2B Buck Down.....

wapitiwhistler

2385screen_shot_2012-11-01_at_10.05.38_am.jpg

3708screen_shot_2012-11-01_at_10.06.59_am.jpg

1350screen_shot_2012-11-01_at_10.08.35_am.jpg

Well after five days of hard hunting, countless hours behind the glass and miles of wear and tear on the boots(my knees as well) I was able to make it happen. It was pretty frustrating to say the least. But like in anything in life you only fail when you decide to give up. I was so discouraged and down on my luck and my inabilities to find a big mature buck that this "famed" unit is known for I was ready to fold my hand. After a much needed pep talk from my wife and two kids I decided I better give it one last go on the last day. I had what I thought glassed every deer in the area and covered every canyon I could find. The last morning as I woke up I read a text that my good buddy NMELKTROUT had sent me "keep the faith brother" I decided to hunt a canyon that I hunted opening morning and hadn't been back to since. I hiked to my lookout and began glassing the bottom of the canyon. I imediately picked out some deer milling around in the tall grass just below me. There was 5 or 6 does and a small 3x3 that were feeding through the canyon floor pretty content. I was watching the little buck(wishing he was 2 years older) when I noticed his carefree demeanor turned to that of a nervous 5th grader being approached by the 7th grade bully. His head swung back and his eyes were now fixated on something more important then the tall lush grass. I swung my binos in the same direction and caught glimpse of the Bully that was looking for some lunch money. I could tell instantly he was a shooter and hurried and got set for the shot. As he walked out into the clearing I could see the Big Buck lip curling like he had more then lunch money on his mind...well I never gave him the opportunity to take the lunch money or steal his girlfriend. One shot at 230 yds and it was over.....We only fail when we give up and always remember "keep the faith brother"

He's not a giant by any means but I couldn't be prouder. He is 28 wide 21 tall and if his back forks didn't putter out he would be my biggest muley...now i need to convince my wife I need to get him mounted.

Best buck I have seen out of 2B this year. Weather was your enemy, very nice buck. Is that what Cody's beard is gonna look like when it finally grows out. :)

Congrats on the buck!! Great story to read before heading up there tomorrow for the third hunt. I'll have to remember to "keep the faith". Again good job on the great buck.

Congrats again, buddy. Can't believe how hard you hit it on that hunt. We had one hell of a season and I only wish I could have been there...

Paul, wapitiwhistler a/k/a Casey is known as "werewolf" in our hunting camps not only for his beard, but his snoring skills! Maybe someday I'll have a beard of that caliber!

-Cody

http://themeateater.com/
www.streamflies.com

Good job warewolfwhistler!

You put in some time this year, helped out other friends and absolutely deserve this buck.

Looking forward to future hunts buddy!

And, Cody is right...he snores like a donkey.

I don't think you'll have any problems convincing her. He will make a beautiful mount. Congrats.

Eldorado

Congrats on a beatuiful buck! Tough year up there I hear you have the biggest buck I've seen so far. My buddy who lives in Aztec killed a fork yesterday afternoon up at the Rosa.Said he saw alot of deer and alot of forks....I still wished Ihad that tag...Again congrats and thanx for sharin...

Good Buck,Local bucks are hard to find, with no snow moving the Colorado bucks in,He's a keeper in my mind. I ate tag soup last time I was in 2B.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

We hunted the north end of 2B on Saturday and Sunday. My co-worker had a tag and I was along for the ride. Although there hasnt been any weather to speak of, the deer were definitely on the move. We were seeing 100+ deer both days and probably passed up 10-15 small bucks throughout the weekend. Since we had to cut the hunt short on Sunday, he decided he would try and take a buck to fill his freezer. Well as it turned out, we ended up seeing the nicest buck we saw all weekend on our hike out back to the truck. He was a nice tall 4x4 with real deep forks but not very wide, probably 22-24 wide. The buck didnt give him much time at all to squeeze one off and I think he ended up shooting under him at about 250 yards.

All in all it was a great learning experience, I thought that there had to be some real bad weather to get the deer moving but that was not the case. The deer were on the move nearly all day even when it was 65 degrees out. However, I think that most of the big mature bucks will hang up high as long as possible until the rut gets full swing and the does are coming into season. I sure wish that there was a 4th season rifle hunt.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-12 AT 12:15PM (MST)[p]Great buck. Well earned.

We got back last night. 5 full days of hunting 2B. We hunted all over the unit and covered many miles- high on the middle mesa, south of 64, west in the BLM and east along the Jicarilla. The only mature buck we saw was Friday before the season started.

Warm weather and blue skies made it a real challenge.

My buddy ended up shooting a young 3x3 and I missed a young 3x4 and passed on several other opportunities at little forkies.

There were lots of forkies tagged on Caracas Mesa and I heard of one 200" buck coming out of the NE end of the unit.

Even some private land hunters south of 64 said it was like nothing they had seen before- no deer.

I'll definitely be willing to put in again for the hunt and hope for colder weather the next time around.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom