2nd or 3rd season mule deer hunt

map1

I have 4 pts and the unit I'm looking at requires 4pts for 2nd season draw and 5 or 6 for 3rd season. Don't really want to wait another year or 2 to hunt but at the same time when points are burned want to get the most out of the hunt.
Question I'm asking is it worth it to wait for 3rd season since it's early November and the ruts starting to kick?? I've hunted other states in that 2nd season mid to late October time frame and big bucks can be scattered. Any info appreciated!!!!

Really just 1 or 2 extra points for 3rd season?

Tough call, if it's only an extra point or 2 I would wait it out for 3rd season.

Really depends on what you want out of the hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-14 AT 01:59PM (MST)[p]If you're know that it 1 to 2 points i would wait

And another thing is that there might be a point creep each year, it has happened before and will continue not only in CO but else where too.

Here is a 2nd season buck from 2013 in CO.

6112jackscobuck1.jpg

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I suggest you hunt third season in a 2016 if you have enough points. If not, hunt the second season. In that year, the season dates push back a week so the 2nd season is in late October and the third season runs through Nov. 13th which is typically when the 4th season falls. The late dates that year could really help deer movement and rut activity. Just my 2 cents worth.
Hoopscoach

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud"

" I've hunted other states in that 2nd season mid to late October time frame and big bucks can be scattered."

I think you answered your own question. Bucks are generally scattered second season and bigger bucks tough to find. But, lots of guys are disappointed with third season as well. Just a matter of what you want out of the hunt and the situation of that particular area. If you want a better chance of seeing rutting activity starting, that 2016 third would be my pick.

Agreed that it's a tough call. We've hunted areas where we did just fine in the 2nd season, but where we've hunted the last 2 times, there is a distinct advantage to the 3rd. In 2009, for example, we hunted 2nd and all the bucks and does seemed to be in the same general area and accessible to us. In 2011, we hunted 2nd in a different place, saw lots of does, but only smaller bucks. The guy we rented the cabin from said to come back in the 3rd and we'd see a big difference. We did in 2013 and he was right as all 3 of us killed nice bucks. We saw less elk, however.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom