270 win 130 grain recommendation for elk

Macdad

I shoot a savage 111 in 270. The gun only likes 130 grain ammo. Currently only shooting core locks. What is some ammu y’all recommended for elk. This is for a 2022 Wyoming elk hunt .

hornkiller

Long Time Member
My .270 loves 130 grain soft points
Elk not so much!

Screenshot_20210820-081058_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210820-081828_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210820-082049_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210820-082326_Gallery.jpg

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
My daughters shoot 270"s and have always done well with Barnes 130 grain pills on elk ! I think with a solid copper bullet you can get better performance with a little lighter bullet. Plus I love the smell of copper in the morning ! :)
Well I knew it wasn't Coffee you were smellin in the morning!

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
The "father of the 270"( Jack O'Connor) touted the 130g Nosler Partition for deer but I recall he preferred the 150g for elk.
Over the years, I have shot a few bulls with the 130g Nosler, but I also switched to the 130g Barnes ttsx in my 270 WSM.
A bull elk is a big animal and for me, well constructed bullets are a must in case you smack a shoulder.
You still have a year to find the right medicine.
Good luck

monsterMullet

The kids have killed 4 elk with the 130 gr Hornady sp and the damage was devastating. All loads were downloaded to 2750fps and the shots were from 200-300 yds.

Cthunter73

I usually use 130gr core locks in my 270 for deer but went to wyoming last year with winchester expedition long range 150gr. They shot close enough to the 130s that I decided to go with heavier bullet.. Got my 1st elk at 352yds he ran 50yds and dropped.

doz

Had the same gun. Federal nosler partitions ran great in 130 or 150 just factory loads.

Put down a cow elk no problem with a 150gr.

monsterMullet

I don't think you can go wrong with just about anything that shoots well in your rifle. I would stay away from SST's or really light jacketed bullets. I have four 270 WIN rifles and two 270 WSMs and they shoot extremely well with Hornady 140 gr BTSP and even better with the Accubond 140 gr bullets. Any velocity. I would be very confident with elk with what shoots good in your rifle.

swampokie

If ur impact exceeds 3000 fps stay away from the beloved accubond. It’s Probly a good bullet at moderate to high velocity but a white tipped sst at 3000 fps. I shot a bear with a 110 accubond out of a 257 weatherby at 50 yds and the fragmentation woulda made a vmax jealous. Took the spine out and killed quick but not good with higher velocity impacts Probly worse on shoulder blade of an elk. I second the nosler partition but the 130 grain shroom has killed a ton of elk I also like the Norma oryx The eldx is all the rage at the moment but I saw a jacket only under the hide of a blonde boar fired from a 6.5 posermoor this weekend and a 180 corelokt from a 308 under the hide of his cinnamon buddy. Looked like the picture of the bullet on the box. Poison old uncool fuddy duddy poison. I’m not saying the partition or others aren’t better choices for elk but If the 130 green and yeller is ur guns partner The why not dance with her

monsterMullet

Shot a NM oryx with the 145gr ELDX at 350yds with the 270WIN and not impressed with the bullets performance. Not much penetration and lots of fragmentation. First shot was a heart shot and second shot was a neck shot and it dropped like a sack of bricks. The guy I was hunting with shot his with a 3oo6 TTSX 180 gr and they didn't seem to do much to his oryx. His shots were about 200yds and well placed just took a lot of bullets to put the thing down. My bull was 36" and his was 34".

GoHigher

I have never bothered buying expensive bullets. 130 gr and 150 gr Winchester Extreme Points and Power Points are accurate out of my .270 and have always done the trick downing elk. Accuracy and practice trumps the price of the ammo, in my opinion.

swampokie

Those pretty much sum it up
Solid copper ttsx or trophy copper
maybe Norma oryx or npartition. A frame All day long. I think the accubonds and the sst will hold together better than most light jacket cup and cores but for hyper velocity rifles like 257 2506 maybe even a 270 pushing a 130 grain I’ll always shoot solid copper from now on. I try to tell that story to the accubond army and they don’t wanna hear it. They tell me at 100 yds it will hold together but I’m not sure the bear woulda let me call timeout to pace back 50 yds. The accubond like the sst is a fantastic bullet but it is not better than copper at 3000 impact or above. The copper also have the downside of carrying their energy through the animal into the ground without a solid area of impact. This is where the corelokt shines is energy delivery below 2800 impact. Pick ur poison. The accubond has much better bc than corelokt or interlock but for my rifles that are in hand for under 300 yd shot those two will do just fine. Sometimes for non hand loaders the partition oryx and thick jacketed bullets may be hard to find in factory ammo. Up until now the good ole green and yeller has been there for us on the shelf But now who knows.

Last edited:

hornkiller

Long Time Member
I've witnessed several animals deer/elk get wounded and never recovered from a .300 2 different lobbing sissy 30.06 and a 7mm all shooting core lokts I will take a hard pass on them!

badlander

Nobody has mentioned the tipped trophy bonded bullet.

I’ve yet to shoot an elk with it, but I’ve seen in go stern to stem and front corner to back corner thru a few mule deer out of my 270wsm and hold up well. Never recovered one on a broadside shot on a deer and will be shooting either the .277 or .308 version of it at elk this fall (hopefully).

monsterMullet

Nobody has mentioned the tipped trophy bonded bullet.

I’ve yet to shoot an elk with it, but I’ve seen in go stern to stem and front corner to back corner thru a few mule deer out of my 270wsm and hold up well. Never recovered one on a broadside shot on a deer and will be shooting either the .277 or .308 version of it at elk this fall (hopefully).
Woah that sounds pretty good. What bullet is used in these?

txhunter58

Long Time Member
If you can find them!!!???

I have been trying to find 160 gr accubond ammunition for my 7mm mag
And can’t find them anywhere at any price. I don’t reload.

Which is why I am considering 270 with 130 gr gmx bullets for my elk/ mile deer hunt this fall. They are a copper alloy and pretty close to the TTSX bullets. They open well down to 2000 FPS and they will exceed that out to 400 yards. Won’t shoot beyond that with that size bullet

Last edited:

monsterMullet

Took a friend out on a oryx hunt 4 years ago and wasn't impressed with the TTSX performance with a 3006. I have stayed away from them since that hunt. My kids have killed 4 elk with the 270WIN with some cheap Hornady 130gr SP bullets and they worked well. I try to shoot the 140 gr Hornady or Accubonds when hunting but I don't think it matters much as long as you hit vitals.

txhunter58

Long Time Member
All the better bullets invented in the last 20 years are offshoots of the original: Nosler partition.

Solid rear base and front section that is either softer or has some form of hollow point that opens up on impact. The trophy bonded tip is one of the best of that basic design.

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Did a search on ammoseek for any caliber any grain and company with a trophy bonded tip. This is all I came up with. WOW. They are proud of them!
607D276F-5DAC-405C-93AA-C78271637F23.png

badlander

That’s not a typical price. That’s someone price gouging. I typically pay ~$40 for a factory box of 270wsm but right now, that is definitely a “when you can find them” situation.

monsterMullet

I reload so I don't buy factory ammo but I haven't seen 270wsm ammo in a long while. I am still able to buy bullets fairly often.

badlander

I reload so I don't buy factory ammo but I haven't seen 270wsm ammo in a long while. I am still able to buy bullets fairly often.
If you’re not picky about what you get it’s available.

I started to reload too because I got sick of having to buy something I didn’t want just because it was all I could get.

tjbowser

My daught just shoot her elk with a 120 grain Barnes Vortex out of a 7mm-08. I was a little worried about the bullet weight, but with the ammo shortage, it was what we had available. **** was inside of 50 yards, but definitely did is job. Elk went about 30 feet before pulling up. I would be confident using it again at much further range.

My daughters shoot 270"s and have always done well with Barnes 130 grain pills on elk ! I think with a solid copper bullet you can get better performance with a little lighter bullet. Plus I love the smell of copper in the morning ! :)
My wifes .270wsm loves the Barnes LRX 129 grain and we have experienced awesome terminal ballistics on big game.

Old Cowboy

I've witnessed several animals deer/elk get wounded and never recovered from a .300 2 different lobbing sissy 30.06 and a 7mm all shooting core lokts I will take a hard pass on them!
Not sure just how many several is but I think maybe you are blaming the bullet for some bad shooting. I have shot a hell of a lot of deer and elk and never had problems with Remington core-locks.

hornkiller

Long Time Member
Not sure just how many several is but I think maybe you are blaming the bullet for some bad shooting. I have shot a hell of a lot of deer and elk and never had problems with Remington core-locks.
Could be some bad shooting. I've personally never shot them just from what I've seen them do!

txhunter58

Long Time Member
On whitetails, I don’t think you can get a more reliable and reasonably priced bullet. If I do my job, I have never seen them fail. But on an elk I want something more substantial. Their bones are BIG. I would not feel good about using a 130 grain core-lok on an elk. If you miss all the bones and put it thru the heart or lungs it will work fine. But if not, I want something tougher

Homer

Long Time Member
If ur impact exceeds 3000 fps stay away from the beloved accubond. It’s Probly a good bullet at moderate to high velocity but a white tipped sst at 3000 fps. I shot a bear with a 110 accubond out of a 257 weatherby at 50 yds and the fragmentation woulda made a vmax jealous. Took the spine out and killed quick but not good with higher velocity impacts Probly worse on shoulder blade of an elk. I second the nosler partition but the 130 grain shroom has killed a ton of elk I also like the Norma oryx The eldx is all the rage at the moment but I saw a jacket only under the hide of a blonde boar fired from a 6.5 posermoor this weekend and a 180 corelokt from a 308 under the hide of his cinnamon buddy. Looked like the picture of the bullet on the box. Poison old uncool fuddy duddy poison. I’m not saying the partition or others aren’t better choices for elk but If the 130 green and yeller is ur guns partner The why not dance with her
that speed would be REALLY close.....

Rie bread

oh man it’s a bone yard there, i’m in cali though… sportsman’s warehouse. i would call ahead to check before hand

elks96

Very Active Member
Honestly I use either the core lock or the hornady interlocks. I prefer the interlocks, but have had equally good results with both. It is all we shoot everything with...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom