270 grain and type

Powder

I've got a Remington 270 that I'm taking elk hunting for the first time. What grain and type of bullet (not brand) would you suggest?

Thanks!

You want a bullet that will hold together and give you deep penitration. With that 270 a 140gr. bullet is about the max weight you will have available. The Nosler Partition or Accubond bullets preform well. Choose a bullet that will give you best effectincy for longer range flight as well as knockdown power. Read up on various bullets then choose because everyone has their favorites. With that 270 being a shorter range gun. Go for a well placed shot with a good bullet in the kill zone and you will drop them. Plenty of elk have been killed with smaller calibers and that is because those guys can shoot and know when to take a shot or pass so they don't just cripple and lose an animal.

))))-------->

My 270 likes 130 bullets the best and a partition will work fine. If it shoots a 150 bullet well that would work just fine too. I will be carrying a 130 bullet in my rifle this fall in Co for elk.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Wow, I'm surprised at how many times I've heard 130 or 140 grain bullets for elk. I would have assumed the answer would have been 150's. I guess that's why I asked the question.

Why do these lighter weights work better? I'm not up on the ballistic charts and interpretations like I should be. That's why I rely on you guys!

I would prefer the 150 for elk, though the 140 will be about the same. at 270 velocity about any quality bullet in 150 grain is going to be fine. the 270 is not a long range elk rifle so don't worry about 500 yard ballistics or bullet performance.

Powder: I agree with sixpack not that much difference in the 140gr. or 150 gr. The 140gr. will be a little faster and drop a little less at 300 yds.... The 130gr. will drop less and be even faster. So you need to choose and sight in for the ranges and terrain you will be hunting. If your hunting timber country and will likely have close shots a heavy bullet will always be best. But if your hunting more open country with a possible longer shot then faster bullets can have an advantage because if an elk moves as you make the shot sometime inches count in shot placement. That sometimes can be the difference in taking an animal or just wounding it.

As far as the small calibers and bullets. Remember, a good bullet is the key as well as a good shot. If we can kill and an elk with an arrow you sure can kill that elk with any of those grain bullets. A lung shot or a well placed shot in the vitals will put'm down.

Good Hunt'n and bring back a big one :)

))))------->

The key is bullet placement and a good bullet. My gun is more accurate with the 130 and I have several friends who only use 130 and some others who swear by the 150 grain bullet I am sure a good 140 grain bullet will work as well.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

go and shoot a few different loads and see what your rifle likes. a bonded bullet (accubond, scirocco, interbond) or a good partition style (nosler partition, swift a frame) in any weight will be enough so shoot what shoots best for you and gives you the most predictable results. if youre confident in your load then hunt with it. try them all and see what is gonna be best out of your gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom