27 Wilderness Hunters

mpaulson44

Hey Guys, I'm a New Mexico hunting guide new to Idaho (new to the forum as well). Looking to get in contact with some hardcore wilderness hunters. My Fianc? has taken an engineering job in Eagle which is the reason for the move. As of right now I'm still booked to guide in New Mexico from Mid August to the end of October but will be headed back up here until after Christmas then back to NM Deer, Ibex and Barbary Sheep seasons.

I've always been drawn to the wilderness areas ever since I can remember My Fianc? is a resident and really wants to hunt this year and being that 27 is a guaranteed deer hunt for the month of Nov, (when I can hunt with her) I've been looking into it pretty seriously. Everything I've read and heard about the Frank is somehow related to the nasty terrain and what not so having run that by her she seems to still be game for it. Were planning on making quite a few hiking trips into the wilderness during the summer before I have to leave again in order to familiarize ourselves with the terrain and environment . Any tips on effectively hunting the wilderness, or info on "trails of interest" would be greatly appreciated. Anyone from the Boise area that would be down to link up and grab an adult beverage to chit chat about the area would also be greatly appreciated also.

Hunting the Frank is my passion. I hunt the September elk rut. No better place on earth in my opinion.

If you're just going to hunt in November for deer, I think it's a great place but I won't be of much help there. It's basically a fly-in hunt. Past forums have a lot of good info. I'd probably hunt Indian Creek or Loon based on the info I've seen.

If you plan on hunting elk/deer in September sometime, I'd love to chat, PM or on the phone. Switchbacker knows a lot about the Frank. Talk to him if you can. I hunt the far west side of the unit and he's a little further east.

I appreciate the info! I'll be sure to get in contact. Idaho's new to me so I'm really looking forward to diving deeper into Idahos opportunities. Also lookin forward to connecting with more fellow outdoorsmen.

I have never ventured into the frank in November, that being said i would be really cautious. It does not take much to make that area dangerous in the winter. as mentioned above your best bet would be flying into one of the air strips along the river in lower elevations.

Just my 2 cents. good luck!!!

Hunted the Frank (27) about 10 years ago, clear and beautiful going in, next morning over a foot of snow on the ground. Be ready for anything.
PB

I was drawn to the Frank Church back in 82 because of the early opener (Sept 15th). I was 16 and went in solo. I was driving a 66 Chevy Impala with Bias ply tires. I drove into one of the mines to get farther into it. I had two flat tires and was stuck in there for 8 days. I opted to hike out on day 9. I woke up to a foot of snow. I hiked back up to the ridge where some old guys picked me up. We drove back down to my car to get more of my stuff. A Cougar had followed me for most of the way. They brought me back to Horseshoe Bend and my Mom came and got me. Went back a few days later with 5 spares and got the car. All the snow was gone by then. Been back a few times over the years. Other then the dates of the hunts I have not found it to be better hunting. Do you plan to guide in Idaho? Sounds like the dates are what is drawing you in. Don't over look other units in Idaho because they do not have designated Wilderness. There are places in Unit 39 that you will see less people then what you will see in the Frank. Good luck Idaho is great from the top, Kootenai CDA to the bottom, South Hills, and the East Yellow Stone, to the West Hells Canyon and every where in between.

DZ

What an experience that must have been DZ. I am really interested in trying to find guide opportunities here in Idaho or atleast start to introduce myself to the outfitter community with hopes that after this year I can land something local. Its a big commitment to travel all the way to NM to do what I love I'll really look into those areas. I'm excited about Idaho and happy that of all states other than New Mexixo its Idaho my fianc? chose.

>What an experience that must have
>been DZ. I am really
>interested in trying to find
>guide opportunities here in Idaho
>or atleast start to introduce
>myself to the outfitter community
>with hopes that after this
>year I can land something
>local. Its a big commitment
>to travel all the way
>to NM to do what
>I love I'll really look
>into those areas. I'm excited
>about Idaho and happy that
>of all states other than
>New Mexixo its Idaho my
>fianc? chose.

Finding guide work in Idaho is about as easy as calling an outfitter and asking to guide....most outfitters are always looking for seasoned guides, you just gotta make some calls or emails.

Yeah i figured. Its the same as NM. Ive just already gave my word to multiple outfitters in NM to book me so im looking at not this year but the following before I can work.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom