2nd left over drawing

BCS

first of all i am pretty sure they dont even give out controlled tags in idaho...since this is my 11 year without pulling a tag ....let alone a sought after tag...o well, cant win if you dont play...

how many of you have actually pulled one of the 2nd left over tags???

hope everyones year of hunting is enjoyable!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-11 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p]I never have yet and Hell it took ten years of trying just to get the Elk tag I got this year that was the first draw .But as you say cant win if you don't play. I don't think I will play the 2nd drawing this year.I am going to spend my time looking for Elk. I just wish I had a Chicken to sacrifice to the Elk Gods.To help me out on this hunt.

The surprising thing about young fools is how many survive to become old fools.

the way i understand it.....only with a limited number, that are not originally picked up by august, will be in the second draw.

My buddy drew an amazing late bull hunt in eastern idaho on the second chance drawing.u can get on the idaho fish and game website and look and see how many were not picked up by first choice applicants. I always do second chance u never know

Odds are significantly lower in second drawing than first, but they are better than the lottery and millions play that.

A few units each year actually have better odds in the 2nd Drawing. You just never know which ones until it is too late.

Apply anyway. You might get luckly.

Grizzly

Successful people in the 1st drawing have until August 1st to buy their tags I believe. The 2nd Drawing is usually between the 5th and the 15th or somewhere there abouts I think.

>A few units each year actually
>have better odds in the
>2nd Drawing. You just
>never know which ones until
>it is too late.
>
>Apply anyway. You might get luckly.
>
>
>Grizzly

This is a misleading statement. Even moderate draws like 39 early buck or 51 late bulls that are ~3:1 odds for the regular tag are 15 or 50 to 1 in the second drawing. It is very easy to look at the odds on the F&G website.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/ch/odds.cfm

You might find a chitty doe hunt with mostly private ground somewhere with only 1 tag available where only 1 guy puts in, but do not think your odds won't be multiple times worse in the second drawing. I'm not saying don't put in, I have good friends who have drawn good cow and even a 32 late buck tag.

Good Luck

I put in for over 30 hunts in 7+ states each year. Some years (I'm not going to go dig through my records to find out which years/units) I have had better odds in the 2nd Draw than I did in the 1st for the same unit. I only put in for trophy units.

I believe the reason is that the 10% NonResident cap does not apply in the 2nd Draw, so everybody is equal.

Grizzly

Coalminer,
Unlimited tag controlled hunts have to be applied for in the first drawing, you can't get them in the second draw. I found that out the hard way one year. It is stated in the regs but you have to look for it and it could be worded more clearly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom