270 weatherby mag

W

Warren

I'm considering buying a .270 Weatherby Magnum in an Accumark. I have found one new that is a lefty and I have heard that Weatherby is not making lefties this year. What are some thoughts on this model and the round? Mainly for deer, but also for a possible elk or sheep hunt.

I dont know too much about the Accumark but I know a fair bit about the .270 Weatherby as most of my family uses it. It kills coues deer, elk and antelopes and desert sheep dead. It is ultra flat with the right bullet and load. A wide range of bullets are available from 110 grain for things like coues deer and javelina to 150 grain round noses for punching through elk or bears. If you reload or know someone who will you should absolutely love it. The downside is ammo is expensive and even brass is expensive compared to other calibers. I thought a good long time about getting one but opted for a .300 Weatherby instead and the only reason why is beacuse every Wal-Mart and gunstore around here has .300 ammo and that is not the case with .270 Weatherby ammo. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Bret M.

I believe the Accumark is the best of the Weatherbys. It has the semi heavy barrel but they flute it to reduce weight. I have one (for sale now) in .340wby and it was amazingly accurate. I honestly think they are one the best factory rifles out there. If you like it and it fits you I would snatch it up because I do think that they are no longer making lefties..As for the .270wby, I've always liked that caliber, but don't have any experience with it. Good luck

I just picked up a weatherby ultra lightweight in .270 weatherby. I topped it w/a 4.5 x 14 Leupold w/Talley rings and bases.So far I have only shot 140 nosler ballistic tips (factory) and the gun shoots like a dream.Less then 1" at 200 yards off the bench.I have heard that the accumark is a better shooter and if thats the case the rifle your considering should be one hell of a weapon!! I picked the ultra lightweight just for the weight factor as I am planning a sheep hunt for 05'. Best of luck w/your choice!!

Woodzy!
I shoot the same in .257! My best is under 3/4" at 250
yrds on a rest! Shooting Barnes "X" 115 Grain! I want to
start to reload them! I take alot of Deer,Antelope even a large
Black Bear with it! Will not hunt ELK though!
JACK (The scope is an Leupold LPS 2.5X10)

I did purchase the 270 Weatherby mag in left hand. Topped it off with a Vari x III 3.5-10. Have not been to the range yet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom