.270 for Moose

A

AntlerKing

I lucked out this year and drew a Moose tag. I have a .270 and 30.06. I have shot 8 deer and 7 spike elk with my 270 over the past 9 years. I was looking at getting a 300wsm, but after looking I'm now thinking of keeping the 270. I was looking at bullet bilistics the other night and see that 150g bullet out of the 270 and .06 have almost the same punch at 300-500 yards. I'm thinking of using my 270 for my Moose hunt, what are your guys thoughts? Most kills are about the shot placements, and with my 270 I've got that down. Thanks for the comments a head of time.
AntlerKing

Moose are huge animals, if you want a short track after the shot I would recommend at least a 300 win mag. I took my bull moose at 180 yards with a 180gr. nosler out of a 300 win mag. The bull dropped dead in its tracks. You are correct, bullet placement has everything to do with kills, so if you are very familar with your 270 then it is not a bad choice. Wish you luck and hope to see pics. Be prepared for a good workout getting him back to the truck.

Shoot what you are confortable with. I was trying to decide last year what to use, my .06 or my .270. I went with the .06 but the 2 I put in my moose would have been just as deadly with my .270. As you said, shot placement is more important. Mt moose went less than 20 yards.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

congrats what unit in what state. in utah the 3 moose i have helped down one myself. was two shots under 50 yards one at 35 which my brother took down with a 270 and the last at 150. in utah you'll be hunting the rut and can get close. it is all about shot placement. my moose which i wish i would have had my bow. was shot at about 50 yards with 7mm mag and still took two shots to drop it. he didn't go anywhere but still after i in the boiler he still just stood there. 2nd shot put him down. good luck.

Shot placement is all that matters and your 270 will do just fine.You dont need a big cannon to kill moose as long as you put it in the boiler room.

Get a quality bullet. I would sugest trying a 140 gr Win Fail Safe or a 150 gr Barnes TSX,both these are hard hitting bullets that mushroom perfect.

Good Luck.

I wouldn't hesitate to use my 270 on moose. Mine shoots 140 grain Barnes TSX's real good, so that's probably what I'd go with.

Your .270 will do fine if you shoot quality bullets like some others have suggested. I shot one Moose with a .270. It was on the Alaska Peninsula out of Port Heiden. He was a heck of a lot bigger than any shiras moose, and he only went about 15 yards before dropping. I had a broadside shot at about 20 yards and just kept shooting until he dropped. I was shooting 150 grain remington core-lokt bullets, and they did a super job.

Looking back on it, I wouldn't take a .270 out there again, way too many brown bears there, but I was young and dumb. The .270 was fine for the moose, but now I shoot a .338 and that would be better in grizzly/brownie country.

If you decide you need a .30 caliber, your .30-06 will do fine. I'd suggest shooting 180 or 200 grain bullets if you go with that. You don't need a .300 mag for this hunt if you have an '06.

My dqd shot his moose with his ole .270 and it was a one shot harvest.

shot placement no doubt is the key.

Robb

The 06 and the 270 are similar with a 150 grain bullet, but you can go with a much heavier bullet with the '06 (up to 220 grains). I would go with the heavier bullet if both rifles are equal.

Thanks for all the input on your past hunts. I will be Hunting Cache Valley in Northern Utah. It's a two part hunt, half in September and the other half in October. Most moose I've ran into it's not hard getting with-in a 100 yards or closer. I was looking at the Barnes bullet and the 150 sierra gameking BTSP and the 150g Nosler partition, I'm going to buy all three rounds and do some shooting and see what I come up with. Right now I've been shooting the trophy bonded bear claw 140g, it's sure kicked butt on my mule deer and the two elk I've shot with it. I guess I need to get back into reloading:) Thanks for all the comments.

Moose Antlers are King! Way to go.
I shot my Wyoming moose (44" bull)at 300 yds with a Barnes X from a 7mm Rem mag. He turned around and fell over.
I have to tell you though, I have since bought a 300WSM and I like it lots! You will have a great hunt---good luck!

If you are shooting 140 Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws,and they shoot good through your rifle then I would not change a thing.TBBC's are one of the best bullets on the market and are very heavy hitting,deep penatrating and hold there weight really well.

In my mind you are ready to go. :)

I was going to say just what muzzy125 said. 140 grain Bear Claws are just as good as any. Stick with those.

I shot a big Alakan-Yukon moose with .270 Win and 140g Swift A-Frames. First shot at 100 yars was slightly quartering to...recoverd the bullet from the opposite ham. This shot knocked the moose down, but he got back up. I shot twice more broadside and the bullets went thru. I think your .270 will be fine for a Shiras.

LAST EDITED ON May-04-07 AT 11:31PM (MST)[p]heck if you got a cache valley tag forget the 270 and pick up a bow. I wish i had shot mine with a bow. the bulls will be rutting during the hunt they always have on the ogden river hunts i been involved with. it's not like you wont get one it's a matter of how big of one you want to hold out for. good luck. just wondering how many points did you have i got real lucky and drew a buffalo on the henry's this year with only 6 or 7 points.

My dad years ago killed a shiras 48" in WY with a 25-06, nosler partition 100gr, 3 shots like all the other stories shot him and he just stood there. 15 yards later he was dead. 270 same thing only different, go with it IMHO. Bill

Save your time and money for something else. Since you seem to be already set with the tb's in the .270, use it. If you insist on experimenting, and that I understand, go with the NP's. Have a great time.

considering I've killed one with a 125 grain satellite broadhead, and one with a 125 Magnus stinger, I think you can probably kill one with a 270 if you can hit the boiler room. Personally I like the 06, but thats preference. I like the 180 grain bullet better than the fast 150's. I can't say I'd rather take one or the other in the chest though. Just shoot straight and make sure you don't try one of those big 300-500 yard shots and you will be OK

I lucked out with it only being my 7th year putting in. I was looking at my bow, but I'm going to stick with the rifle. As far as bull size....it's going to be big. I will have many eyes in the fields come August-September, big is the only way to go. Any of you boys in Northern Utah feel free to drop me emails: [email protected]

Thanks for all the GREAT info.
AntlerKing

Don't give up on the bow just yet! I drew a shiras tag in Wyoming in 2002 and shot that bull with a bow. It was great fun that way, and would have been very anticlimatic with a rifle. BUT, if you have to use the gun, that .270 will work fine.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom