2b deer

Huntmaster

Just found out we drew 2b for deer, never hunted there before. any of you have recommendations for a guide, and any pictures of the quality that is there we be great to see, thanks.

2B 2006 2nd Rifle (standing with the buck in the next picture, boom boom, brother and I double)
196cabin_deer3.jpg

2B 2006 2nd Rifle
5298cabin_deer2.jpg

Dad's 2009
9884papa_joe_and_me.jpg

2010 2nd Rifle
2042010_deer_hunt_4.jpg

2B Sheds from last year
3992big_sheds.jpg

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Man, those are nice. I just drew 2B 2nd rifle, I hope it's better than the muzzle loader hunt I went on there last year. I only saw four bucks. The biggest was about a 20 inch wide 4x4.

Teryn, those are some awesome deer. I hope 2b will be able to break my curse of the deer hunt. Around 10 deer hunts and have yet to kill one. Maybe this is the year.

I have drawn the first hunt for deer in 2B. Does anybody have any suggestions on where I should start my scouting? I would assume that the first hunt, Oct 22-26 will be warm and dry. During this time of the year will most of the deer be in the NF or BLM?

Looks like that is the unit, as my Wyoming buddy got an email yesterday afternoon that he drew the 11/5-11/9 rifle tag there. With the other hunts in AZ and Wyoming for deer and elk that we are already planning and working on I would appreciate any help on 2b also. This tag came as a big surprise to John and it was on his second choice to boot. Thanks in advance for anything anyone can offer up! Anybody needing help for Wyoming give a shout!

looks like you know what you are doing there, did you draw the tag this year also. i have maps coming in the mail and will start doing homework. congrats on the bucks.

The early hunts mostly suck in 2b, unless you do a ton of scouting. You are basically hunting resident deer(very few) in the unit until snow in CO. pushes them south. Pray for early snow!

Nope, I haven't drawn it since '06 but have been able to go help someone out up there almost every year.

The resident herd has some bruisers in it, but they do require a lot of scouting. By no means would I say that the early hunts suck though.

Terynitup,
The early season in 2b is nothing compared to late season, not even worth talking about

That is unless you are one of those gas guys(or know one of the hundred) that drive the unit every day. Those guys are doing a 100 miles worth of scouting a day at work and getting paid for it! LOL

+1 on what JR posted, Those gasfield workers could be your best friends.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Both bucks are sweet SD, nice work!

JR, I would agree that the last rifle hunt and the Jan archery are the two best, but I would still say the early hunts are no slouch either. SD just showed us that with those two deer. The big 2010 deer we killed was 2nd rifle, 11:30 and about 65 degrees.

Yea Man, Nice Deer!

I know exactly what you mean Teryn, and agree.

Its just a message I am trying to get across to the Non-residents. Those bucks are hard to find in 2b without a ton of scouting! A guy could walk miles in the wrong area without a fresh track during the early season.

thanks for the insight on possibilities in the area. I have hunted Mulies all my life, getting tougher and tougher to draw a tag in any state anymore. In Utah now we have a tough time even getting a general tag. So you have to brach out to even hunt. My dad and I just enjoy checking out new country. He has taken 3 buck over 200 an a few over 180. My best is just over 190 but have taken 5 others over 180. But we just enjoy seeing new country. If either of you that have hunted 2b are bored and want to hunt dunring the Oct 22-26 dates let me know.:) thanks for sending pics.

Troutbum and I went out this weekend to find a few sheds, here a few that are worth showing. Front middle is a good buck.

5822dsci0474.jpg

5034dsci0473.jpg

SD post a pic of your big buck! here is one from 99' lots of walking, few deer but you never know when the biggest deer of your life will step out!

3068ryan_99_deer.jpg

sorry for the lesser quality, had to take a pic of the pic on my desk.

those are some awesome pics guys. I cant wait to get up there in Nov and bring my deer bad luck to an end. Thanks for sharing the pics and getting the blood flowing.

nice buck and from the background i would say that is somewhere on the northeast side of American mesa right... south facing slopes on cold mornings= Big Bucks

no guiding, sdmuleybuck and I have managed some decent deer out of 2b and 2C, its strickly resident deer that we hunt for. You can't rely on the weather when you have a tag like this you have to hunt hard. the buck my brother killed was in the same spot he hunted a few days, the 3rd day the buck made the mistake and showed himself. Your not likely to kill these bucks from your truck, but they do hang near roads, as they are everywhere, walking rims and having hunting partners push benches to you while you wait can be deadly.

from what i understand most of the hunters will be on the colorado border waiting for the deer to cross, is this true? have you ever seen the deer migrate in this unit during the first hunt oct. 22 ish?

Thanks for all your thoughts and pictures posted. We should have fun seeing new country if nothing else. Can anyone tell me what roads will be closed off when the hunt starts and at what point?

>Thanks for all your thoughts and
>pictures posted. We should
>have fun seeing new country
>if nothing else. Can
>anyone tell me what roads
>will be closed off when
>the hunt starts and at
>what point?

You should have recieved a map from New Mexico Game and Fish, Forest Service or BLM, I can't remember which entity, that shows open roads, closed roads and gates. Take your bike with you. If it's dry, you can ride your bike on roads behind gates that will help you get away from the main road quicker. Watch out for the drilling rigs though!

I received my tag but no maps with open or closed roads with it? the blm map i have shows roads everywhere and the forest map doesn't show the roads that will be closed from what i can see either?

I am 1 of those "gas guys" and a guide here in Unit 2. I was lucky enough to draw the 1st 2b rifle deer hunt aswell. Alot of these guys are right in what they are telling you. The 1st and 2nd hunt is actually pretty awesome if you put in the time scouting and know the unit well. Last year I had the 2nd rifle hunt and the migration was still not happening. Not a real good idea to rely on the migration. The resident deer here are the true monsters. One tip I can give you on your hunt is spend alot of time behind the glass, and check the rimrock. There are a ton of roads here so 4 wheelers are not needed. In fact if I were you leave those at home or in camp. The majority of the BIG resident bucks we find are not in the forest. Oh and 1 more thing, the deer here are very nocturnal.

Thanks for all the posts and tips on this unit, any others out there that have had success on this unit? Can't wait until Oct.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom