270 or 7mm-08

nmelkman

Which would you guys choose? Just curious mostly but i am looking at getting a 7mm-08 as i like them alot but i have a 270 and don't have any complaints about it. Just curious on your guys opinion

I think it honestly comes down to a few things.

There is very little difference in the two cartridges.

Both will kill anything from Antelope to Elk. Yotes and prairie dogs.

Just ask yourself,

Do you prefer a long action or a short action?
Do you need/want another toy for the gun rack?
Is the price right?

The 270 didn't get as popular as it is by accident.

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-12 AT 04:25PM (MST)[p]Short Action or Long Action??? Really about the only difference, that and if you don't reload they kind of hose you on the cost of ammo for a 7mm-08.

But since you asked, I'd go 7mm-08 which has become probably my favorite caliber for a do it all rifle. You can build a shorter overall rifle with the 7mm-08 so makes a nice Mtn Rifle. Plus it just kills stuff. I have 2 and am considering building another:)
Good luck, both good choices.

I have two of each and killed everything from moose, elk, mt goats, bighorn sheep to deer and antelope. Both are awesome especially with reloads. One of my 7mm-08 is in a Kimber Montana and is extemely light for backpack hunting.Fifteen years ago 7mm-08 ammo was harder to find if you forgot to pack it but its every where now. You can't go wrong with either.

I got my wife a Savage Weather Warrior in 7mm-08 a few years ago. Great choice. Light, minimal recoil, I love the trigger and it's accurate. She's taken antelope and elk with it. She's jinxed on deer.

I load 140 gr Barnes TSXs for elk and Hornady 139 gr. SSTs for deer and antelope. That gun has shot everything I've tried very well.

With the loads they have for it now the 7mm-08 is better than when I first started hunting with it some 20 years ago. I can't wait for my Dad to bring mine out to me, I miss shooting it.
WVBOWAK

The recoil should be close to the parent cartridges these rounds are made from. I don't think there is much difference of recoil between them.
WVBOWAK

interesting thread because my 10 (almost 11) year old daughter just passed hunter safety and I am looking for a rifle for her...i am for all intents and purposes set on the 7mm-08 however i was curious (even moreso now after reading this thread) about the recoil from the .270 with the reduced recoil rounds available...would the .270 with these reduced recoil rounds be a good choice for an 11 year old?

If you were set on the 7mm-08 go for it. My daughter started at 10 with a 243 for deer and bear. I think she was 12 when she used my 7mm-08 for deer. She was tall for age but skinny. She had no issues with it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom