2nd choice 11, 42?

Paradox

My dad got sick and won't be able to hunt this year. I am looking for some good 2nd choice places to apply, good chance to draw, decent to hunt. Any thoughts on 11, or 41-42?

Ed

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

I hunted 421 for 5 days during the third season in 2008. I never saw a buck on public land. I did see a couple nice bull moose though.

Beanman, got your message.

It would be a rifle hunt, season won't matter unless there is a better choice for success, or better chance to draw one over the other.

Also, any other units I should consider as a second choice option?

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

Unit 11 is not a great second choice tag. The area where the animals area found in 11 is limited and the areas where there are animals is hunted VERY hard unless you can get access to Ppvt property. Then lets not forget to mention it is not a guaranteed second choice draw. Only a small percentage of people draw as a second choice, even for a doe tag, and as I was informed by the DOW tag numbers will not likely see much of an increase yet...If you want to hunt and have a better guaranteed second choice tag then you need to take a look at another unit like 3/301 which is just north of 11. They have a TON of deer around there and if you get to the more remote spots I have been informed there are some rather good animals to be found as well. Some real whoopers come outta 301 too.

Good Luck

Tail

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom