2B January roads?

JDElec

My daughter was lucky enough to draw the 2b january bow tag I've hunted the Nov. rifle tag before so at least I've been there before. From what I've read the roads can be very very bad everyone says chains chains chains and such, when I hunted the Nov tag we brought atv's but never unloaded them just hiked. There we piles of roads some open some closed if they were open they weren't too bad to just drive on. In January is it the same or are there area' s that are "open" but too snowy for trucks or If it is an open road is it plowed enough to drive a truck. Is there enough snow to be thinking of snowmobiles? Any insight or advice would be great.

Thanks
Jeff

id expect lots of snow in january, and lots of deer too.id take the chains and a couple spare tires just in case. that should be a great hunt cangrats to you and your daughter, and good luck

Last time I was there it was nothing but mud. It was hard to even walk. You would "grow" 3" with all the mud stuck to the bottom of your boot. The year before was dry as a bone. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Good Luck to you and your family.

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong
for so long they seem right"- Joe E Sikora 2009

Like already mentioned, the roads can be anywhere from dry to muddy as heck to frozen mud/snow to deep powder.

There are several places in Farmington to purchase tire chains. Don't waste your money on the cheapo's, get good commercial mud chains & chain tensioners.

A lot of the newer 1/2 ton IFS trucks can not run chains on the front so be sure to test fit them before heading into the hills.

Good luck!!

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

Jan hunt, Mud snow and yes big heavy mud chains.

Unless you dont intend to get off on any dirt roads

I hunted the Jan hunt last year. I bought chains and never needed them but could have very easily. If you need any other info let me know and I will fill you in on what we encountered last year.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom