an excellent
choice, but for what you are indicating it will
used for, how could you beat the .270WB.
Let us know which route you go please.

Larry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom