270 wsm really that much better than 270 win?

RidgeRebel

I am in the market for a new deer and elk rifle. I was considering the 270 wsm but looking at load data for both the 270 win and the 270wsm. There only seems to be about 100fps gain. Is the 100 fps really worth the extra recoil and cost? I am wanting a flat shooting lighter recoil rifle for deer and elk if you guys have better ideas?

Not sure of which data you have been reading or how conservative it is but yes, to me having both, it is worth having the WSM.

My 270WSM handload is pushing the Accubond 140 gr bullets at 3280 FPS. I believe a 270 Winchester might push the same 140 gr bullet around 3000 FPS.

As far as the cost, is a dollar more a bullet for a game animal taking hunting rifle too expensive? The recoil in both rifles is very much the same. You may even notice different recoil more by switching types and weights of rifles that you would the cartridges themselves.

All said and done, buy what you want. Nobody is twisting your arm here. If you just want a 270 Winny, nothing the matter with that.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Zigger, drop in more often or double check your current info before you post something so outdated. Many here have the 270WSM and have reported NO feeding problems and i have had NO feeding problems. How can the 270 Win "always feed better" than perfect?

People hear bad about something that they don't have, might have happened years ago, yet they won't ever forget it. I wonder why that is?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON May-21-13 AT 09:12PM (MST)[p]I've got a Winny (or two) and don't feel undergunned. I push a 130 grain bullet at 3100 fps. 150s are about 2900. Don't know if I could push the 150s any further, I stopped there cause that is plenty fast and the load shot well.

If you reload the cost of ammo will be the same. If you don't, the WSM will cost more to shoot. Nobody cares about putting an extra buck into hunting ammo. But, you won't find 270 WSM ammo on sale for 15 buck a box either. Plinking will set you back more.

The feeding problems that have been referred to have been sorted out. A reliable rifle should feed all different rounds well. Having said that, nothing feeds as smoothly as my 300 H&H, which has tapered sides designed to reliably feed for dangerous game. Of course it was designed 100 years ago and rifles have evolved. WSMs are about the opposite of a tapered cartridge. Does it matter? I doubt it. Unless you plan on going to Africa.

Winny has tons of history. Jack's rifle vs "new and improved." The WSM has a little more punch and a little less character (just kidding). Its a different round.

I bought a Winchester fwt mod 70 in 270 wsm in it's first year of production. After a pile of animals I am still waiting for feeding problems. I also own a pre-64 mod 70 fwt 270 win and a Ruger number one in 270 win and love them all.

They are both excellent cartridges, both will get the job done. I get about 350 fps more from my wsm over my std 270 all are outstandingly accurate but I do find myself using my wsm far more than my others for whatever reason.

Definitely the WSM! It makes 200fps faster than my win. I think thats worth it. I sorta agree with zig on the feeding if you own a Kimber 8400! Kimber dosen't know what Im talking about, they act like Im the first they've ever heard about a feeding problem. All my 270 wins feed like butter.

Koyote

Nothing wrong with the 270 Win, I feel the WSM is better. Is it any better? Im sure the deer or whatever getting hit in the chest with either cant really tell the differnce.

I too have a Kimber, feeds OK but not nearly as smooth as the 270 Win's I have.

I do like the option towards shorter actions in the WSM cases.

I had a 270 Win earlier and I thought it was a great round, but I absolutely love my Tikka 270 WSM. It flat out shoots! I load my own ammo so price of shooting really isn't much of an issue. The Tikka feeds really well and I've never had any issues while racking the bolt fast.

The WSM has a huge advantage in that it allows you to push heavier bullets with better BC at velocities similar to what the old reliable win can push the 130gr. Power is good. The case is well designed and feeds fine. I have several rifles chambered in Ackley Improved cartridges and they feed flawlessly as well with a 40 degree shoulder. While you can't go wrong either way, in my opinion, the WSM really is "that much better".----SS

I have a 270wsm and it been my new favorite gun for a few years now. I owned a ton of calibers some Weatherby and some standard as well as the regular magnums and this is just a great around gun.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peat's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

Another option would be to step up to a 7mm Rem. mag,or 7mm WSM. These two allow you to step up to heavier bullets. I really like the 160 to 168 grain bullets. The 270 WSM and the 7mm are all great.

Bill

Yes and no.

Is your significant other impressed by a bigger gun? Are you of the opinion that it will increase their libido? If so, by all means yes.

On the other hand, if they are concerned about ballistics, availability, price of ammo and other factors from the "real" world...no.

I shoot a .270. So, my basis may be skewed. I've only shot 4 elk w/it, so I am by no means an expert. But, they all fell over, pretty much DRT. I've never really been impressed by the 7RM...except for the fact that I am impressed by its recoil. It is a rival caliber to my .270 and what you get in fps is not significant enough to warrant the recoil...IMHO.

Additionally, there are those out there that would tell you that a .270 is marginal for elk and that "real" elk calibers start at .338. I tend to agree w/that. The .270 is an excellent deer, sheep, goat and antelope caliber and a just an adequete/viable elk caliber. If elk is a major consideration to you, then you need to fling more lead as it doesn't have the shock and margin for error that other BIGGER calibers do (now, if you are of the habit of hitting w/in about 2" of where you are aiming, then disregard that as the .270 is "Heap Big Medicine").

So, my answer is, get the Winnie and if you really have the urge to step up to a bigger caliber., get his father, the '06.

John 14:6

You can fit in a extra bullet or two on the .270 win, that is aways nice. 280 ackley does everything a 270wsm can do and gives you an extra bullet, just dont lose or forget your ammo while hunting. The 270 win can be bought anywhere. I aways have a .270 win. as a backup when avaliable. All are great guns.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom