.270 For Blue Grouse? / & Some Pictures.

TheKnack

Very Active Member
This year did not turn out as well as expected but still had a great time in the hills.
Decided to post some of the photos to share with all of you.
I know the quality is not good but said what the heck and here they are.
Good luck to all in the hunt.
Best,
Jerry

.270 Grouse Picture
jerryknack102803-5.jpg

Hard to see the two dinks in the center right of this photo
jerryknack102803-1.jpg

Hidden water hole on a bench
jerryknack102803-2.jpg

View on the hike in
jerryknack102803-3.jpg

Finally in the bucks bedroom but nobody home.LOL
jerryknack102803-4.jpg

Looks like some nice country. Is it legal to shoot grouse in CO with a rifle? I wish it was here in Utah, that is the only time I ever see them.

Rut

RuttCrazed-
Yes, in Colorado you can use a rifle for Blue Grouse.
I shot the two above on my way out on the last day since my wife and I love to eat them.
Got to be real careful were your shooting the bird at and have a good backstop though. Or else you will end up with a cloud of feathers and not much else. LOL.
Best,
Jerry

Jerry, I LOVE THUMBHOLE STOCKS....Where did you get that one..I have a 270 model 721 and would love to put a thumbhole on it...

kingfish-
I glass bedded put on the stock myself on a Mauser barreled action.
It is a Bell & Carlson Premier Thumbhole Stock that I bought through midwayusa.com and fits like a glove.
With a target trigger also added I ended up with a .270 that shoots like a dream for less than half the cost of a custom rifle.
Unfortunately I checked the website and did not see any available for the model 721 you are looking for.
May want to try Bell & Carlsons website and see what you can find.
Good luck.
Best,
Jerry

Hey Jerry, great photos!

You're absolutely right about having a good backstop when using a highpower rifle, against any animal. I had a chance to shoot a blue grouse in Utah but 1) it was in a tree (backdrop was the sky) and 2) unfortunately, I only had my 30-06 (WAY too big, right?):)

Great pics, looks like a lot of the country I tramped thru in Utah for 6 days last week.

Nice looking country Jerry, sorry the deer were on vacation. I'm glad you were toting the .270, you can never have enough gun when an angry grouse turns on you.

Nice job on the blue grouse...I have killed a few blues with a 264 Win. Mag. It seems to kill them a little quicker than the 270.

Nice pics! Some good looking country there. Sorry the bigg'n didnt show up for the party last time out, but sounds like you had a good time anyway.

I Just wish I would have had a little more time/energy to go whack a few birdies after the elk hunt in CO. Plenty of grouse to be had out there... Oh well, pheasant season is coming up soon in KS as well as shooting some chukar my buddy pen raised this year. Supposed to be a banner pheasant crop this year in Toto land.

Was gonna use the ole .300 but figured the .270 could stop the charge of a angry Blue grouse.
Little suckers are vicious when they fly 30 feet up into the tree and give you the evil eye!
Could of shot one more since the rest of them just stood around and looked like they were gonna charge me. I got the heck out of there just in time. LMAO

Do not know what I am gonna do next year if I run into the (killer grouse) and I only have a one shot muzzleloader in my hand.
Just gives me the willy's thinking about it.LOL

You guy's are great! Needed the laugh.
Best of luck to you in all your hunts.
Jerry

Nice gun, grouse and country. Looks like some northern Colorado stuff that I was in recently. Too bad we didnt have the we are having now last week! 3rd season should be good!
Jeff

I found that a 100 gr muzzy at 20 yards is deadly on the really vicious grouse species of colorado. I wish they would bugle at 20 yards though and get you ready for elk instead of making that stupid clucking noise they make. It just doesn't do the vicious grouse justice. Gary

My dad shot a blue once with his 06'when he was out elk hunting. Aimed for his head, but needles to say he hit low, not much left of him aftre that.
Michael

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom